Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What the hell are all these connectors in the trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the hell are all these connectors in the trunk?

While putting in door speakers today, i noticed the ghetto rigged install job which was done by a previous owner. It was a disaster. Door was sliced up, random hot 12v connections that go to no-where in the trunk... and then i found this:

What are all these connectors for?
Old 12-17-2014, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaker wires are blue, power distribution blocks bolted to board, power wires clad in black flex loom, and a handful of proprietary din plugs that were likely for some type of aftermarket head unit source connection... Cd changer, sat, NAV, etc.

Consider yourself lucky, the hard part is done.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just spit some beer out laughing. What a hilarious find.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Yeah i know the blue wires are speakers. I just wasn't sure what the connectors were they looked stock. So those are aftermarket too?
Old 12-17-2014, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Becker
I just spit some beer out laughing. What a hilarious find.
Yeah, just wait till you see the other side of the trunk. The amp has all sorts of misc wires spliced in. Of course only 25% of these are labeled

Now i gotta figure out if i can even find a stock sub and plug it back in, or if it'd be easier to do an aftermarket one at this rate. It was so bad, literally only had one rear door speaker and the car has no sub!?! Not sure what's up with that.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That. Just. Sucks. Wiring diagrams exist and the shop manuals exist so it's definitely fixable
Run your own wires either way.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The stock looking connectors went to the on star module that appears to have been removed.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Those wires/connectors is where the factory Bose amp was. They actually took time with that board and distribution blocks. Always looks jacked up when stuff is removed and you are not the original installer.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by azn2dmax
Those wires/connectors is where the factory Bose amp was. They actually took time with that board and distribution blocks. Always looks jacked up when stuff is removed and you are not the original installer.
Bose is on the driver's side of the trunk. On-Star is on the passenger.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:07 AM
Launching!

Oh that makes alot of sense now. My onstar does not work. Not sure that i'll be going out of my way to buy a new module and purchasing their service. I thought those connectors look factory. Thnx guys!
Old 12-18-2014, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by itsdaveonline
Oh that makes alot of sense now. My onstar does not work. Not sure that i'll be going out of my way to buy a new module and purchasing their service. I thought those connectors look factory. Thnx guys!
I wouldn't worry about the onstar, I tried it, found it to be worthless. Sound quality on the phone calls isn't much better than putting your cell phone of speaker and setting it on the center console.... And that is from the perspective of the person calling you....
Old 12-18-2014, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

If I saw anybody do now the kinds of hack-jobs I was doing back in high-school, I would punch them in the face. You live and you learn!
Old 12-18-2014, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
If I saw anybody do now the kinds of hack-jobs I was doing back in high-school, I would punch them in the face. You live and you learn!
I was a self taught car audio installer back then as well. I had some interesting ideas in the speaker enclosure department and laugh now at some of my creations. At least I was smart enough to fuse the power wires right at the battery.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Launching!

Yeah speaking of hack job's i've literally seen someone put a subwoofer inside a home depot bucket. Thank god my audio system wasn't that bad.

But now that i have 4x matching door speakers - I do need to put in a nice sub, have any of you guys just popped in an aftermarket on in replace of the OEM sub? Trying to avoid boxes and extreme powered window rattling subs. Just need something similar to stock or slight improvement.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fweasel
At least I was smart enough to fuse the power wires right at the battery.
Oh man, I learned that one the hard way! I let the smoke out of the wires at a red light one night.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
Oh man, I learned that one the hard way! I let the smoke out of the wires at a red light one night.
The hard lesson is learning you can't put he smoke back in!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by itsdaveonline
But now that i have 4x matching door speakers - I do need to put in a nice sub, have any of you guys just popped in an aftermarket on in replace of the OEM sub? Trying to avoid boxes and extreme powered window rattling subs. Just need something similar to stock or slight improvement.
You'll need to use an infinite baffle style subwoofer if you're going to use the original Bose location. Personally, I ripped out the Bose sub and left it open as a port for the JL subs I installed in a sealed enclosure in a traditional trunk location.

Quick Reply: What the hell are all these connectors in the trunk?