Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Replacement Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 03:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacement Brake Rotors

What is everyone running for replacement rotors on their Gen 1 V's - StopTech, Power Stop, etc.?

Has anyone had any experience with the GM Performance Parts Cross Drilled Rotors Part Numbers 88964607 front and 88964608 rear?

Thanks in advance,
George
07 V
TX
Old 02-26-2015, 04:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran stoptech slotted rotors on mine with the powdercoated hats. Zero complaints with them but thoroughly hated the Hawk HPS and Ceramics. Stock pads were way better and worth the dust IMO.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have centric (stoptech) slotted rotors and pads. Got em from rock auto. Really good pricing. Love em.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

About to get rotors soon also had the same question.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Centric Premiums, plain (not slotted or drilled). Once you find the part number on rockauto.com be sure to check Amazon, too, a their pricing is often better than Rock Auto.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Part of it depends on how you're driving.

I've got Autozone crappers on mine (daily driver, mostly highway) and they work find for what I'm doing.

They are warrantied for a year (which is almost up) so I may get a fresh set so I can have them balanced because my V has never been as smooth as the 20 year old MR2 it replaced. These things are heavy so I don't see why it wouldn't make sense to have them at least checked. Some of the older cars on the road don't have wheel/tire combos much heavier than our brake rotors.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Girodisc 2pc in the front, FTW! I think Lindsey's has stopped stocking them, so you'll have to call Girodisc directly.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gedupont
What is everyone running for replacement rotors on their Gen 1 V's - StopTech, Power Stop, etc.?

Has anyone had any experience with the GM Performance Parts Cross Drilled Rotors Part Numbers 88964607 front and 88964608 rear?

Thanks in advance,
George
07 V
TX
I had the drilled GM Rotors which were nice but expensive. If I were tracking I would stick with the stock rotors with upgraded pads. But for a daily driver the GM drilled Rotors are not worth it IMO. I went with a cheaper pair from Brakemotive (vendor) and have been very happy for the money, again daily driver use.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...ices-ever.html
Old 02-27-2015, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JD03Cobra
I had the drilled GM Rotors which were nice but expensive. If I were tracking I would stick with the stock rotors with upgraded pads. But for a daily driver the GM drilled Rotors are not worth it IMO. I went with a cheaper pair from Brakemotive (vendor) and have been very happy for the money, again daily driver use.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...ices-ever.html
Just wait for them to warp.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I absolutely hate drilled and/or slotted rotors on a daily. The pad dust builds up in the chamfers and then sticks to your pads. They eventually cut grooves and squeal and all kinds of nonsense (which causes a lot of the symptoms usually attributed to 'warping')

Add that to the crazy rate these huge rotors rust any time it rains or gets washed and the rust embeds in the dust and makes the squeal like nails on a chalkboard. Yeesh.

Like I said, no thanks. Maybe I'm too easy on my brakes, but cheap solid rotors and decent ceramic pads is all I use. I used to like EBC redstuff if they still make them.

Hawk HPS have amazing bite for the first 1/4 of life and then totally suck after that, especially for the amount of dust. Not that the stock pads are clean at all. Plus the hawk pads crumble around the edges during the second half of life too and some pa inspection places won't pass them no matter how thick they are.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:01 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Funny. I've ran 5 sets of BrakeMotives on 5 different vehicles, 2 being SUV's, 2 FBodys and now my Vette - never had an issue.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Funny. I've ran 5 sets of BrakeMotives on 5 different vehicles, 2 being SUV's, 2 FBodys and now my Vette - never had an issue.

Maybe you just don't do much high speed braking 145 down to 60 a few times will do it. mine arnt warped they have stress cracks where they are drilled.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:44 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by serik21
Maybe you just don't do much high speed braking 145 down to 60 a few times will do it. mine arnt warped they have stress cracks where they are drilled.
Hell no I don't, and I never would. These aren't MADE for that to begin with. They're replacement OE rotors, intended for daily drivers. Not all out track racing.

Either way, they do offer a warranty...
Old 02-27-2015, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Hell no I don't, and I never would. These aren't MADE for that to begin with. They're replacement OE rotors, intended for daily drivers. Not all out track racing.

Either way, they do offer a warranty...
My oe rotors held up to that no problem shouldn't aftermarket be as good or better?
Old 02-27-2015, 11:01 PM
The Scammer Hammer

My oe rotors held up to that no problem shouldn't aftermarket be as good or better?
I've never braked from 140+ but I know I've given these brakes hell on all the vehicles I've owned and they've never given me so much as the slightest issue.

I'm simply stating MY experiences with them. I'm not going to apologize if they were found to be subpar to you.

Do OE rotors come with a warranty?
Old 02-28-2015, 02:49 AM
TECH Resident

I've never braked from 140+ but I know I've given these brakes hell on all the vehicles I've owned and they've never given me so much as the slightest issue.

I'm simply stating MY experiences with them. I'm not going to apologize if they were found to be subpar to you.

Do OE rotors come with a warranty?

My oe rotors lasted me 40k miles. My replacement 10k before they started cracking. Great that they have a warranty don't get me wrong I think they are a great company. And great rotors to use on a daily driver or a lighter car. Our cars are heavy and if you go fast and do heavy braking once in a while those even with their warranty I wouldnt recommend drilled Rotors from them for the v.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Just wait for them to warp.
35k on mine and they have been great. If I can still get them I'm buying another set. Again, just daily driving duty.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:25 AM
The Scammer Hammer

My oe rotors lasted me 40k miles. My replacement 10k before they started cracking. Great that they have a warranty don't get me wrong I think they are a great company. And great rotors to use on a daily driver or a lighter car. Our cars are heavy and if you go fast and do heavy braking once in a while those even with their warranty I wouldnt recommend drilled Rotors from them for the v.
Absolutely, I agree. Y'all's cars are a bit heavier. I wouldn't "recommend" them for the track, but I'd probably still use them

Great for DD use though.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can our V's even go 140 without the under panel flying off? I would not put a budget minded rotor or pad on a car that would see track time.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jmargo
Can our V's even go 140 without the under panel flying off? I would not put a budget minded rotor or pad on a car that would see track time.
My car has not seen track time. Just a few friendly pulls on a road in mexico

Quick Reply: Replacement Brake Rotors