Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Wheel hop...fucking wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Wheel hop...******* wheel hop

Anyone ever use the GForce axel kit does it really help? this combined with the bmr kit think it will work?
Old 12-30-2014, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a bunch of threads about it. I think the general consensus is that they do help considerably, and combined with new rear subframe mounts get rid of most of the hop. The diff is still somewhat weak.

Case in point, I believe that Car and Driver did a article of all the features of the new CTS-V and one of the big things was big and little axles. They have some good pictures of it also. Same basic premise behind the geforce axle kits.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

Some guys have just put a better tire on the rear. And have solved wheel hop that away to.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

My hop went away probably 80% with my 95a subframe bushings. I would say try that first. It's the cheapest route I only get hope when I really drop the hammer out of the hole. Not even normal racing or whatever, like smokey burnout stuff still gets me hop
Old 12-30-2014, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

where on earth do i get new rear subframe mounts dear friend
Old 12-30-2014, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

please tell me where you got them from
Old 12-30-2014, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They're called cradle bushings. I think bmr uses sandwich bushings around the stock ones. Revshift and creative steel make complete replacement ones. Creative steel ones are easier to install with their tool rental but either can be done in a day I would think.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by isis
They're called cradle bushings. I think bmr uses sandwich bushings around the stock ones. Revshift and creative steel make complete replacement ones. Creative steel ones are easier to install with their tool rental but either can be done in a day I would think.

i just seen the creative steel bushings you think they are really better than the bmr kit?
Old 12-30-2014, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put creative steel bushings in my car. They are great. They are a good price for benefit. And get the diff bushing as well.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
I put creative steel bushings in my car. They are great. They are a good price for benefit. And get the diff bushing as well.
help with the hop? better route then bmr
Old 12-30-2014, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

I first replaced my rear cradle bushings, diff bushing, and rear trailing arm bushings with poly units from Revshift. It improved the feel of the back end and handling, quieted down some of the diff noise, and very mildly improved wheel hop. I then replaced both axles with DSS axles and for regular street driving, my wheel hop is now gone. In the wet, wheel hop is gone until about 4K but that happens only in extreme cases. Very satisfied with the results and money spent.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fweasel
I first replaced my rear cradle bushings, diff bushing, and rear trailing arm bushings with poly units from Revshift. It improved the feel of the back end and handling, quieted down some of the diff noise, and very mildly improved wheel hop. I then replaced both axles with DSS axles and for regular street driving, my wheel hop is now gone. In the wet, wheel hop is gone until about 4K but that happens only in extreme cases. Very satisfied with the results and money spent.
thanks for the reply im getting a build list together to start on after this next deployment you hear any good or bad about the creative steel bushings for the V? im leaning towards them for everything right now as opposed to BMR and im going to check out DSS and see what they have to offer as well
Old 12-30-2014, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by J_Siafu
i just seen the creative steel bushings you think they are really better than the bmr kit?
I have them. Never used the bmr. I'm pretty sure they do the same things though. I like the creative steel cradle bushing design and install tool.

I have a revshift diff bushing. I like their design better for that one.

Only time I spin the tires is to slide the ***-end. I think wheelhop is more of a straight line issue so I don't usually feel any. I'd imagine cradle bushings and axles would be the proper path if you can swing both.

I think if you install the 8.8 rear swap from creative steel, wheel hop goes away or at least doesn't matter. So there's that $$ option too

Last edited by isis; 12-30-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

I have them. Never used the bmr. I'm pretty sure they do the same things though. I like the creative steel cradle bushing design and install tool.

I have a revshift diff bushing. I like their design better for that one.

Only time I spin the tires is to slide the ***-end. I think wheelhop is more of a straight line issue so I don't usually feel any. I'd imagine cradle bushings and axles would be the proper path if you can swing both.

I think if you install the 8.8 rear swap from creative steel, wheel hop goes away or at least doesn't matter. So there's that $$ option too

thanks for the input man i really appreciate it THANK GOD FOR BAH AND DEPLOYMENT PAY!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2014, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by J_Siafu

help with the hop? better route then bmr
Yea, for the hop and to help the rear end go where I want it to go. The whole cradle with stock bushings will flop around like a dying fish. They are a bit of a pain to remove the stock ones. You'll want an air hammer for sure. After I dropped the subframe it took like 10 minutes per bushing in and out.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Yea, for the hop and to help the rear end go where I want it to go. The whole cradle with stock bushings will flop around like a dying fish. They are a bit of a pain to remove the stock ones. You'll want an air hammer for sure. After I dropped the subframe it took like 10 minutes per bushing in and out.
With the creative steel install tool you don't even need the air hammer or to drop the cradle at all. You can press them out and finish all 4 in 3-4 hours. It's stupid simple if you're into that kind of thing.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

With the creative steel install tool you don't even need the air hammer or to drop the cradle at all. You can press them out and finish all 4 in 3-4 hours. It's stupid simple if you're into that kind of thing.
"Press them out?" I had to drop the cradle to install my Specter Werkes cradle bushings. Don't see how they could've been pressed out.

OP, do the bushings first and be prepared to do the axles as well. I did both and can drop the clutch at 3k RPM, jam my foot to the floor, hit the rev limiter while spinning the tires in first gear, and get zero wheelhop.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rand49er
"Press them out?" I had to drop the cradle to install my Specter Werkes cradle bushings. Don't see how they could've been pressed out.

OP, do the bushings first and be prepared to do the axles as well. I did both and can drop the clutch at 3k RPM, jam my foot to the floor, hit the rev limiter while spinning the tires in first gear, and get zero wheelhop.
Yes. Press them out. Creative Steel's tool is a cage, a bottle jack, and some spacers. You loosen the cradle enough to put the cage around each corner, insert the spacers and pump the bottle jack. It's really clever. Makes an awful noise as you get them to budge. And I cracked my elbow off the floor twice. But it still took under 4 hrs and I didn't remove anything from the car besides the exhaust and rear wheels. Compared to what I've seen as far as dropping the cradle and burning/sawing/hammering, it's night and day.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rand49er

thanks man im going to get the Gforce axles and bushings from Creative steel thanks for the help
Old 12-30-2014, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some guys have just put a better tire on the rear. And have solved wheel hop that away to
Never heard of this one. What makes one tire better than another in terms of wheel hop? The only thing I can think of is a tire that doesn't get any traction and I wouldn't say that is better.

Quick Reply: Wheel hop...fucking wheel hop