Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New project. Comments and advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New project. Comments and advice please.

Here is new project. Fans work great so I'm happy with what little I spent. My question is this is a balsa core that will be covered with cf. How many layers and what type of cf cloth would be advisable? I'm going to wet lay at off angles I think. Fire away. I could make a mold and am leaving that open. This is just about done. I got WAY too carried away with front splitter last year and went too far to execute as it was way to big and thick. I'll tackle that next with resin infusion this spring.

I have a bit more shaping, then it's wrap time. I wanted something more subtle and more drag strip looking.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Subscribed In for the finish product.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got nothing for you on advice, I have done pre preg layup training and that was like a decade ago.. haha.. I totally agree on the shape, I can send you my trunk if you want to make two just to double check your measurements
Old 03-01-2015, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sub'd to see what you can make of that!
Old 03-01-2015, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think with surfboards we laid like 6-8 layers depending on the length of the board, its been about 15 years since I threw a carbon board together though, so don't quote me on that. More important in this scenario is the fact that it will be seeing aerodynamic force. And probably a lot of it. What weight of fabric are you using?

Honestly, I might consider doing a few base wraps of a heavy duty fiberglass, then laying a layer of carbon. The fiberglass is a little heavier but its a little more robust in my experience. Just a thought.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 03-01-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks badass man looking forward to seeing your results.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the comments. I am a complete novice when it comes to cf but have been scouring internet and can only find one video of a guy wet laying over a kayak (which he seems to do a very good job). I like taking chances and learning. I have couple emails out to companies so I'm expecting some direction via email this week. The bad part is I travel in 2 days for some time but want to have product waiting for me on my return. If it comes out good and the clearcoat (at least I think it gets cc) shoots well, I might make a mold but 1st things 1st. I kept angle down from original plan because of less force. It needs to be about as good and as strong as possible though because I'm fresh out of wind tunnel time and it's better to be safe than sorry lol.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Carbon is laid the same as fiberglass generally, unless you vacuum mold it or do some other crazy stuff. You'll want to get proper resin and fiber. The fiber has different weights and generally the thicker the material, the stronger it is. It's not really clear coat, although it looks like it, it's actually the resin that is mixed and laid down, it will harden clear, just like glass. You'll have to wait til it's warm where you are. It will take a larger amount of hardener to get it to cure below 70°. Get yourself a very good respirator before you start. The chemicals give people headaches, and when you sand, that's little particles of death in the air, protect yourself. This ain't woodshop, don't want to see a forum member get medothelioma n ****
Old 03-02-2015, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like that fourth photo. Shows the good tie-in with the bumper's shape.

Nice.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Thanks rides, I'll be sure to wear PPE. Thanks too Rand, I'd like to have both done and more for the dream cruise this year. You planning on attending right? I met you in 2012 in the caddy lot. It would be awesome to have a V day on the proving grounds in conjunction with cruise. They should do one for all V's.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ry is correct, resin hardens to a clear, watch out on PPE.. There are also vacuum mold styles with blotter but I would assume to do a wet layup similar to fiber glass?
Old 03-02-2015, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, I think you should continue that 2nd lip (that is only in the middle) all the way across to the edges.

Also, if you can smooth that 2nd lip out so a tad there's not so much of a steep edge?

Just spitballing here.

Great work though!
Old 03-02-2015, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You've got talent. Nice work. Sell them to us.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motown Cad
... the dream cruise this year. You planning on attending right? I met you in 2012 in the caddy lot. It would be awesome to have a V day on the proving grounds in conjunction with cruise. They should do one for all V's.
Remember? Yeah, but right after I had a major health issue occur, so the next four or five months wiped out me out and memory needs all the help it can get these days. DEFINITELY will be going to the 2015 Dream Cruise in August, so will be looking forward to reacquainting with you and seeing your V.

Originally Posted by ls1247
... Sell them to us.
That's one heck of an idea. Same basic design could be adapted to other, non-Gen 1 Vs and cars beyond Vs, too.

Chi-ching!
Old 03-02-2015, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rand49er
Remember? Yeah, but right after I had a major health issue occur, so the next four or five months wiped out me out and memory needs all the help it can get these days. DEFINITELY will be going to the 2015 Dream Cruise in August, so will be looking forward to reacquainting with you and seeing your V.

That's one heck of an idea. Same basic design could be adapted to other, non-Gen 1 Vs and cars beyond Vs, too.
Chi-ching!
Sorry to hear that. I hope all is well now. It'll be fun but I want to take a couple weeks off so I'm not rushed for cruise.

I could definitely go mold and resin infusion after complete, IF....it turns out good seeing as how I'm looking for a reason and excuse to dabble in it.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motown Cad
Sorry to hear that. I hope all is well now. It'll be fun but I want to take a couple weeks off so I'm not rushed for cruise.

I could definitely go mold and resin infusion after complete, IF....it turns out good seeing as how I'm looking for a reason and excuse to dabble in it.
Thanks. All's good now.

"Mold." That's the ticket.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rand49er
Thanks. All's good now.

"Mold." That's the ticket.
Thatta boy....can't keep a good man down!
Old 03-10-2015, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Any more progress?

Quick Reply: New project. Comments and advice please.