Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Battery in Trunk, Disconnect Switch & Fuel Swirl Pot

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery in Trunk, Disconnect Switch & Fuel Swirl Pot

I'm 90% of the way finished with my fuel swirl pot install. Here's the progress:

I got tired of sucking air on big corners at the track, so I decided to integrate a fuel swirl pot. There was nowhere to put it in the back of the car, particularly without re-running AN lines and building a firewall between the passenger cabin and the trunk. So... I moved the battery to the trunk and put the swirl pot in place of it under the hood. I also figured that, while I'm doing the battery, I might as well install a disconnect switch.

The battery "box" I have may be replaced with a true NHRA one just because. It is bolted to the frame using two 110mm 3/8" bolts (there were some existing holes in the frame that I passed the bolts through). There was also a threaded hole in the frame just above the exhaust that I cleaned of paint and bolted the main ground from the battery to.

Battery in Trunk, Disconnect Switch & Fuel Swirl Pot-hrvk2ls.jpg
Battery in Trunk, Disconnect Switch & Fuel Swirl Pot-dxszecj.jpg
Battery in Trunk, Disconnect Switch & Fuel Swirl Pot-fc7bvw4.jpg
Battery in Trunk, Disconnect Switch & Fuel Swirl Pot-fvi00xx.jpg

Here's the swirl pot in place of the battery, mounted to a piece of 7075-T6 aluminum sheet with a bit of rubber between the fuel pot and the sheet. The sheet is, in turn, bolted to the body using existing battery hold down bolt holes. The swirl pot is this one from Radium with a Walboro 255 inside. Yes, I still have some work to do to secure/separate the -6AN lines a bit better.

Battery in Trunk, Disconnect Switch & Fuel Swirl Pot-kboxa8u.jpg
Battery in Trunk, Disconnect Switch & Fuel Swirl Pot-3giuzde.jpg

Finally, here's the wiring diagram. I'm still testing but this allows me to kill the battery, still gives me strong starts and (I think) the alt is charging the battery as it should. I used welding cable for all wiring.

It's tight under the car with the main hot, the ground to the battery and the -6AN return line running under there. I've still got some cleaning up to do. The ground from the battery is somewhat redundant but I figured why not.

Battery in Trunk, Disconnect Switch & Fuel Swirl Pot-bztfzef.png

Oh, and I used this as an opportunity to go ahead and remove my AC compressor, bracket and condensor. I hadn't charged it since I (accidentally) discharged it last winter so I figured why not.

Last edited by jclayc; 03-15-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice engineering, im just wondering why you didnt choose a more discreet place to put the kill switch like back by the license plate. I have never seen one in a quarter panel before.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I really didn't care about discreet - just wanted a location close to the battery and that only had one layer of sheet metal to deal with.

Maybe I'd see it if I were looking at the car but seems like the switch by the license plate would require a few feet more of wire. I do think it would be a good idea to have a 2nd kill switch wired in serial up in the driver's compartment within reach.

Last edited by jclayc; 03-12-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:52 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You have a track car and still run those heavy batts...why?

Braille ml30c will start the car everytime and it only weighs 9lb...thats 35lb lighter than stock...

I agree the locations are all odd . I houkd have mounted the battery where you have the kill switch and have the kill switch mounted else where
Old 03-13-2015, 05:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. I too would think the license plate area would be a better placement for the cutoff. It would be more obvious to any track workers coming up behind the car and generally more accessible.

Thanks for posting up though. I'd like to move mine back there as well to free up the space up front and change weight distribution.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wowza, the Braille ml30c is $2,000 What's the saying, that 10lbs lost = 1 hp gained. So $2k for 3.5hp? Nah.

I'll look at moving the switch to the license plate area - could either do it while/when I'm looking at putting a 2nd switch in reach of the driver's seat or just go with 1 switch near the driver's seat *L* I needed a dent out of that quarter panel anyway.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

HOLY chit mang! 2g's for a battery!!!???
Old 03-13-2015, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jclayc
I'm 90% of the way finished with my fuel swirl pot install. Here's the progress:

I got tired of sucking air on big corners at the track, so I decided to integrate a fuel swirl pot.
At what point have you found you get fuel starvation issues (prior to the swirl pot install)? I've had the car die on track twice after long right-handers, and each time stepped back my "Fuel Used" limit so I know when I need to call it quits to avoid the fuel starvation. About 9.5 - 10 gal on the "Fuel Used" display is my limit now.

