Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Traded in the Goat for a V1

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traded in the Goat for a V1

Hey, fellas

Figured I would re-introduce myself on here considering this is where I spend most of my time.

I had a 2004 GTO 6m that I had for around 1 year. I grew to dislike it just because of the daily driving aspects of it. It was an annoyance getting my son in and out of the back. No real creature comforts and all around I just felt like it wasn't a good fit for me.

I had been keeping my eye on v1's that were popping up at the dealers near me and I came across this one.

2006 100k and it looked to be unmolested and in great shape. I went and drove it and fell in love

Traded in the goat and drove it home that night, and never looked back.

Immediately did a muffler delete, and replaced the res with an x-pipe.

Then found a guy selling some brand new eibachs and a K&N intake for really cheap so I picked those up. I plan to modify the K&N so it receives proper cooler air. I also ordered the MM spacers and got all that stuff installed.

I then adjusted the parking brake since it was completely non-functioning.

The second day I had it I noticed water starting pooling up on the passenger mat, I freaked out until I realized that it was just the hose for a/c condensation plugged up. Easy fix.

Next order of business is going to be all the fluids, rear brake pads, and then all the mounts/bushings, followed by some power mods. Headers, cam, tune.

It is my daily driver so I am not going to be doing anything crazy with it. I'd like it to last another 100k so just the typical bolt-ons for me.

Anyways, see ya guys around.
Attached Thumbnails Traded in the Goat for a V1-unnamed-28-.jpg   Traded in the Goat for a V1-11951807_10204519973348603_345329556747027221_n.jpg   Traded in the Goat for a V1-unnamed-33-.jpg   Traded in the Goat for a V1-unnamed-34-.jpg  
Old 09-10-2015, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the new purchase, clean looking V, love the infra-red
Old 09-10-2015, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jcollege
Congrats on the new purchase, clean looking V, love the infra-red
haha You'd be surprised how long I looked trying to figure out the name of the color. Thank you.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome trade. I have been looking more and more at V1s instead of another tbss for a daily driver since I had such a bad experience with the ss I had before.

What are your first impressions of it as far as driving feel
Old 09-10-2015, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SCott5
Awesome trade. I have been looking more and more at V1s instead of another tbss for a daily driver since I had such a bad experience with the ss I had before.

What are your first impressions of it as far as driving feel
So I'll preface this, I have driven a lot of cars, like a lot.

This is such an amazing car. I have a kid so the 4 doors is essential. Plenty of room in the back and the drivers seat is an awesome place to be.
Its raw yet refined if that makes sense. There is definitely a sense that it is sorting things out, but you are still in control.
Compared to the GTO it is so much more smooth in terms of power delivery and just overall driving. Great for road trips and longer drives, yet still very capable for spirited driving.
There are a good amount of creature comforts, but you aren't overwhelmed by the amount of buttons or other tech.

Rides great for daily driving in stock form, and even with eibachs it rides comparatively. It is more firm now but nowhere near uncomfortable.

And let me say this, EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASY to work on

I was expecting to have to take it to the shop for things but so far I have done a good amount of work on it and it is hands down one of the easiest cars I have ever worked on.

I'd easily give it an 8/10

I'd say if you are on the fence, get it! Assuming you haven't test driven one do that first and see how it feels to you.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is very comforting to hear and once I get my turbo car out of project mod I will be pulling the trigger on one of them, thanks for the insight
Old 09-10-2015, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Looks great! Much better DD than the goat.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Woods2390
Looks great! Much better DD than the goat.
that's for damn sure
Old 09-11-2015, 01:12 AM
Staging Lane

Power steering flush is complete. It looked like someone squeezed black licorice. Most likely the original fluid.

Tomorrow I am knocking out the trans fluid, coolant flush, and if I can find some gear oil for the rear diff I will do that as well. After that I need to get some new front tires and an alignment.

Then...I can start with the fun stuff.

Here's my crude to-do list I started. I am sure that will continue to grow as the days go by. I also need to create secondary check lists for the header/cam swap.
Attached Thumbnails Traded in the Goat for a V1-11988752_10204551986588914_3322374210260719932_n.jpg   Traded in the Goat for a V1-unnamed-2-.jpg  
Old 09-11-2015, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you've done your research and know what this car needs. These are my two recommendations: short shifter from 07CTS-V (should be a sticky up top) and driveshaft carrier bearing from voodoochikin.

