Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Couple suggestions for transmission and rear end fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Couple suggestions for transmission and rear end fluid change

Last night I changed the rear end fluid and tranny fluid. I followed the guides on ctsfaqs. Let me suggest first when changing the rear fluid use either a stubby 10mm Allen wrench or just take off the drivers side muffler like I did. Much easier to access the fill hole.

For the tranny fluid, do not remove the fill hole first. It's makes a huge mess, flow is unregulated. Leave the fill plug in, remove the temp sensor, then control the flow by loosening the fill plug. You'll thank me later I think I wasted at least 1.5 hours struggling with the rear end and cleaning the mess from the tranny fluid.

Otherwise it is very straight forward.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason to remove the fill plug first is that if for some reason it's stuck, you realize it before you've just drained your transmission of all fluid. Still, good idea to put it back in to help control the rate at which the fluid drains. I needed a 25lb bag of kitty litter and a few cans of brake clean to clean up the mess that I created on my driveway. Fun afternoon.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:29 PM
Launching!

What kind of fluid did you go with? I used redline in the diff and mobile 1 in the trans, I'm not really happy with the trans fluid and will probably drain in the spring when I get the car back out after winter...
Old 10-03-2014, 12:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GFallen
What kind of fluid did you go with? I used redline in the diff and mobile 1 in the trans, I'm not really happy with the trans fluid and will probably drain in the spring when I get the car back out after winter...
I did redline in the rear and the tranny. Somehow I messed up my amazon order and only did 3 qts redline ATF fluid so I subbed 1 qt Mobil 1 ATF with it. No issues so far it will be fine those two will mix. Most people like the mobil 1 ATF as well but honestly I can't tell a difference in noise or smoothness.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I did mine I went with the 3 quarts Redline D4 ATF and 1 quart Redline MTL 70W80 GL-4 blend and I was pretty pleased with the results. One of the benefits for me was that it went into reverse quite a bit easier than previously. I thought it was just a fluke at first but it has consistently been better. Not perfect but definitely better.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just get a $6 fluid pump with a hose and route that up to the fill hole on the diff or tranny. No need to remove the muffler. For some removing mufflers is easy but for us up north it may require a sawza lol... those clamps have become one with the pipes...

Quick Reply: Couple suggestions for transmission and rear end fluid change