Have you upgraded the stock fuel pump in the tank? Does one need to do so to use a swirl pot like this?

As for the kill switch, I've never installed one, and haven't paid much attention to where folks typically put them on various vehicles. I know in Fox Mustang-land it's common to put them by the license plate (or space the plate out and hide it behind the plate). But on those cars the license plate is on the body (not on the trunk lid or hatch); it would seem to me that having the switch on the V's trunk lid would add quite a bit of undesirable wiring since it would all have to be routed to allow for the trunk to open and close.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

If I start a 20-30 minute session with a full tank, I'm sucking air by the end of the session on long right handers - I'd say I'm 4 gal down. I haven't done the fuel used thing.

Yes, I've got a walboro 255 in the tank already. I don't think you need to upgrade the stock pump to use a swirl pot but having a swirl pot (aka fuel surge tank) does mean adding a 2nd pump inside or after the surge tank. That's why I liked the Radium design - it (optionally) comes w/ the 2nd pump inside it. Radium also makes a swirl pot with integrated, returnless FPR that's pretty cool but I already have a return-based system set up which I think is better than a dead end system.

There are other manufacturers that looked like good stuff too - spotted a square one for Subarus that looked easier to mount for a bit more money...
Old 03-13-2015, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I dig your wiring diagram. Unconventional but really easy on the eyes and easy to understand.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Just curious, why not run the racetronix hotwire leads after the relay directly to the switch in the trunk, rather than up to the alternator?
Old 03-13-2015, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by isis
I dig your wiring diagram. Unconventional but really easy on the eyes and easy to understand.
Thanks - I noticed that there have been a lot of people in the past asking for recommendations on how to wire a battery to the trunk. I'm no wiring expert, for sure, so this is more "how I did it" rather than "best way to do it".

Originally Posted by isis
Just curious, why not run the racetronix hotwire leads after the relay directly to the switch in the trunk, rather than up to the alternator?
Yeah, I'm thinking about that. If all else, just to reduce the wires under the car. What made me keep it to the alternator initially is just the fact that the hotwire installation instructions say to connect it to the alternator.

(BTW, I've got the swirl pot switched hot running to the same switched hot wire on the main fuel pump's relay so they're activated on the same circuit.)
Old 03-13-2015, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice looking setup, I know I dont know half of what most of the members do here, but what does a swirl pot accomplish?
Old 03-13-2015, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jcollege
Nice looking setup, I know I dont know half of what most of the members do here, but what does a swirl pot accomplish?
when you're taking sweeping corners at high speeds, gas pulls away from the fuel pickup inside the fuel tank, you suck air & the engine dies. Some people run fuel cells with little "gates" around the pickup to keep gas from moving away from the pickup but, if you don't want to run a cell, you can put one of these swirl pots between the main tank and the fuel rails. The main tank feeds the swirl pot and the swirl pot pumps gas to the fuel rails. The swirl pot is like a very small fuel tank with its own pump - the chances of fuel moving away from the pickup inside the swirl pot and the engine sucking air is much reduced.

Additionally, I believe this will allow me to run much less gas in the main tank, reducing weight.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool, learned something new today!
Old 03-14-2015, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Very nice. Let me know how it works out. Btw, got an email recently that Holley's Hydra Mat is set to come out with a few different shapes and sizes.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I updated the original post above to show:
The 8ga wire from the alternator back to the switch/battery just wasn't enough; I was only getting like 12.6V back to the battery. I upgraded it to 2ga and now I'm getting 14.0V.

I replaced the picture of the switch to show the new way I wired the alternator in.

I added a picture looking up under the battery, above the muffler to show the main ground attachment plus where the two 3/8" bolts go through the frame.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Junior-1
Very nice. Let me know how it works out. Btw, got an email recently that Holley's Hydra Mat is set to come out with a few different shapes and sizes.
Yeah, I see you can order for May delivery! https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/

Quick Reply: Battery in Trunk, Disconnect Switch & Fuel Swirl Pot