Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Why NOT to Buy One of These Blowers

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Why NOT to Buy One of These Blowers

Like the title says, is there any reason not to buy one of these take off blowers and replace the isolator coupling?

LSA Blower
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-CTS...-/281600716505

Isolator Coupling
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSA-LS9-Solid-Supercharger-Isolator-Coupling-2009-14-ZR1-CTS-V-ZL1-CTSV-/161604833335?fits=Model%3ACTS%7CSubmodel%3AV
I think you will need one of these for most of the takeoffs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-...-/321607511785

But still they seem to be to good to be true. < $1000 bucks for a blower head unit. One of these with LS3 style heads on and LS2 pullout would be a cheap and stout combo.

I keep trying to figure out why I wouldn't want to put that combo in my boat
Old 02-18-2015, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple reason probably pulley offset issue.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

That would be nice. From what I gather people say the ls3 heads dont match up to the bore size that well for ls2/ls6 blocks, but is that really an issue if you throwing on a blower for around 2k$?

Is that roughly what you're thinking about doing SSsnake?
Old 02-18-2015, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

LS3 heads fit the LS2 just fine. The main issue I see is the belt spacing constraints. That said, I've seen some cool front mount turbo build on CTS-V vs te world and they had some custom radiators made for theirs. Just depends on the money you want to spend.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sssnake
I keep trying to figure out why I wouldn't want to put that combo in my boat
Because it would be more fun in a car....
Old 02-18-2015, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Simple reason probably pulley offset issue
I guess that is that part I am not seeing. LS3/LSA heads locate the attachment point of the blower in reference to the serpentine belt. So that spacing should be solid. I would need to source an LSA harmonic dampner and several tensioners and etc. Even If I needed all of the accessory drive stuff and had to buy it new it would be less than a grand.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet+Perf...FYrm7Aod6kgAuw

The main issue I see is the belt spacing constraints.
Yo hablo ingles? Seriously what do you mean by belt spacing constraints?

Because it would be more fun in a car....
Maybe but I'm not pulling the E-Force for this blower.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

You're stacking an 8 rib belt on the outside of a 6 rib belt because te LSA blower uses a dedicated blower drive. With just an 8 rib and Alradco radiator I'm out of room and there is no way I could fit another belt in there even if it was just 6 rib. Now if you moved the radiator or come up with some cleaver fan mounting you might be able to get away with that.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by raven154
You're stacking an 8 rib belt on the outside of a 6 rib belt because te LSA blower uses a dedicated blower drive. With just an 8 rib and Alradco radiator I'm out of room and there is no way I could fit another belt in there even if it was just 6 rib. Now if you moved the radiator or come up with some cleaver fan mounting you might be able to get away with that.
Simple you do what I did slim line push fans and thicker radiator core.
The main concern is getting the supercharger pulleys to line up with the drive pullies and actually being able to close the hood.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought an an LSA blower, coupler and V2 lid....for a total of $475. It probably will never make it onto my 07, as I have a few other ideas for it.

The slimline fans could free up some space on a stock radiator. I think the radiator could also be dropped slightly and pushed forward freeing up another inch or so with some custom brackets. The abs pump is sorta in the way too.

I can take some pics of the blower with the lid on it with some measurements.

Last edited by hefftone; 02-18-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

isn't lsa same offset as corvette, ls2...etc? then the blower belt out front of that? seems pretty easy.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

this is more of a direct swap for us L76 and LS3 guys. Us G8 owners are grabbing these up to install on the G8 with great results, and money left over in our wallets.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah the lsa has a dual belt setup which is what I referenced earlier but I'm not sure you HAVE to go with a two belt setup. The Maggie's and Eforces dont.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Even if you can run a single belt, the distance away from the motor will be the same because the blower will determine this. If the blower belt is the same as an Fbody or truck, then you might be able to run one belt but it would be better to run LSA accessories because then only the blower belt would be out front instead of everything.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:15 AM
On The Tree

I have looked into this. It will require the LSA accessory kit to do it cheapest, and it is just under $1k from some dealer or aftermarket store. Bottom line, blower, accessory kit, hx tank, pump and hx, this could be realistically done for about $3k with good stuff. Then add in about $1500 for a set of worked LS3 heads and under $5k on stock LS2 to get maybe 500 to the tires on a safe tune.
anymore and the LS@ will have to be redone with ARP hardware and I would do rods and pistons and pin the stock crank.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Sssnake

Yo hablo ingles?
I speak English?

Were you stating that? or asking if he speaks it? cause.....Habla usted Inglés?
Old 02-19-2015, 09:37 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish you people would speak American. Murica!!!!!
Old 02-19-2015, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought an an LSA blower, coupler and V2 lid....for a total of $475. It probably will never make it onto my 07, as I have a few other ideas for it.
Plans for the LS2 or the blower? If you don't have plans for the blower let me know.

Were you stating that? or asking if he speaks it? cause.....Habla usted Inglés?
It has been a long time since HS spanish.

Seriously I want a new engine in my boat. It needs a little more low end umph for the wake surfing. I am propped down as far as I want to go (top speed is only 38 mph). I don't want another boat motor because of the screwy ECUs (MEFI). This looks like a good option as at this point as I know what it takes to program the E67 ECU for the blower. The only issue I see other than the belt routing (which should be greatly streamlined on my boat - no ac or ps pump) is a conversion to drive by cable and adding a water to water heat exchanger (I have a few of these on the boat already). I also have a 5.3L in my tahoe that doesn't quite pull the boat as well as I would like so one of these blowers might be a solution for that as well (would require and adaptor to cathedral heads). Besides I have to have at least 3 or 4 projects going at once.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

I'm going to keep the blower in case I get a G8, 6.0 truck, or do a different LS swap. I might look into putting it on the V, if I get an 8.8, a built trans (magnum xl). Stock CR seems a little high though.

I found mine on Craigslist and haggled down just the blower for $325. I got the lid and couple from a V2 guy on another forum. At this point I need fuel rail, injectors, and belt arrangements.

Also, I'm not sure what boat you have, but there are quite a few boats out there with LY6 or L96 motors would be sweet!
Old 02-20-2015, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, I'm not sure what boat you have, but there are quite a few boats out there with LY6 or L96 motors would be sweet!
Mastercraft X45 with the nautical equivalent of an LT1 (in an 07 boat - wtf boats were waaay behind cars - not so much now )

I have an LS6 (LS1 w 243 heads) and controller that would likely work but if I go to all of the trouble of an engine swap I would prefer to step up the hp a good bit (it has a baby cam already). I was and still am considering a centri blower for that setup but using/tuning kind of sux with that ECU (veeery slow data bus) and these pull offs seem to be dirt cheap.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

I've considered buying one of these just because ... maybe make it work on my LQ4 Silverado, or get harebrained and adapt it to the LS6 somehow.

Shrug. The price is almost too good to avoid, and the supply is finite.

Quick Reply: Why NOT to Buy One of These Blowers