Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LS9 Cam with Maggie...opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS9 Cam with Maggie...opinions?

I just bought an 04 V that has a Maggie with the stock 6psi and a pretty big cam in it. The specs are unknown but my tuner thought it was probably around 230/240 or thereabouts. It took him a while to get the tune dialed in and it is running good but still puts out quite a bit of the fuel smell from the exhaust. My wife has determined this is unacceptable for our 2 month old to ride around in so I am looking for a cam that will drive, idle, and run like stock but work well with the maggie. I was considering putting a stock LS6 cam back in it but I read about the LS9 from the ZR1 and was wondering if anyone with a similar set up has that cam and what you think about it. Does it start and idle like stock? Other thoughts?

The car also has Kooks longtubes with some (unknown brand) hi-flow cats and Dynomax VT mufflers. As far as I know, the bottom end and heads are stock. It is running a speed-density tune and the final numbers were 502 rwhp and 456 rwtq.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:04 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The LS9 cam is a great cheap FI cam. Very similar to the LS7 but a fraction of the cost. Another cam to think about is the LPE GT9 cam.

If you were to go with the LS9 cam i would also get 1.8 rockers to get a little more lift out of it.

It idles quiet as can be, and gives good power output. You want great power and a good idle got with the GT9 cam. You want great idle with good power get the LS9 cam...

Smellin fuel means you are just too rich or your plugs are too cold. You should have NGK 6. Check your ignition system before you proceed with a Cam swap...

Depending on where you want the power i would also get a cam adjustment gears. This way you may retard the cam and get more control down low with MEGA power up top.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone is selling a ls9 cam in the classified... Punishment was using that cam with his old set up, not sure if he still has it in. He would be the perfect person to ask...good luck
Old 05-03-2015, 07:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Naf
The LS9 cam is a great cheap FI cam. Very similar to the LS7 but a fraction of the cost. Another cam to think about is the LPE GT9 cam.

If you were to go with the LS9 cam i would also get 1.8 rockers to get a little more lift out of it.

It idles quiet as can be, and gives good power output. You want great power and a good idle got with the GT9 cam. You want great idle with good power get the LS9 cam...

Smellin fuel means you are just too rich or your plugs are too cold. You should have NGK 6. Check your ignition system before you proceed with a Cam swap...

Depending on where you want the power i would also get a cam adjustment gears. This way you may retard the cam and get more control down low with MEGA power up top.

Thanks for the input. My tuner was able to get it running about right so it shouldn't be way too rich. I do need to check the plugs because I'm not sure what they are now. He also recommended the TR6 plugs.

Originally Posted by GFallen
Someone is selling a ls9 cam in the classified... Punishment was using that cam with his old set up, not sure if he still has it in. He would be the perfect person to ask...good luck

Ok thanks. I will check with him.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:33 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You may also wanna check out the other NGK

NGK (3452) BKR6EKPB-11

These are double prong so they dont get dirty as quick as the singles...

I use them in all my vehicles with full success. They are like the bosch but much sturdier ground prongs...
Old 05-03-2015, 07:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Naf
You may also wanna check out the other NGK

NGK (3452) BKR6EKPB-11

These are double prong so they dont get dirty as quick as the singles...

I use them in all my vehicles with full success. They are like the bosch but much sturdier ground prongs...

Cool, I will check those out. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tuner was able to get it running about right so it shouldn't be way too rich. I do need to check the plugs because I'm not sure what they are now. He also recommended the TR6 plugs.

Whats your plug gap? which plugs are you running currently?

Magnacharger still recommends stock heat range fwiw on the plugs, ive checked But you may need to adjust your gap from stock..

I have been recommended stock range and one step colder from a few different tuners, but during the tune the stock plugs were adequate enough.

(8.5psi mp122 - 530rwp ish..)
Old 05-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Becker
My tuner was able to get it running about right so it shouldn't be way too rich. I do need to check the plugs because I'm not sure what they are now. He also recommended the TR6 plugs.

Whats your plug gap? which plugs are you running currently?

Magnacharger still recommends stock heat range fwiw on the plugs, ive checked But you may need to adjust your gap from stock..

I have been recommended stock range and one step colder from a few different tuners, but during the tune the stock plugs were adequate enough.

(8.5psi mp122 - 530rwp ish..)

I finally got a chance to pull a plug and check. They are NGK TR6 gapped just under .040 (probably .038 or .039). They look in good shape.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:01 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The LS9 cam is $125 brand new...why in the hell would you buy a used one?
Old 05-04-2015, 06:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DMM
I agree but the one in the classifieds is brand new. He purchased it last year and never took it out of the plastic. I am still unsure of which cam I am gonna use although I am leaning towards the LS9.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DMM

Because I'd save him $25 off the sticker and cover shipping in the purchase price.

Quick Reply: LS9 Cam with Maggie...opinions?