Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Is my sway bar twisted?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my sway bar twisted?

I was changing out the endlinks that were making noise up front and putting in adjustable ones. With the car on a lift I jacked up the front with floor jacks by the lower control arms so the car was just coming of the lift and all the weight was on the control arms making it right where it would be if it was on the ground with the wheels on. Looking at my sway bar without endlinks on the driver side is sitting 3/4 inch higher than the passenger side. Took the measurement from the same spot of the control arm on both sides to the hole where the endlink would go into the sway bar. Is this just how the sway bar is or does it sound twisted. I have assumed this car was in an accident at one time but that is simply me guessing. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you certain the control arms are both jacked up to the exact same height, and not potentially off by 3/4"? If you were going to take a measurement, I would do it from the chassis, or some common fixed surface above the sway bar. Or, better yet, just drop the bar down and lay it on the floor.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:12 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your garage is anything like mine, it's not level.... may need to check lift with level and then reference control arms with respect to lift
Old 10-02-2014, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Obvious question....are the end links adjusted to the same length? What kind of bars are you running?
Old 10-02-2014, 07:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

He said the end links are disconnected, so he's measuring the sway bar in its relaxed state. I'd pull the sway bar out. 4 bolts and it will slide right out very easily. At least then you can lay it on the floor and get a better look.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
He said the end links are disconnected, so he's measuring the sway bar in its relaxed state. I'd pull the sway bar out. 4 bolts and it will slide right out very easily. At least then you can lay it on the floor and get a better look.
My bad..

Just leave the bar in it, let the control arms hit the bottom drop onto their lower stops and measure to the sway bar. If they aren't the same, something is twisted.

Wonder if these bars were twisted before they finally broke...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...hotchskis.html
Old 10-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is my stock front bar. I was a little pressed for time so I didnt drop the bar, once I do have some thats is what I will be doing. Even if the floor is uneven it shouldnt make a difference, right? I jacked the car up off the lift by the control arms. The wheels were at ride height because if I twisted the jack to go up any higher it is just raising the car more not the suspension. This is all while the bar was disconnected.

Quick Reply: Is my sway bar twisted?