Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

8.8, cheap axle chat

Old 11-08-2014, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 8.8, cheap axle chat

I really want to upgrade to 8.8 but just can't swallow the cost of the super strong axles. I'm going to stay N/A and street...I might hit the track for fun, but not looking to set records. Just want to get away from this expensive glass diff Anybody else feel this way? I'm also on a budget.
Maybe its not a huge upgrade, some may feel its weak sauce...however I'm down for discussing it.
The cobra rears are harder to find an much more expensive. In a nutshell I wanna use a
t-bird case
28 spline track lock with the better clutches
Whatever gear ratio (undecided)
Stock ford inners (cryo'd, welded, reinforced)
Custom anti-hop axle tubes
Stock V outer stubs.

Obviously this would be less robust than 31 spline chromoly stubs with 930 joints....but it should still be a significant improvement versus just stock setup with anti-hop axles. It could be damn cheap too.
T-bird axles are $50 each from rock auto, and you only need the inner. 300m tubes should never break. Stock v outers good to 600hp they say???
I've got a line on complete t-bird 8.8, bothaxles, plus driveshaft for $200. I could get in cheap and still have an upgrade path with tons of room to grow if I can just get the axles sticksdone.

Would love to hear your thoughts, please chime in.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why you going to stay 28spline if you want to upgrade. look into a explorer 8.8 with 31 spline. I bought 31 spline 410 gears LSD 8.8 at the junkyard for $150. Do a search on the axle codes and you should be able to find the right one for you.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Explorer differentials not compatible with CS or DV8S brackets....otherwise I'm entirely on board with that idea.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I think what he meant was buy the used Explorer diff, then pull the 31-spline T-lok diff out of the housing and put it into the Tbird housing.

I'm definitely interested in seeing what you can come up with, as I have an 8.8" sitting in my garage (Mark VIII aluminum housing version that I scored for $100) and my current diff is in pretty sad shape. I think CS will be offering an adapter soon to use the stock driveshaft with the 8.8". I have no idea what that adapter will cost, but hopefully it'll be quite a bit cheaper than the DSS driveshaft options. If similar cost savings can be found for the axles I think this whole swap will be quite a bit more attractive.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:31 AM
TECH Regular

I believe the stubs for explorers diffs are different than 31 spline cobra. Is 31 spline evebn that big of a deal for bolt-on n/a power levels.?
Old 11-08-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hefftone
I believe the stubs for explorers diffs are different than 31 spline cobra. Is 31 spline evebn that big of a deal for bolt-on n/a power levels.?
We have a pretty heavy car. In a cobra they break axles, which is why they go solid rears. Cobras run 31 splines. Now its completely up to you, but I'd run the 31 splines because they are stronger than the 28 splines. If the 31s break in the cobra, I have to wonder what will it take to break a 28 spline axle shaft... Probably not much
Old 11-08-2014, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
We have a pretty heavy car. In a cobra they break axles, which is why they go solid rears. Cobras run 31 splines. Now its completely up to you, but I'd run the 31 splines because they are stronger than the 28 splines. If the 31s break in the cobra, I have to wonder what will it take to break a 28 spline axle shaft... Probably not much
I agree it makes sense to go 31 spline but I was under the impression that when the cobra guys go solid axle, they go to and 8.8 that would have.....31 spline axles.

I've always heard they go solid axle to go 4 link or whatever because they're drag racing, not breaking inner CV splines.

Frank at DSS said he could make the 8.8 adapter for about $150 bucks.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls1247
I agree it makes sense to go 31 spline but I was under the impression that when the cobra guys go solid axle, they go to and 8.8 that would have.....31 spline axles.

I've always heard they go solid axle to go 4 link or whatever because they're drag racing, not breaking inner CV splines.

Frank at DSS said he could make the 8.8 adapter for about $150 bucks.
Lol, round and round we go...
Its my understanding stock V axles are 28 spline and similar diameter to 28 spline ford IRS stuff....that right?
So you get a stronger diffential case, reduce hop with sticks....weak link is probably gonna be the ford CV tripod, and not the splined steel stub....t-bird axle breaks...its $50 from rockauto (+no core) and instead of potentially a $1500 shitty getrag.
Cobra axles are around $200 each from what I've seen (autozone), if the explorer inners fit that would be cool, but I think they are longer with a different seal or something. Edit:just found cobra axles on partsgeek for $55....+$15 core, advance for $59 +$5 core.

I gotta do some reading about how these cobra guys are breaking stuff....drag radials at the strip I'm not gonna count that ,,(because if that is your intentions, you should be fortifying further)

Lastly, what is this 8.8 adaptor??? Lol, what is it adapting?

Last edited by hefftone; 11-08-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hefftone
Lastly, what is this 8.8 adaptor??? Lol, what is it adapting?
The 8.8 needs a longer driveshaft than the stock V1 diff so there has been promises that we will get an adapter to make up this difference thus saving us the need for a new driveshaft.

I couldn't tell you about the rest of it....good luck, watching with interest.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

eventually.......I have all the hard parts and the adapter is designed, we just have to make it and install all the parts....
Old 11-11-2014, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 54inches
eventually.......I have all the hard parts and the adapter is designed, we just have to make it and install all the parts....

Black friday group buy!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

Here is an interesting article...about an IRS that was developed for the S197 mustang but was shelved.....did it use the 04 cobra diff? Nope....it used an explorer style 8.8 diff...

www.drivingenthusiast.net/sec-blog/?p=11329
Old 11-11-2014, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

What about an 8.8 out of a Lincoln? I have a client that has a complete one laying in his yard.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bdrussell
What about an 8.8 out of a Lincoln? I have a client that has a complete one laying in his yard.
What model Lincoln? If its a mark viii , thats aluminum case IRS with 28 spline carrier, no LSD (usually) and probably numerically low gear (3.08 maybe)
Old 11-11-2014, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bdrussell
I'll take it if he wants it gone. The gears and the diff will be changed anyways.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Gentlemen, there is a full thread with all of this info that I started a few years ago, so you don't have to ask all these questions again. I will bump it to the top for your convenience.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll take it if he wants it gone. The gears and the diff will be changed anyways.
Well, the deal is he owes me money, so that could be an option, but I am assuming you are figuring free?

Let me know what it's worth to you, perhaps it will work for us all....

I'm pretty sure it has an aluminum case
Old 11-13-2014, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, the deal is he owes me money, so that could be an option, but I am assuming you are figuring free?

I'm pretty sure it has an aluminum case
Old 11-13-2014, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm pretty sure it was an aluminum case, the cradle, everything is there. He said it has a limited slip(clutch posi) and gears were 3.30 or something like that.

Cheers
RustyNCA
Old 11-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Teching In

the cobra IRS doesn't break because of the splines... it breaks for the same reasons ours do. Its a poor design that lends itself to wheel hop, and once it starts hopping people are to stupid to let off or peddle it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 8.8, cheap axle chat