Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Trap Door Oil Pan Baffle for Cadillac LS2/LS6/LSA CTS-V Oil Pan

Old 08-21-2014, 06:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Trap Door Oil Pan Baffle for Cadillac LS2/LS6/LSA CTS-V Oil Pan

We've released a trap-door oil pan baffle that bolts right into the factory oil pan for the 2004-2015 Cadillac CTS-V. The baffle, part number EGM-206, is simple to install and retails for $199. This pan is also popular in retro-rods and a complete oil pan swap kit which includes the oil pan, baffle and all accessories required for installation is available for $475.95 (part number EGM-456).

More information available here: http://www.improvedracing.com/baffle...fle-p-491.html

While the factory baffling can only handle up to 1.0 lateral G before starving for oil, the Improved Racing baffle-equipped pans can handle over 1.4 sustained lateral Gs without losses in oil pressure. The chart below compares stock baffling (red) to our trap door baffling (black) in a GTO (different pan, but performance will be similar).

Post up if you have any questions and we'd be happy to answer them.
Attached Thumbnails Trap Door Oil Pan Baffle for Cadillac LS2/LS6/LSA CTS-V Oil Pan-egm-206_1_lg.jpg   Trap Door Oil Pan Baffle for Cadillac LS2/LS6/LSA CTS-V Oil Pan-egm-206_8_lg.jpg   Trap Door Oil Pan Baffle for Cadillac LS2/LS6/LSA CTS-V Oil Pan-stock_vs_egm-204.jpg  

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Old 08-21-2014, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Why couldn't you have created this a few years ago when I was replacing my engine?!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How difficult is removing the oil pan on a V1. This appears like a good option for high mileage engines that need gaskets done anyway.

Last edited by garrettg; 08-22-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by garrettg
How difficult is removing the oil pan on a V1. This appears like a good option for high mileage engines that need gaskets done anyway.
We haven't dropped the oil pan on a CTS-V with the engine in place, but in most cars it will typically involve unbolting the motor mounts and raising the engine a couple of inches to get enough clearance between the oil pan and the subframe crossmember to get the oil pan out. In some cases you might also have the loosen the subframe and lower it slightly. Here's a thread that discusses it: https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...r-removal.html

Old 08-25-2014, 01:22 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Their oil cooler adapters are the slimmest and best i have seen. A MUST if using 1 7/8 headers.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Their slimmest cooler adapter block fit with 1 3/4 headers in a first gen V? Every unit I've tried so far has not been even close. Hoses are always touching the headers.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

It depends a lot on your particular headers as well. Some headers have far more clearance in that spot than others, regardless of diameter.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kooks 1 3/4 in gen 1 V.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:37 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

It will fit, i had it with Kooks 1 3/4 and 1 7/8.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Removing the oil pan while the motor is in the car is possible but a major pain. I had to replace mine because if a crack in the front of the pan.

To remove: Get the car as high off the ground as possible. The pan has to tip out the back and you need enough height for the length of the pan.

Unbolt the lower portion on the motor mounts and jack up the motor as high as possible.

Remove the 4 bolts holding the front cradle. Let the cradle hang from the shocks. Remove all the pan bolts. There are some tricky ones up front and in the middle of the pan. Once those are out the fun begins.

Carefully pull down on the pan to release the gasket. There were parts of mine that stuck to the bottom of the block. Next you'll have to fight the power steering and AC lines. They are in the way of the front of the pan. Next keep working the pan down as much as possible until you clear the pickup tube. The carefully lower the back down and pull it easily toward the front of the car.

Installation is a bit awkward as well. Take your time. Would I remove the pan just to install this trap door? No, never on a daily driver. If you road race or constantly pull more than 1g, it would still be a tough sell for me. Having been there done that, it's a job I'd never want to do again unless the motor was out of the car.

FYI there are two oil pans available. One for the 04-07 years, cost, around 400. Or you can find the 09 and up pan for 130. That is what I did. The 09 style pan has 4 bosses on the side for an oil cooler that will not clear the cradle as is out of the box. You have to trim them down.
Attached Thumbnails Trap Door Oil Pan Baffle for Cadillac LS2/LS6/LSA CTS-V Oil Pan-image-4030969410.jpg   Trap Door Oil Pan Baffle for Cadillac LS2/LS6/LSA CTS-V Oil Pan-image-2259584202.jpg  
Old 09-02-2014, 04:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 05CTSV
Removing the oil pan while the motor is in the car is possible but a major pain. I had to replace mine because if a crack in the front of the pan.

To remove: Get the car as high off the ground as possible. The pan has to tip out the back and you need enough height for the length of the pan.

Unbolt the lower portion on the motor mounts and jack up the motor as high as possible.

Remove the 4 bolts holding the front cradle. Let the cradle hang from the shocks. Remove all the pan bolts. There are some tricky ones up front and in the middle of the pan. Once those are out the fun begins.

Carefully pull down on the pan to release the gasket. There were parts of mine that stuck to the bottom of the block. Next you'll have to fight the power steering and AC lines. They are in the way of the front of the pan. Next keep working the pan down as much as possible until you clear the pickup tube. The carefully lower the back down and pull it easily toward the front of the car.

Installation is a bit awkward as well. Take your time. Would I remove the pan just to install this trap door? No, never on a daily driver. If you road race or constantly pull more than 1g, it would still be a tough sell for me. Having been there done that, it's a job I'd never want to do again unless the motor was out of the car.

FYI there are two oil pans available. One for the 04-07 years, cost, around 400. Or you can find the 09 and up pan for 130. That is what I did. The 09 style pan has 4 bosses on the side for an oil cooler that will not clear the cradle as is out of the box. You have to trim them down.
Great info! I wasn't aware that it was required to trim the oil cooler bosses for installation in the earlier chassis. It's still very much worth it because of the much lower cost of the newer pan. We added this information to our website for other customers. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trap Door Oil Pan Baffle for Cadillac LS2/LS6/LSA CTS-V Oil Pan