Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Cooking clutch fluid

Old 02-09-2015, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooking clutch fluid

I've been having issues with the clutch in my 04 sticking to the floor and not wanting to go into gear. Seems to be happening once a month or so and then i'll swap the fluid out and it wont happen for a while longer. Happened today on my way home, saw a hint of smoke coming out around the back of the motor. It was super hot under the hood so it was hard to tell. So I assume its the longtubes maybe cooking it but they have been on for a year or so and haven't given me any issues until recently. They are wrapped all the way up to the collector, I'm already using DOT 4 as well. I never really beat on the car either just commute it for the most part. I'm curious why now all of a sudden and should I just expect to swap the fluid out every month?
Old 02-09-2015, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A puff of smoke, if clutch fluid, would mean that it's getting out of the line. Which would explain why your pedal sticks to the floor, no pressure due to possible intermittent leak. Idk
Old 02-09-2015, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Aside from the first time I experienced this I don't seem to be losing any fluid. I honestly can't be sure that was from the clutch. I recently had to replace the radiator due to leaking and i'm still getting a hint of antifreeze but no noticeable leaks. I figured it was just all the residue burning off after it spewing everywhere but now I'm not so sure. Would insulating the clutch line and maybe a better fluid help any? The car has almost 170k on it but I was told the PO put an ls7 clutch in it around 140 so I would have a hard time believing the master/slave is going out already.

Last edited by Snatchymanx; 02-09-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the po put an ls7 in and the slave/tob is out to far amd riding on the fingers of the clutch all the time it could be the reason for the boiling. All speculation without actually seeing though. But that would be my thought on it.. Ive been there
Old 02-10-2015, 01:02 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

upgrade to dot 4 or 5.1 and check for leaks in your system
Old 02-10-2015, 03:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Naf
upgrade to dot 4 or 5.1 and check for leaks in your system
Upgrading fluid would be a bandaid if it even helps in the first place. It already says he is using dot4. You either have a leak, or a clutch engagement/disengagement issue.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:25 AM
Staging Lane

Cycled some new fluid through, didn't look very bad at all. I did notice there was some grease in the reservoir and i usually wipe it clean so that was weird. Clutch seemed to feel generally like **** afterwards but didn't have any issues, it had plenty of time to cool down. The car has always had issues going into specifically reverse and alot of the times I will have to give repeated attempts at lights to get it into first as well, I was told this was normal with these trans. I have heard about having to shim the slave, is that just with the ls7 setup? My bro has a monster and I really like it, so I am seriously considering switching over.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cycled some new fluid through, didn't look very bad at all. I did notice there was some grease in the reservoir and i usually wipe it clean so that was weird. Clutch seemed to feel generally like **** afterwards but didn't have any issues, it had plenty of time to cool down. The car has always had issues going into specifically reverse and alot of the times I will have to give repeated attempts at lights to get it into first as well, I was told this was normal with these trans. I have heard about having to shim the slave, is that just with the ls7 setup? My bro has a monster and I really like it, so I am seriously considering switching over
It is somewhat normal but it shouldn't be. IME it was the MC that caused the issues. Before tearing into the bellhousing (not much fun) I would swap the MC to a PMC. If that fixes your problems you just saved money on the eventual transmission repair you would have needed.

My reasoning is, if it is tough getting into gear for clutch related reasons it is because the clutch is dragging. A dragging clutch is MUCH tougher on the synchros (which aren't stellar in our cars to begin with). Compare the cost of a PMC with the cost of transmission repairs.

I would NOT go back with a stock replacement MC. I did that in an effort to fix a dragging clutch. It did NOT help (in fairness I was using an aftermarket clutch but as you mentioned many have experienced a dragging clutch with completely stock setup). Installed a Tick MC (PIA as it is not designed for our cars) and the problem went away completely. Because of the wanting the CPS to work I eventually settled on a PMC and I am glad I did.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies. When you say PMC are you referring to the Philistine MC? If so, I was looking at that yesterday and figured it would probably be a good idea I just wanted to get some opinions before i just start throwing money at it. Im still recovering from the alradco I just had to buy last month lol.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have another thought...

