Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

DSS axles, which size on which side?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DSS axles, which size on which side?

I've been searching through old threads and only found one post with any mention of which axle gets installed on which side. I think DSS uses the larger diameter axle on the driver's left and the smaller diameter axle on the passenger right. Gforce appears to do the opposite. Anyone with both DSS axles installed that can confirm this?
Old 10-30-2014, 07:48 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The shorter one goes on the driver side
Old 10-30-2014, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
The shorter one goes on the driver side
Could they be assembled and installed on the wrong side? I dropped off the DSS axles and a spare set of stockers with my local mechanic. I assumed the assembly process would be straightforward, with only one obvious path. When I picked up the car, I asked about different lengths, and was told they measured the same. Car drives fine, no noises, no leaks. Axle on the driver side measures 36mm and the passenger is 31mm, no way to tell which is longer while the car sits on the ground. Just going to eat at me not knowing for sure.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:56 AM
Launching!

Are you running stock diff? If so I'm not sure, but with the 8.8 and DSS axles the shorter one belongs on the driver side. Not sure the exact measurements, but I remember they looked the same at first glance, but one is definitely shorter that the other when you measure them. I measured them like four times cause I was worried I was gonna put them in backwards.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fweasel
... I asked about different lengths, and was told they measured the same ...
They probably didn't even notice and installed it correctly. It's really hard to install them on the wrong sides.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rand49er
They probably didn't even notice and installed it correctly. It's really hard to install them on the wrong sides.
good to know. I didn't have the time to do it myself so I farmed it out. A little more research dug up that DSS chose to make the "long" axle the skinny one and the short axle the fat one. Brian says the short one goes on the driver's side and that's the axle that measures the largest on my car so I should be good to go. I did some "product testing" at the on-ramp signal meter this morning and no wheel hop. Mission accomplished.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:14 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The passenger one would be popping out of the diff when your suspension unloaded over bumps if they were installed on the wrong sides. Your good.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
The passenger one would be popping out of the diff when your suspension unloaded over bumps if they were installed on the wrong sides. Your good.
No, you're good.

Quick Reply: DSS axles, which size on which side?