Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Head Unit DVD Nav System Options

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Head Unit DVD Nav System Options

Okay, So my navi is what it seems like dead. Wont boot up with the "Now Starting", It has a blank Screen No button functions besides Volume and the <Seek> Button. After fighting with it today trying to check the wires, Breaking my ashtray (Springy thing wont spring anymore) ive come to the point where I want to go aftermarket if possible. I will keep it simple, I have a gas gauge, a smart phone, and I change my oil every 3-5K miles. I do not care about the DIC Sh*t. I only care about Turning traction On/Off And Stabilitrak On/Off. I don't care a about Competitive Driving Mode, I never use it anyway. My TBSS is TC On off hold for ten sec for Everything off soo im used to that.

Straight forward questions about my Options.

Can I go after market head unit an be able to Turn TC on off And Stabilitrak On off with holding the TC steering wheel button for 10 seconds?

IF not.

Can I Put a Base CTS DIC in the car with aftermarket head unit retaining cars TC Functions?

If that don't work.

How much does a new(but used) CTS-V head unit cost? where can I find one? lol.

I have done a search on this and found some stuff. But nothing was very straight forward. So I know it might be a broken record of a post but please any insight on this and help is greatly appreciated. My little girl is also bugging me cause she cant watch sponge bob when im driving on the dvd player, I wanna give that back to her
Old 07-08-2015, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Really no one?
Old 07-08-2015, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes you can install a CTS DIC and retain functions.
No aftermarket head unit will give you the functions that disappear.
Check Ebay for a OEM head unit, but it will have to be TECH II'd (after install) to be identified for your car.
If you want to really do something neat:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ication-4.html
Old 07-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Warmachine08
Can I Put a Base CTS DIC in the car with aftermarket head unit retaining cars TC Functions?
I'm researching this part as well. It's been done. If you get a base DIC and have it matched to your VIN, you can hack it up and put in another head unit.

I am planning to do this myself soon, once I can make myself "need" the new nav since my only issue is my Nav won't load a disc.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...rket-head.html

If you read closely enough, almost everything is there that you need.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...0-install.html

I did a Kenwood and love it for the most part. I don't need my car to tell me its cold or that my tries need air so I don't miss that POS. The only thing I lost that I know of is the voltmeter....

The only problems I've had...

1. the Kenwood is a bit "glitchy" every once in a while but it usually finds its way back home....time for a firmware update.

2. The aftermarket surround/mount has gotten tired of holding up the head unit for the last 60k miles and its getting weak. It's starting to get "squeaking" from rubbing against the AC control/ashtray.

I sold my stock nav system for $600 on ebay and bought my kenwood for $620....fair trade IMHO.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Default Head Unit DVD Nav System Options

I scrapped the head unit and Bose pos a long time ago. You still keep full tc sc function just no display of car info I have a pioneer app radio 2. I am also running a Bluetooth module with torque to see my car parameters I mirror my phone with radio screen better than OEM.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't get the stock NAV unit out of my car fast enough. I've always had aftermarket audio systems in my car, so it was inevitable, but the stock NAV system and radio were so infuriating, it was a must do for me. Using a base model CTS radio to retain the DIC was the only real option for the way I prefer to keep my interiors. Works and looks awesome.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fweasel
I couldn't get the stock NAV unit out of my car fast enough. I've always had aftermarket audio systems in my car, so it was inevitable, but the stock NAV system and radio were so infuriating, it was a must do for me. Using a base model CTS radio to retain the DIC was the only real option for the way I prefer to keep my interiors. Works and looks awesome.

I really, really, really like how that looks. Im sure the Base CTS DIC is fairly cheap compared to our stock head units? Im def going to look into this option. I think I might just get a double din pioneer HU and mounting kit an throwing it in, now that I know I will retain all TC functionality, with no issues and the car wont let me turn stabilitrak off an what not. This HU is so annoying. I hate how it make the car look dated when the body and looks overall aren't. and its so difficult to use.. its confusing and the NAV is so shitty. I don't even use it.. lol.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

I hated the way the plastic double din dash kit looks, almost as much as I hated the stock head unit. It has too much unused real estate, in my opinion, and looks like a bad DIY fab job from a carputer forum. The base model head units can be had for about $50-$100 used. I bought several before I was able to assemble one from parts that met my criteria. Most of them are scratched all to hell. The modification only took me an afternoon, my installer took care of the rest. I spent more time than that shopping for the parts.

Last edited by Fweasel; 07-09-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hated the way the plastic double dine dash kit looks, almost as much as I hated the stock head unit. It has too much unused real estate, in my opinion, and looks like a bad DIY fab job
Wow that's kinda harsh. I find it the opposite. I think it balances well with all the blank real estate that surrounds the AC controller and the ashtray versus a sea of unnecessary buttons and useless functions not needed to operate the car.

edit....your setup does look nice though, I just don't need all that!

