Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Newbie with questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 12:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with questions!

Hey everyone! Just bought a 2005 CTS-V and must say it is one of the best cars I have ever owned. Coming from a background of decent car (1996 Z28, 2006 Lancer Evolution) I think the V brings the world of speed and luxury together flawlessly. While there is a list of mods that I have in my head to add to the ones the previous owner had done, I would like to see what everyone thinks on certain items.

Fluids- Since the original owner said it had been some time since the transmission and rear end fluids were done I was wondering what everyone runs? He just did a Mobile 1 change before I picked up the car and I myself am a AMSOIL fan and have a friend who gets it at a very reasonable price. From what I have read Redline, GM syncromesh, and Royal were brought up a lot. Just leave comments with what you V1 owners use.

Ignition- I want to do plugs since I have no idea when the last time they were done. On my Sierra, I just did Delco Iridium. The car has a mild bolt on list so no reason to run outside of stock temp range. Also what wire set to boot? (no pun intended)

Shifter- The car currently has a B&M and I love it, but I do not love the stock shift ****. I would like to be able to have a shifter that accepts a threaded Hurst ball or oversized Hurst style threaded. Anyone just add a Hurst handle to the B&M base? I saw a kit made by pissnuoff and was wondering if that would just be the best bet??

Tires- The oh so dreaded expense that I know will come too soon. Right now my car is at about 50% but bottom line I travel with the car and need something good to get to work and around town in any weather. All season tire suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks in advance to all the guys and gals that have been in the V game a while and know the ins and outs and can answer these questions. Sincerely the Cadillac noob
Old 07-16-2015, 01:00 AM
Teching In

Did not want to forget an entry photo
Old 07-16-2015, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally run Mobile 1 in my car. Have had no issues to even think about changing out the trans or rear diff fluid, though I am replacing them soon with a tick shift and 8.8. As for ignition, NGKs are good, have about 20k miles on them and havnt had a stutter yet ( knock on wood). As for a shifter the Creative steel is nice, no issues or slack, I change it when I hit the track and it is pretty easy to do, heres the link https://creative-steel.com/shop/04-0...throw-shifter/. as for tires, I am a Pirellis fan, the P Neros are good all season tires for daily driving and dont break the bank to much. I live in Texas so its mostly dry but handles the wet and even ice pretty well. Hope you enjoy the V man!
Old 07-16-2015, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

like above i have been runnign NGK tr55 pluggs in LS cars for years with no issues. I have thrown MSD wires on but anything from stock to several popular aftermaket options are likely fine. Michelin piliot sport as3's are a great all season tire but again there are plenty of options there.

i am also into see about the diff fluid. i have mobile 1 synthetic in my trans and have ran it in several t56's. i know i have read about some special mix of a couple fluids in the rear but i would rather stick with one.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:57 PM
Teching In

I run AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W-90 with the Slip Lock Gear Oil Additive in the diff. Quieted down my whine some what, highly suggest this.

I also run signature series AMSOIL ATF in the trans, which shifts smoother for me than the stock fluid did. Some guys here run the Torque-Drive ATF but my local dealer didn't carry it.

I run Mobil 1 5W-30 for engine oil because I drive a lot and change every 3,000 miles and don't want to pay Amsoil prices.

Brian's hurst shifter is an entirely new assembly. The B&M has the same style upper shaft as the stock shifter. Unless you cut off the shaft and weld on a threaded rod, you won't be able to put on a hurst ball I believe.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you buy this V in Chicago? I recognize that picture.

As for tires, you'll be hard pressed to beat the Michelin pilot super sport AS3's, especially with the weather around here.

Last edited by Fweasel; 07-16-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:45 AM
On The Tree

in for info. i too recently purchased my V.

Woods2390..... what are the mods the previous owner did? the car looks really nice btw.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:46 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Amsoil TorqueDrive for the transmission. Amsoil Severe Gear for the diff.

Nitto Invo for tires.

My Hurst shifters are the best out there, hands down.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Car looks great, would love to see a side shot of her, thinking of doing my calipers in yellow as well. I run Royal in the tranny and diff and havent had an issue, congrats on the purchase man.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using the 3 quarts Redline D4 ATF and 1 quart Redline MTL 70W80 GL-4 concoction in the transmission. Been happy with it, I noticed easier shifting into reverse immediately after putting it in. Here's some discussion on this.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...uld-i-use.html
Old 07-17-2015, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Brackets
I've been using the 3 quarts Redline D4 ATF and 1 quart Redline MTL 70W80 GL-4 concoction in the transmission. Been happy with it, I noticed easier shifting into reverse immediately after putting it in. Here's some discussion on this.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...uld-i-use.html
I was running this and it felt good, but Jason at TDP who did my stage 2 trans build said no. And told me to run non-synthetic dexIII. So.....I'm going to listen to him. Especially since he said my trans had wear like he rarely sees. @ 104,000 miles so.....I'm taking his advice. It shifts great, so I have no complaints.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
I was running this and it felt good, but Jason at TDP who did my stage 2 trans build said no.
I ran it for a short time as well. Shifted poorly in cold weather. Finishline Transmission also told me to run plain old Dex III after they put my trans back together. No complaints since.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
I was running this and it felt good, but Jason at TDP who did my stage 2 trans build said no. And told me to run non-synthetic dexIII. So.....I'm going to listen to him. Especially since he said my trans had wear like he rarely sees. @ 104,000 miles so.....I'm taking his advice. It shifts great, so I have no complaints.
Nik, did he offer any reasons why not? I don't drive my car in the cold so that's never been an issue.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run the 3:1 redline mix all year here in MN for two years, no issues. However, it's seemed like it doesn't go into 4th or 5th gear as easily anymore without a little rev matching so I may try going back to oem fluid.

Run oem plugs if you daily the car, they'll last 100+k miles. Stock AC delco wires from rock auto work great (red).

I run mobile1 for motor oil and redline in the trans and rear diff.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fweasel
Did you buy this V in Chicago? I recognize that picture.

As for tires, you'll be hard pressed to beat the Michelin pilot super sport AS3's, especially with the weather around here.
Yes sir, the car is from the Chicagoland area. Picked it up and then drove her back down here to the Evansville, IN area.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CaptSlow
in for info. i too recently purchased my V.

Woods2390..... what are the mods the previous owner did? the car looks really nice btw.
Thank you! As it sits now it has just bolt-ons. OBX headers, Corsa exhaust, Volant intake, all the important bushings and motor and trans mounts. Tuned by Speed INC in Schaumburg, IL.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jcollege
Car looks great, would love to see a side shot of her, thinking of doing my calipers in yellow as well. I run Royal in the tranny and diff and havent had an issue, congrats on the purchase man.
I will post a pic in here for you as soon as I get a chance
Old 07-18-2015, 07:46 AM
Teching In

PM sent! That shifter sounds like it practically sells itself.

Quick Reply: Newbie with questions!