Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Starter removal without removing the cats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 06:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter removal without removing the cats?

Will the starter come out without removing my converters? I just installed CS mounts and was wondering if the added room from the mounts will let the starter drop out?
Old 10-14-2014, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 69stangscj
Will the starter come out without removing my converters? I just installed CS mounts and was wondering if the added room from the mounts will let the starter drop out?
I've heard it will but even with the cat off, the starter doesn't come out too easily. Mine wasn't hitting the motor mount itself but the lower motor mount bracket. I took an 80grit flappy disc on grinder and relieved the lower bracket a little and now my starter comes out easily.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With cs mounts it will come out without doing anything else, just tip it way up, it will come out. Getting it back in is a bit trickier.

With stock mounts I had to loosen the mount just enough to edge it out.

Removing the cat definitely makes it quicker in either case, but I've not had to..

Interesting tip about shaving the bracket..
Old 10-15-2014, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadzilla
With cs mounts it will come out without doing anything else, just tip it way up, it will come out. Getting it back in is a bit trickier.

With stock mounts I had to loosen the mount just enough to edge it out.

Removing the cat definitely makes it quicker in either case, but I've not had to..

Interesting tip about shaving the bracket..
It seemed like all I needed was 1/8 or so and you could clearly see where the starter had been rubbing on it as i fought with it so i went at it. Nothing fragile looking about that bracket....wouldn't be the first time I clearanced something like that...

Quick Reply: Starter removal without removing the cats?