Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Installing clutch, stuck removing drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing clutch, stuck removing drive shaft

Hi guys,
I am in the process of installing a new clutch on my 05 V and am currently trying to remove the drive shaft. I am curious if the triangular drive shaft end that goes to the transmission has to be pulled apart from the rubber piece or if the rubber piece should come out with the driveshaft. Im including a picture of what i'm referring to.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doesn't have to come off of it.

Make sure you mark the diff-to-driveshaft and driveshaft-to-trans yolk so you reinstall everything just like it was (for balance)
Old 09-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jclayc
doesn't have to come off of it.

Make sure you mark the diff-to-driveshaft and driveshaft-to-trans yolk so you reinstall everything just like it was (for balance)
I guess i worded my question wrong. I meant can the rubber piece stay on the trans. Thanks
Old 09-21-2015, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always leave it on the trans and just mark the spot they mated up.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes. The rubber piece can stay on the trans. But if you can't get them out, then it can also come off of the trans. Which is how most do it anyway. So if you're hung up, then why not try something different? Unless you have some particular reason why you don't want the rubber piece to come off of the trans.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Yes. The rubber piece can stay on the trans. But if you can't get them out, then it can also come off of the trans. Which is how most do it anyway. So if you're hung up, then why not try something different? Unless you have some particular reason why you don't want the rubber piece to come off of the trans.
The bolts seemed near impossible to break loose. I did take out the 3 bolts that connect the drive shaft to rubber piece and it didn't come apart easily so I thought it wasn't supposed to come apart. I will try again tomorrow and if i cant separate the driveshaft from the rubber I will try to break the bolts loose and pull it all out together.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe the driveshaft to trans coupler bolts are only supposed to be like 63 ft/lbs. I've seen some places recommend loctite red on them so that may be a factor.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

The shop manual calls for red loctite, and yes it's 63 ft-lbs. Rear allen head bolts are 48.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Does anyone here have the shop manual they can share with me?
Old 09-22-2015, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

There's a thread in the section that tells you how to access some manuals.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

that rubber disc has 6 holes for the bolts to go through.. 3 to the drive shaft and 3 to the transmission. Those bolt holes are provided using machined tubes. 3 tubes extend about 1/8" on the driveshaft side and the same on the transmission side. Those 1/8" protrusions seat into recesses on the receiving ends of the driveshaft and transmission flange. They can be quite a pain to separate if you havent had the driveshaft out before. give them some good whacks with a hammer and maybe even a srcew driver to help separate from which ever side they want to the easiest. good luck.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04
that rubber disc has 6 holes for the bolts to go through.. 3 to the drive shaft and 3 to the transmission. Those bolt holes are provided using machined tubes. 3 tubes extend about 1/8" on the driveshaft side and the same on the transmission side. Those 1/8" protrusions seat into recesses on the receiving ends of the driveshaft and transmission flange. They can be quite a pain to separate if you havent had the driveshaft out before. give them some good whacks with a hammer and maybe even a srcew driver to help separate from which ever side they want to the easiest. good luck.
Thank you this was very helpful i was able to get it off.

Quick Reply: Installing clutch, stuck removing drive shaft