If you keep boiling fluid, you need to make sure it isn't getting contaminated. This issue can be something as easy and checking the reservoir cap to make sure it seals properly. Brake (and clutch) fluid absorbs moister very quickly. When it does, it drastically lowers the boiling point and therefore makes the fluid less than ideal to use in a pressurized system. When you boil water, you get air bubbles, so that would cause compressibility in the system.

Have you checked the cap? Make sure there aren't any rips in the rubber gasket inside the lid. Or are there any cracks in the reservoir? Look for stuff like that. Try and see if you can pressure test it. That would be my guess as to the culprit of the problem. For me its always something quite small and innocuous that trips me up.

It just makes a little more sense that, you keep replacing fluid and then you keep having an issue some time a few months later. It doesn't take long for DOT4 or DOT5 to absorb enough fluid that it becomes useless.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 02-10-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
I have another thought...

If you keep boiling fluid, you need to make sure it isn't getting contaminated. This issue can be something as easy and checking the reservoir cap to make sure it seals properly. Brake (and clutch) fluid absorbs moister very quickly. When it does, it drastically lowers the boiling point and therefore makes the fluid less than ideal to use in a pressurized system. When you boil water, you get air bubbles, so that would cause compressibility in the system.

Have you checked the cap? Make sure there aren't any rips in the rubber gasket inside the lid. Or are there any cracks in the reservoir? Look for stuff like that. Try and see if you can pressure test it. That would be my guess as to the culprit of the problem. For me its always something quite small and innocuous that trips me up.

It just makes a little more sense that, you keep replacing fluid and then you keep having an issue some time a few months later. It doesn't take long for DOT4 or DOT5 to absorb enough fluid that it becomes useless.
Practical, easy and cheap...sounds like a good place to start. If the dealer has a cap on the shelf and it cost less than $20 bucks, it might make sense to just buy it because you may not be able to actually see a problem with the cap.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Well whatever it is, its getting worse or fluid changes arent the issue obviously. Didn't even make it 24hrs before leaving me stranded. Pedal goes to the floor, lifting it up does nothing, pumping does nothing. I'm usually able to get it to go into a gear randomly to make it out of the road. I guess ill start with the MC along with a new cap and see what happens.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

I should clarify that i have been using the turkey baster method to change the fluid. I don't know if this is an adequate way of going about this or not once there is air in the system if that is indeed the case here.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

You don't have any leaks but you aren't able to get the clutch to actuate properly? May want to look into a new slave as well.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Ya I was already thinking about having to do the slave as well. I'd like to just go ahead and put a ctsv monster clutch in it while im in there. I haven't really looked into what all is involved in an ls7 swap. Is there anything special I need in order to ditch the ls7 stuff?
Old 02-10-2015, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Snatchymanx
Ya I was already thinking about having to do the slave as well. I'd like to just go ahead and put a ctsv monster clutch in it while im in there. I haven't really looked into what all is involved in an ls7 swap. Is there anything special I need in order to ditch the ls7 stuff?
Nope, just remove it and reinstall a monster clutch. Do you know what flywheel is in your car now? You might be able to save some money having it machined as opposed to getting a new one for the monster clutch.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

No idea. I went ahead and ordered the PMC along with a heat sleeve for the line just for piece of mind. I'm probably a few weeks away from being able to get the rest so I'm going to try the PMC first and see if that helps any.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Snatchymanx
I should clarify that i have been using the turkey baster method to change the fluid. I don't know if this is an adequate way of going about this or not once there is air in the system if that is indeed the case here.
That is not replacing the fluid that is in the slave.

Unfortunately you have to pull the trans to add a remote bleeder.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Ya, remote bleeder is on my priority list. I come from foxbodies so this hydraulic stuff is still new to me lol. Anyway I just went to pick the car up after letting it sit the rest of the day where it broke down. Drove home, no issues at all but it happened to be pretty chilly out unlike when the clutch went out in the middle of the day (this is Texas so the days have been warm lately).
Old 02-11-2015, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

why not try flushing the fluid normally, buy opening the bleeder on the slave and havign a freind help pump all the old fluid out.. I bet its nasty, possibly have trapped air in the slave, could be causing these issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cooking clutch fluid