Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Headlight Upgrade

Old 10-25-2014, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Upgrade

I have a 2004 black on black CTS-V and I'm wanting to upgrade my headlights to these...http://www.carid.com/2004-cadillac-c...-15320902.html has anybody ever used them before?

Also I'm wanting to go away from the "yellowish" high/low beams and fog lights. Any recommendations?
Old 10-27-2014, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why don't you refinish your headlights with an orbital polisher and some polishing pads? There's tons of different bulbs for your high or fogs available. Keep it halogen in the highs.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the stock headlights are a billion times better quality. legit D1S bulbs and ballasts will always be better than any plug and play kit that you'd be forced to use on those to keep the HID.

switch the bulb temperature to something like 5000K if you want it to be more blue (and rice).

the high beam is always going to be halogen. so just forget about that.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Those aren't bad replacements if you can get them in the $200 range, but are the factory headlight washer functionality still maintained with that unit?

I agree with the other posters above, refinish your originals. You can't beat factory quality and value. As for high beams, HIDs are not recommended for them because they will not warm up to its proper temperature during the short duration when you operate them, unless you decide to keep them on for more than a minute, which at that point they will be at their operating temperature (some people that live in the rural actually benefit from doing HIDs highs).
Old 10-29-2014, 01:33 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

will not fit with Factory HID systems...
Old 10-29-2014, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get those headlight son ebay for about $200. they are not plug and play with D1S bulbs however you can install aftermarket H7 (i believe) HID kit from DDM or the mfg you prefer for relatively cheap. These look significantly better IMO and the cutoff is still pretty crisp (not quite as good as OEM). I will say the fitment is obviously not as good as OEM it does sit a little recessed from the quarter panel line but is not obvious unless you're up close looking.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

I'm wanting to have the housing black to match the car/rims but from everything I'm reading I cant switch from HID to halogen without modifying the wiring harness. I know they wont be as bright but I figure with the CCFL's and halogen bulb it would be close. Yes the headlight washer are functional.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sappertodd
I'm wanting to have the housing black to match the car/rims but from everything I'm reading I cant switch from HID to halogen without modifying the wiring harness. I know they wont be as bright but I figure with the CCFL's and halogen bulb it would be close. Yes the headlight washer are functional.
Those afternarket headlights do not support the headlight washer function. They absolutely do allow use of afternarket HID bulbs with no modification to the wiring harness
Old 10-30-2014, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

bake the stock headlights and pry the lenses off. then paint the insides. like mine:

Old 11-15-2014, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

damn those look good bio248
Old 11-17-2014, 07:55 AM
TECH Resident

that was prior to the outsides getting refinished at the body shop, too. they more resemble this now:

Old 11-17-2014, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bio248
the stock headlights are a billion times better quality. legit D1S bulbs and ballasts will always be better than any plug and play kit that you'd be forced to use on those to keep the HID.

switch the bulb temperature to something like 5000K if you want it to be more blue (and rice).

the high beam is always going to be halogen. so just forget about that.
6K D1S bulbs in stock lows with stock ballasts, 6K HID fogs w/aftermarket ballasts . . . FAR FROM RICE:

Usable light for a loooong distance:
Old 11-18-2014, 12:42 AM
12 Second Club

First just get them off of Ebay for around $200-$250 like others have said. My personal vote is just spiff up your stock ones. I bought the halo headlights since my car was backed into. The halo's are not of spectacular quality, one of mine doesn't always light up, this has happened on 2 sets now. Then some of the halo's only seem to light up half way and are barely visible during the day. Installing a HID retrofit kit on the cheap lights is fairly simple to do, just plug it in and go. I have my ballasts (against others advice) stuck down to the bottom inside the light housing. The HID kits do not always stay lit when you start the car, I have to turn the headlights off and back on after I start the car when it is cool outside. This is possibly fixed with a relay kit, but I have not tried it.
I used silverstar bulbs in my high beams and a HID kit for my fogs too. All together I am happy, just things don't work as seamless as stock. DDM is who I got my hid stuff from.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sappertodd
No modification of the wiring harness is needed. It is all plug and play. I know others talk about getting stock cts harnesses and other weird things. I just installed the hid bulb, mounted the ballast, and plugged them in. With those aftermarket lights you will lose the washer function also.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LAYGO
6K D1S bulbs in stock lows with stock ballasts, 6K HID fogs w/aftermarket ballasts . . .
a legitimate D1S bulb is way different than a plug and play H1 setup.

however, i still think 6000K is still too high in the spectrum to say it's a good 'useable' bulb for light output. i've had bulbs that high in the color range and they're just simply not as good as a good old fashioned 4300K bulb.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight Upgrade