Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Need advice before Purchasing a Cts-V Ls6 thats Maggied

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice before Purchasing a Cts-V Ls6 thats Maggied

Im going to be on my way tomorrow to see a V ive scoped out. Im not experienced at all with supercharged cars but Ive heard this set up is reliable if done correctly, the car is in almost perfect condition and has an 8.8. Im just worried about anything major as a noob I will overlook with the s/c and engine, boost etc.

Any and All advice will be greatly appreciated as I dont have any experience and this is my first purchase this large.

- Thank You in Advance.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:25 PM
Teching In

There are many experienced and knowledgable CTSV enthusiasts in this site.

I would first search this and other sites for what to look for in used CTV's. There is plenty out there and easy to access.

Also, what year is the car? This will others narrow down suggestions for you and will narrow your search results. CTSV's have been around for many years.

Good luck with the purchase.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

He says ls6 so it is a 04 or 05.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by austinls
There are many experienced and knowledgable CTSV enthusiasts in this site.

I would first search this and other sites for what to look for in used CTV's. There is plenty out there and easy to access.

Also, what year is the car? This will others narrow down suggestions for you and will narrow your search results. CTSV's have been around for many years.

Good luck with the purchase.

Hi , im very familiar with ctsv's its not the car im worried about its as an unexperienced person what should i lookout for when buyin a supercharged car? Just dont know how to spot something bad or overlook
Old 04-19-2015, 08:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bvbls6
Hi , im very familiar with ctsv's its not the car im worried about its as an unexperienced person what should i lookout for when buyin a supercharged car? Just dont know how to spot something bad or overlook
It's basically the normal stuff you would look at a normal car. Maggie's though can be bad, mine was straight out of the box. Sounds like a bunch of quarters in a coffee can.

Did they pin the crank, I have seen a few without it. Is the tensioner still strong, and what size pulley is it running. Quick change jackshaft vs. Old keyed one.

I have even seen some belts run wrong so it cuts into the intake
Old 04-19-2015, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes with the above comments. A 2.8 pulley is standard on later maggies. A 2.7 or 2.6 would mean he's pushing it a little.

Yes, ask about pinning the crank pulley to the crankshaft.

Look for belt dust on the unit. A lot might indicate he's into boost a lot and driven hard.

How many miles are on the maggie? I've got 35k miles on mine with nothing wrong except changing a couple of belts.

Carbon fiber jackshaft is the later design; a steel one is an early maggie.

Ask about a tune. The Magnuson tune is mediocre at best. Should be dyno tuned. Ask for dyno sheet if he has one.

Who did the maggie install? I did mine, but it's still a good question.

Probably more things, but that's off the top of my head.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot. Have you driven one before? You're going to love it!
Old 04-19-2015, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically if your buying a 04-07 car and its supercharged then you should know the car has been modded and you are buying a modded car. Its that simple. If its got all the major concerns that the v1's have then you have an idea of who and how the car was driven.

Quick Reply: Need advice before Purchasing a Cts-V Ls6 thats Maggied