Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Low Coolant message

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low Coolant message

So I have been enjoying this car for a while now and it had the radiator replaced already once under CPO warranty but that was a while ago, now she is seeing 140k on the clock.

I poked my head under there and could not see anything from the top that was leaking. I topped the overflow off and went for a drive staying close to home and with a gallon of dex and water in the trunk.

the temp stayed in check but i did lose some coolant. Are there specific spots where the stock radiator/cooling system fails? i am going to put the car up and drop the underbelly cover and get to looking around.

is alradco the only option worth spending money on if it does in fact need a radiator? also will the aftermarket radiators use the stock fan setup?

thanks, Ken
Old 07-06-2015, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The ends are plastic if I recall which is the common failure point. How long did the current one last?
Old 07-06-2015, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would have to check the service records but likely 50 to 60k. The tanks are plastic but I could not see anything seeping down the sides from the top. I was kinda hoping that the poly mounts would have kept the motor in check to maybe not bust up the radiator lol. Wishful thinking.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

121k on my stock radiator. Based on how well this one has done if it were to fail I would just do another OEM. I don't like the big size of the alradco and I believe it weighs a lot more. Not to mention $600. A lot of people like them and I'm sure they're the last radiator the car would ever need.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by bigti99a
is alradco the only option worth spending money on if it does in fact need a radiator? also will the aftermarket radiators use the stock fan setup?
The OEM style aluminum/plastic radiators seem to be a love 'em or hate 'em thing. I have 2 cars with that style and have never had a radiator fail in ~300,000 miles of use - dozens of auto-x events, dozens of days on track, drag strip passes, you name it. Obviously MN V has had good fortune with his stock radiator, too. But then there are folks on the forums who have been through 3 or 4 stock radiators under warranty. I can't explain it.

I have an Alradco in my V because I figured I would upgrade when I was installing a new engine. The fatter radiator definitely makes things more complicated at the front of the engine bay. Yes, the stock fans are used with the Alradco, but it's a very tight fit. The thermostat housing / water neck coming off the water pump actually protrudes into the fan shroud, so the only way to pull the fans is to drain the cooling system and unbolt the thermostat housing. I don't know if there's any way to upgrade the intake tract, because even the stock intake barely fits. I was actually pricing out stock-style radiators just last week because I've been considering ditching the Alradco.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i really need to make good on trying to find a local that'll pop metal end tanks on a stock radiator. that'd make a lifetime product that fits appropriately.

the alradco might be nice, but it's probably overkill for literally everyone that has it. the stock radiator does just fine keeping the car cool.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, of all i have been reading i think that if i find the issues is with the radiator and not a line or water pump or some other BS then another stocker is going in. It will give me time to put my new balancer on and get rid of the wobbly one.

i am not looking to make life harder with an alradco taking up room that is not really there to begin with.

still open to others opinions. is rock auto the place to be for a replacement these days?
Old 07-07-2015, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks like it may be the water pump. i am getting a drip drip drip on top of the balancer. i dont know if this is a better situation or not. seems easier to replace a water pump then the radiator.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds like it could be the gaskets
Old 07-08-2015, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine started leaking recently. I'm at 141k and I believe it's the original rad. Its life may have been prolonged by the 160* t-stat. I'll probably be going with a stock replacement. For now it's a slow leak and I add a quart of water about once a week. When checking to see if it was the water pump I noticed I have a dead mouse curled up under the balancer, haha.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Mine started leaking recently. I'm at 141k and I believe it's the original rad. Its life may have been prolonged by the 160* t-stat. I'll probably be going with a stock replacement. For now it's a slow leak and I add a quart of water about once a week. When checking to see if it was the water pump I noticed I have a dead mouse curled up under the balancer, haha.
Mouse died and car no longer runs coincidence, i think not.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol. Yeah, I have to pull the belly cover and make sure the only place leaking is the pump. And try to see if it is the gasket area or the pump itself maybe a weep o.hole or something .
Old 07-11-2015, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

back up to the top with this for any insight. i pulled the under cover and there is coolant coming in steady steady drips forming off the oil pan, the k member under the steering rack. looks like the underside of the hoses on the passenger side of the water pump are wet and also the AC compressor is covered. its just a F*ing mess. i really cant pinpoint anything. At this point i am ruling out the radiator and it looks nice and dry up by the water pump from what i can see. everything is so crammed in there and i cant get a good look at a damn thing.

anyone have anything to contribute before i do what i dont want to and just pay somebody to fix the issue. i am thinking my next step is to rent one of those pumps that go on the radiator and pressurize the system and see whats up. would this pressurize the whole system? or just the radiator? is it me or is the cooling system in these cars complicated?
Old 07-12-2015, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Loose/bad clamp on one of the hoses coming off the water pump to the heater core? Leak from the thermostat housing?

The cooling system isn't any more complicated than that on my 26-year-old Mustang.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just cant seem to get eyes on what is leaking. i am going to clean it all up and then pump up the system and get my arms in there with the engine off.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Topping the system off, removing the bottom shield and running it with the front wheels on ramps should reveal where the leak is coming from.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
I have an Alradco in my V because I figured I would upgrade when I was installing a new engine. The fatter radiator definitely makes things more complicated at the front of the engine bay. Yes, the stock fans are used with the Alradco, but it's a very tight fit. The thermostat housing / water neck coming off the water pump actually protrudes into the fan shroud, so the only way to pull the fans is to drain the cooling system and unbolt the thermostat housing.
Took a shot yesterday to show what I was describing above:

Old 07-15-2015, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow thanks. I pressurized the system today with it cold and i think its the hose from the bottom of the radiator to the thermostat. i started to pull it but ran out of day light. i will know more tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

so i had to put this on the side to do some work on my girls car. it ended up being the water pump. any preference on aftermarket vs ACdelco??
Old 08-13-2015, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Seems to be the LS6 water pump has more reports of leaking than the LS2. Not sure if they've updated it or if there's a better alternative. If you got 100k+ out of it I'd just put in a Delco unit myself.

Quick Reply: Low Coolant message