Last edited by bmylez; 09-11-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you like your V!

If this is easy to work on I guess that means the GTO was hard to work on. Why was it so bad?
Old 09-11-2015, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Short shifter is definitely on the mental list, just forgot to write it down. I haven't really looked into the carrier bearing yet but I will. Thank for the heads up.

I try and research extensively before, and during getting a new car so I can try to eliminate any issues that will end up costing me a lot of money.
I am currently still a student (ASU), so time/money is not something I have a whole lot of until I graduate this December.

Originally Posted by bmylez
Sounds like you've done your research and know what this car needs. These are my two recommendations: short shifter from 07CTS-V (should be a stick up top) and driveshaft carrier bearing from voodoochikin.

I don't like it, I love it.

And I didn't do a whole lot to the goat because most of the stuff was addressed prior to me getting it. However the stuff I did do was much more difficult. I did have other random projects and secondary daily drivers, and worked on friend's cars during that time so I was working on a bunch of things.

Originally Posted by ls1247
Glad you like your V!

If this is easy to work on I guess that means the GTO was hard to work on. Why was it so bad?
Old 09-11-2015, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

"hose for a/c condensation plugged up"
how did you fix that?
Old 09-11-2015, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by demang
"hose for a/c condensation plugged up"
how did you fix that?
pull the carpet back by the gas pedal on the trans tunnel, you;ll see a rubber hose that comes from the hvac through the floor. Lay a towel down and pull that hose off the hvac, water will dump out. Then run some air or something else through the hose to clear it out.

That fixed mine.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure you're prepared for anything when you do the headers. There's a good chance one of the exhaust bolts has the head snapped off. I had to pull the head to get at mine (rearmost pass side) and the snowballed into a top-end rebuild (lifters, springs, seals, gaskets, smoothed intake ports with a dremel, and degreased/decrudded EVERYTHING). I'm glad I went through all that for some peace of mind, but a surprise rebuild when all I wanted to do was install headers was not the most welcome. It added another $500 to the project.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Make sure you're prepared for anything when you do the headers. There's a good chance one of the exhaust bolts has the head snapped off. I had to pull the head to get at mine (rearmost pass side) and the snowballed into a top-end rebuild (lifters, springs, seals, gaskets, smoothed intake ports with a dremel, and degreased/decrudded EVERYTHING). I'm glad I went through all that for some peace of mind, but a surprise rebuild when all I wanted to do was install headers was not the most welcome. It added another $500 to the project.
Yeah I am afraid of that, but I will be soaking the header bolts in pb blaster for a few days before I pull anything.
Luckily it has been an AZ car for its whole life so there is 0 corrosion. I also do not believe the headers have ever been off so I am crossing my fingers that everything goes smooth.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My theory behind it is motor mounts. Once they fail they allow too much movement in the engine. The engine movement against the rigid exhaust with the added heat cycling over time makes them brittle. The head of the bolt was gone before I ever got there. If the previous owners were meticulous about their motor mount replacements it's possible that the bolts are fine, but if they were left to linger for extended periods there's a good chance of it.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:19 AM
Staging Lane

Got some stuff done...

Redline 75w90 in the rear diff
valvoline synthetic atf in the trans
new rear pads
tb cleaning
power steering flush

and installed the cags delete. So damn awesome. Best mod so far.

I gave him a good wash and spray wax today. Looks great

Also, here's an updated to-do/done list.
Attached Thumbnails Traded in the Goat for a V1-10354155_10204562963183322_1738409761092610537_n.jpg   Traded in the Goat for a V1-unnamed-3-.jpg  
Old 09-13-2015, 02:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice car, I like your big sharpie board.. I'm stealing that idea for my garage
Old 09-13-2015, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Impressive progress for such a short time. I'd add a brake fluid flush to the list on a car with 100K and no maintenance history. Suck the reservoir dry with a turkey baster and start with fresh fluid there so it flushes out quicker.

Quick Reply: Traded in the Goat for a V1