Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Stability Control on 05 V, inconsistent?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stability Control on 05 V, inconsistent?

In my V I've had several occasions where I'm not near the point of losing grip, but moving, and stability control clamps down. Another instance where it seemed to practically prevent me losing any control when I pushed on gravel. I thought it was very sensitive and effective, no complaints.

On the other hand I've had two instances on dry pavement where the back end steps out somewhat unexpectedly in a turn and the system lets it swing pretty far before kicking into action. Right after you counter steer appropriately stability bites down on the rear corner brake and sends you into a difficult to control correction that requires whipping the wheel back and forth. Fighting against what the ESC thinks you need. I've had enough seat time in other cars to know that this is heavily flawed. Competition mode seems equally as bad.

Does this system have any known problems or flaws? I'm inclined to take it to an empty parking lot and spend some time figuring out how it responds because the last thing I need is it doing something unpredictable and turning a correction into an actual accident.

Last edited by Lbar; 11-23-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always controlled rear end grip with my right foot. That primitive system has served me well for 30 years.

In other words, I find it scary and unpredictable myself. In stock trim this car doesn't really make enough horsepower to need it IMHO.

Last edited by ls1247; 11-23-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you have a sensor going out? Does it make a difference in the direction you are turning? Mine works really well. I have had my car at a small track and was in comp mode. I was stepping out the rear and controlling it on my own. In comp mode if you have to correct with more than 30° or so of steering input, I think that's when the car tries to correct.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS1, same but for a couple less decades. My last performance car was a 03 Cobra, no problems there and that car was much more of a handful.

ryrides, I haven't done any real testing. This is more or less observations of instances that I've noticed in the years driving it. I would like to know what exactly it senses. I've registered plenty of 1+ readings on the G meter without it engaging. The grade of the turn seems to have an effect, one uphill turn in particular seems to throw it off.

Whatever it does I would much prefer it just be consistent. I bought snow tires for it recently so I'll get to test in more controlled ways fairly soon.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Chances are you have a yaw sensor or steering position sensor going bad intermittently. If the system is operating properly you shouldn't have either of the issues you described.

Quick Reply: Stability Control on 05 V, inconsistent?