Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

My shaft needed lubed

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default My shaft needed lubed

Car ran perfect last week, today we head for my nephews graduation party and right out of the gate the right front wheel area starts making some weird creaking and popping noise. My wife says she feels it if she sticks her foot way up. After about ten miles we turn around and head back to grab the SAAB and take that instead. After we get back I'm curious so I start digging in and rule some things out. So, I find it's not the sway bar links, the upper or lower ball joints or any of the rubber bushings. What's left I wonder, is it the brand new OEM struts? So I drill a hole in the plastic dust cover and spray some WD-40 in at the strut shaft, button her up and bingo noise gone. Anyone else ever run into needing their shaft lubed before, maybe the seal dried up.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine started creaking 10k ago and I've noticed it really doesn't do it in the rain. Ill be trying this.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be interested to see if it was the lube that cured the noise or the temporary un-weighting of the suspension. I had a lower ball joint noise on another car haunt me for nearly 6 months before it was tracked down. Problem was, the noise was never reproduceable while the control arm was under load, and often disappeared for a day or two after the front end was lifted off the ground.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the front end up in the air numerous times. Actually as I was jacking it up, each pump it would creak and as I was letting it down it would creak. Finally it stopped when I shot the shaft with the WD.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting. I'll have to try this as I often have pops and squeaks myself.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking silicone spray would probably be better.

Quick Reply: My shaft needed lubed