Last edited by ls1247; 07-09-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:49 AM
Teching In

I hated the way the plastic double dine dash kit looks, almost as much as I hated the stock head unit. It has too much unused real estate, in my opinion, and looks like a bad DIY fab job from a carputer forum. The base model head units can be had for about $50-$100 used. I bought several before I was able to assemble one from parts that met my criteria. Most of them are scratched all to hell. The modification only took me an afternoon, my installer took care of the rest. I spent more time than that shopping for the parts.
Besides the DIC/Headunit What else do you need to put the aftermarket headunit in? and do you have to move anything around?.. also you still have full function of traction control on and off and turning stabilitrak off? I wanna make sure if I don't go the base cts dic route an just put a pioneer double din in place of the factory unit that I can turn the stabilitrak on an off along with the traction control with no issues. I don't need it to tell me that it's on or off I know when it's on or off now cause my screen is blank an don't tell me regardless.

Last edited by Warmachine08; 07-09-2015 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 07-09-2015, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1247
Wow that's kinda harsh. I find it the opposite. I think it balances well with all the blank real estate that surrounds the AC controller and the ashtray versus a sea of unnecessary buttons and useless functions not needed to operate the car.
Just my opinion. One of our cars looks OEM, the other looks aftermarket. I'm a ***** for OEM appearance and strive to integrate all of my aftermarket modifications in keeping with that theme. Obvious exclusions are things like a NAV touchscreen necessary for the improved user interface.

Besides the DIC/Headunit What else do you need to put the aftermarket headunit in? and do you have to move anything around?.. also you still have full function of traction control on and off and turning stabilitrak off? I wanna make sure if I don't go the base cts dic route an just put a pioneer double din in place of the factory unit that I can turn the stabilitrak on an off along with the traction control with no issues. I don't need it to tell me that it's on or off I know when it's on or off now cause my screen is blank an don't tell me regardless.
Depends if you want to keep steering wheel controls and Onstar features active as there are sub-harness and aftermarket modules for that, and what you're doing speaker wise, integrating with bose, or bypassing that completely. Nothing exotic.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Just my opinion. One of our cars looks OEM, the other looks aftermarket. I'm a ***** for OEM appearance and strive to integrate all of my aftermarket modifications in keeping with that theme. Obvious exclusions are things like a NAV touchscreen necessary for the improved user interface.

Depends if you want to keep steering wheel controls and Onstar features active as there are sub-harness and aftermarket modules for that, and what you're doing speaker wise, integrating with bose, or bypassing that completely. Nothing exotic.
What I was going to do was keep the Bose speakers just put a pioneer double din touch screen in. My OnStar isn't active I don't have the subscription. I don't have steering wheel buttons besides tc cruise control an the dic under the tachometer. It's an 04 V so it didn't come with the radio controls. I just don't want to put an aftermarket head unit in and I can't turn tc and stabilitrak on an off. So that's why I'm worried an wondering if I take out the stock unit for an aftermarket one is if gonna screw with driving functions like tc an stabilitrak.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

wondering if I take out the stock unit for an aftermarket one is if gonna screw with driving functions like tc an stabilitrak.
Its all been covered before. Removing the stock nav system in a V does nothing more than limit you from adjusting settings found only in the DIC (delayed door locks, tilt reverse mirror, etc) and the text feedback of the traction control system's status. All traction control modes are still available using the steering wheel and glove box controls, regardless of a NAV screen, base model DIC, or aftermarket head unit only.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Its all been covered before. Removing the stock nav system in a V does nothing more than limit you from adjusting settings found only in the DIC (delayed door locks, tilt reverse mirror, etc) and the text feedback of the traction control system's status. All traction control modes are still available using the steering wheel and glove box controls, regardless of a NAV screen, base model DIC, or aftermarket head unit only.
That's exactly what I wanted to know! Now just to pick the right head unit an such.. or do the exact set up you have. I also have this thing with keeping a car looking factory with aftermarket/factory out of another car parts.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a custom center stack that looks like this & just needs a stereo for the center part. I also have a Parrot Asteroid Smart looking for a home too! The Parrot wouldn't fit, but it probably could with some modifications into the customer center stack.

Check my for sale thread.

We can work out a deal for the center stack & PAS.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LAYGO
I have a custom center stack that looks like this & just needs a stereo for the center part. I also have a Parrot Asteroid Smart looking for a home too! The Parrot wouldn't fit, but it probably could with some modifications into the customer center stack.
How would you rate the Parrot? Which Nav were you using? Did you have an internet connection on it, or use it offline most of the time. Just looking for some real-world feedback since I am leaning this way whenever I get around to doing this.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Schoeny
How would you rate the Parrot? Which Nav were you using? Did you have an internet connection on it, or use it offline most of the time. Just looking for some real-world feedback since I am leaning this way whenever I get around to doing this.
I loved my PAS. My only issue was the cpu/ram, it just wasn't powerful enough. I tethered my cellphone to it via Bluetooth. Worked great. I never had to access my phone while driving.

If they came out with a 2nd gen, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my Parrot as well. I have Torque running on it, with bluetooth running pandora and tethered via usb with no issues at all. reads txts, calls sound great. I still have access with my phone even with everything running. Ended up buying the Tom Tom nav for it though, it stays more up to date and just easier to use than what comes pre installed. Plus if you root it, you can have good play which makes it so much better!

Quick Reply: Head Unit DVD Nav System Options