Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Those of you with coilovers on your V1 please enter

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Those of you with coilovers on your V1 please enter

Finishing up my install and have some questions.

On the rear... the coil spring adjustable perch adjusts the ride height if I am correct.

The seperate shock is also adjustable as it can be threaded into or out of its base. What is the general way to set that correctly? Should I adjust it so when the car is up on a jack the mount on the top of the shock is flush with the body of the car?

Thanks. This is a Megan Racing kit which is new to the market, but may be the same as D2, K-Sport... it's 32 way adjustable as far as dampening not sure of the others...
Old 06-17-2014, 06:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't some people converted those units to a true coilover? I don't know if this is actually advisable, but may be something to look into. That said, I have coilovers but they're the LG Motorsports units.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the reason you can thread the shock into the lower mount is because if you convert it to a "true coilover" that's how you adjust ride height. you most likely don't want to mess with the shock height when they are separate.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have a reason to mess with the factory setup for the spring so I won't be converting it to a coil-over. I lengenthed the shock quite a bit in order to reach the mounting positions when installing since it is shorter than the stock shock.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

that's fine, i'm sure.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
That said, I have coilovers but they're the LG Motorsports units.
lol what a dink! Oooo....I have the LG coilovers.......

OP, the way I would adjust the shock body is just measure the factory shock length, and set the Meghan shock to the same length. Or, with the suspension unloaded and hanging, set it to where you could install the lower bolt no problem. Since for you it has nothing to do with ride height that is what I would do. Get the Jam nut good and tight!
Old 06-17-2014, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys... NIK yeah I think that is just what I did, figured when installed with the car jacked up there shouldn't be any tension on the shock.

Are LG coilovers true coilover in the back as well?
Old 06-17-2014, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason the shock body is adjustable is so you can adjust where your shock travel is (more up travel or down travel). The easiest way is to adjust the height so its in the middle of the shock stroke. And then if you need more travel in one direction you can adjust from there.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

How do you go about adjusting so it is in the middle of the shock stroke?
Old 06-17-2014, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

measure the middle of the rod. the rod should be directly in the middle of the full stroke of the shock when the car is at rest.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, makes sense.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
lol what a dink! Oooo....I have the LG coilovers.......
Yeah, and my seats are better than yours too! (actually I don't know which Sparcos you have).

I only mentioned it because they're setup different.

Originally Posted by MN_V
Thanks guys... NIK yeah I think that is just what I did, figured when installed with the car jacked up there shouldn't be any tension on the shock.

Are LG coilovers true coilover in the back as well?
Yes.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bio248
measure the middle of the rod. the rod should be directly in the middle of the full stroke of the shock when the car is at rest.
I'm not sure this is true. I would take the spring out and run the suspension through it's entire travel (using a jack) before I decided to go this route.

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
Yeah, and my seats are better than yours too! (actually I don't know which Sparcos you have).
Haha I think you have the Chronos? In which case you are correct as I have the r100's

Edit: I see in your sig that you have the Evo's. Same difference.

I just found it comical that you put it out that you had the LG setup. Since this is online text you can't get a feel for how is was meant to come across, so it is up to the reader to decide that. To me it sounded like "I don't have to deal with this problem as I have the best" (as I brush some dirt off my shoulder) lol I'm just pickin. And yes, your set up is > mine.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
I'm not sure this is true. I would take the spring out and run the suspension through it's entire travel (using a jack) before I decided to go this route.
it's a decent way to get it quickly dialed in without much guess work. it's probably not exactly in the middle of the stroke, but it's exactly in the middle from each end of the strut body. really you're just making sure you're not going to smash the seal on either end with the valve the whole time (riding the bump stops).
Old 06-17-2014, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I've got my ride height set and I'm taking it for test ride and I am getting violent banging from the back over bumps.

The top of the rear shock came with a sleeve with a washer on top and bottom. It seems to be too long? When the shock rebounds in the back I think it is banging on the walls there.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I definitely do not think this kit is the same as the D2 kit. Basically so far I think it is junk and has some serious issues. I'm already working on a return but of course that will be a battle and hassle.

The kit doesn't come with the advertised pillow-ball mounts. It has some junk washers and a spacer that is too long resulting in the shock jumping up and down banging into the body of the car on both compression and rebound. I talked to a tech at MR and he said there should not be any extra length with the spacer. None of the stock hardware fits the shock because it is larger diameter so that's not a fix.

Here's the rear spring, very short and maxed out on the adjustment it is still 1.5" below stock height.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Wow that's unfortunate to hear. You could buy banksi rsms to use with the rear of you want to keep the Mr setup. I don't see anything on the rear shock setup that fixes the position of the top of the rod.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah the Branski mounts would help a lot. But that spring issue sucks!!! D2's you could go higher than stock height.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

You can also just buy some 2.5" coilover springs that are longer and whatever spring rate you want. again this is assuming you want to keep the Mr setup. Also we all know the LG motorsports aren't the best . The best is obviously the Penske triple adjustable coilovers.
The following users liked this post:
BrownMagic (01-14-2020)
Old 06-17-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is all very unfortunate to hear. I hope a return. Goes well for you. I think this may solidify my decision on a d2 kit. I also will probably take onefastv ' advice on recommended spring rates.

Quick Reply: Those of you with coilovers on your V1 please enter