Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Could I install a resistor (for an LED blinker bulb) at the fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could I install a resistor (for an LED blinker bulb) at the fuse?

I did a bunch of exterior LED conversions last year and installed my front LED signal bulbs with the necessary resistors in-line, around the bulb housing area (where I could get to a metal surface to mount to). With the LED tails I now have, I want to change the signal bulb to LED as well, but I find there's no room to securely mount the resistor because the signal bulb wiring is sandwiched between the tail light housing and the body. It's not just in the trunk area behind the molding, where it'd be easy to access. Well, it is, but I'd have to trace the correct 2 wires and unravel the nice, tidy job that GM did inside the trunk area.

So, my question is - Could I find the fuse for the rear signals and somehow install the resistor there, rather than splicing it into the wiring near the bulb? Wha'd'ya think?
Old 01-03-2015, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

In most applications, the fuse transfers the power to the flasher or module that controls the flash. With that being said, you can not put the resistor at the fuse. The resistor has to be after the flasher, as that's where the load needs to be.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just change your flasher module to an electronic one instead of a thermal one. Not sure what the V has, but that's what I did on my Trans Am when I added LED switch backs.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the replies, guys. Been away from the forum for a bit and didn't notice them until now. I have seen replacement flasher modules for some vehicles, but mostly imports, etc. I haven't seen anything made for domestics yet. I'll tell ya what, replacing the flasher modules is a hell of a lot more convenient than wiring these stupid resistors in and finding a safe place to mount them!
Old 01-08-2015, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the flasher module is a circuit board that's mated with the DRL circuits, too. it's not as simple as replacing a flasher module.

the simplest, and most correct for our vehicle, solution is to put a resister inline with the bulb close to the light you're replacing. you can also cut a trace on the DRL/flasher board that will disable the current draw reference (to tell you when a bulb is out). this slows down the blinker speed slightly, but it still will flash faster than normal incandescent bulbs.

Quick Reply: Could I install a resistor (for an LED blinker bulb) at the fuse?