Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Tilton clutch slave cylinder / release bearing setup from RPS on V1

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Tilton clutch slave cylinder / release bearing setup from RPS on V1

As mentioned in another thread, I'm running a Tilton clutch slave cylinder that was set up by RPS. Sssnake asked for details, and I probably should've shared information about it already, so I figured I would just start a new thread.

Background:

- 54.2k miles - Fidanza aluminum flywheel and twin disk clutch installed with the stock slave.

- 68.8k miles - Engine blew during a track event @ VIR. When I pulled the clutch assembly off I found what I think were hot spots on the floater disk and pressure plate, so I sent the clutch back to Fidanza to be refurbed. They told me they were no longer selling or servicing those twin disk clutches, so they offered me a great deal on an ACT T1S-G02 and I went for that. The ACT clutch and flywheel were installed with the stock slave.

- 77.9k miles - The stock slave cylinder died during a trip from CT to VA. Fortunately, I was within free towing distance of home for my insurance's roadside assistance, so I got the car towed home without costing me an arm and a leg. I picked up an LS7 slave from Luke @ Lindsay and had it installed by a shop with the appropriate spacer (which was either from Katech or came with one of the clutch/flywheel kits). At that point, I knew that it wasn't terribly uncommon for the slave cylinder to die, and that the LS7 was a common replacement/upgrade, so I figured I would be good to go. Unfortunately...

- 90.2k miles - After only 12.5k miles, the LS7 slave cylinder died during a track event @ VIR. This time it did cost me an arm a leg, as I had to rent a UHaul truck and trailer to get the car home.

With two slave failures in < 13k miles I figured there had to be something going on, so I did some reading on the forums and found all the discussion about dimensions not quite stacking up right, the measurements one should take, the slave cylinder shim kits, etc etc. I had the car taken back to the same shop again, and they told me they've seen issues with the OEM slave cylinders on other T-56 platforms, and they've installed Tilton slave cylinder setups done by RPS on various F-bodies and Vettes. RPS hadn't done a V yet, but they could use my car to set one up. I considered going with another LS7, with a shim kit to get the clearances right, and perhaps paired with a PMC to help "clean up" the shifting. However, Philistine was still a few weeks from releasing his setup, so I agreed to go the RPS route. That entailed not just the Tilton slave, but also an RPS clutch, which I wasn't too thrilled about (as the ACT had been perfectly fine).

Measurements were taken, a spacer was made, and voila! A Tilton slave cylinder (aka release bearing)!

I'm honestly not sure what slave it actually is. You can read the part number on it, but that doesn't match up to anything on Tilton's site - I guess they've changed their part numbering scheme in the past year? It looks like it's one of their 8000-series slaves, but the part number doesn't match.

The good news is that 19k miles later the slave hasn't died. Hooray! Really, I don't have much to say about it other than that - it works. The RPS clutch, on the other hand, has been quite annoying, becoming quite noisy after 6 or 7k miles. I plan to go back to the ACT setup, hopefully in the not-too-distant future.

I was hoping that the new slave would alleviate some of the "typical" hydraulic issues that I (like many of us) have - difficulty getting into reverse, general notchiness in shifting - but if anything it's been worse than the LS7 slave I had before. I have a PMC at home (which I might get around to installing this weekend) that I'm hoping will take care of all of that. We shall see...
Old 09-23-2015, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

62-806 is the part number for the "hydraulic base". Does the bearing have a number on it too?
https://tiltonracing.com/wp-content/...tion-Sheet.pdf
This page lists it as a standard 8000 series base, but I cant find any more info either.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...sp?RecID=12216
Old 09-23-2015, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Ahhh, your searchfu is better than mine! Not sure on the bearing part number, as those are the only 2 pics I've got.

Reading through that PDF really makes me hope that I don't **** anything up when I install the PMC! I did talk to Tilton's technical support and verified that a 7/8" MC would be the proper match for the slave I've got, and I'm assuming the pedal stroke has been set properly since the thing hasn't destroyed itself in 19k miles of use.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:59 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Which RPS clutch did they install? I have the ST-Full and it is really quiet. After 15k miles I found all the fingers on the Marcel spring broken so I had them make me a custom setup without the Marcel spring. It chattered on launch without the spring, as expected, for the next 17k miles. I had the motor out so I sent the clutch to RPS to check it out. They told me it had 90% life left but had a bent floater plate, most likely from hitting it with the input shaft during Trans install. They replaced it and sent it back to me. It's been in for another 2k miles already and there is no chatter or any noise whatsoever.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

I have an ST-Full as well. At about 6 or 7k miles it started to occasionally squeal when getting moving from a stop. Now it does it about 95% of the time. It very, very rarely makes any noise if I'm rolling, but if I'm getting moving from a stop it squeals as I let the clutch out. Doesn't seem to matter how I let the clutch out - if I release it very quickly, it's a shorter, deeper squeal, almost like barking the tires. If I drag the clutch out more slowly (driving as I normally would on the street), it's a longer, higher pitched squeal, about the same pitch as squealing brakes. And it's not a little noise, it's easily audible. Frankly, it's embarrassing - it's not a noise I've ever heard another car make, and it makes the car sound like a piece of ****.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:30 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd be upset as well. I was shocked at how smooth mine was after not having a bent floater and no Marcel spring.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Frankly, it's embarrassing - it's not a noise I've ever heard another car make, and it makes the car sound like a piece of ****.
Seems to be pretty common for this car. Between the extremely clunky diff, my weird grinding rotor/hub issue, super loud valve train, other random rattles...it's hard to look cool in these cars.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Ahhh, your searchfu is better than mine! Not sure on the bearing part number, as those are the only 2 pics I've got.

Reading through that PDF really makes me hope that I don't **** anything up when I install the PMC! I did talk to Tilton's technical support and verified that a 7/8" MC would be the proper match for the slave I've got, and I'm assuming the pedal stroke has been set properly since the thing hasn't destroyed itself in 19k miles of use.
Give some feedback once you install the PMC-Tilton - after proper bleeding, and setting of the rod-arm etc. I would be interested to know the results with the combo that you are using - before and after with the new MC.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:47 AM
TECH Resident

Also curious to hear your experiences with the PMC
Old 09-30-2015, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

FYI, there is also a T56 specific PN. 60-6105, I have one on the way, it appears to be adjustable. No sound should be required.

Quick Reply: Tilton clutch slave cylinder / release bearing setup from RPS on V1