Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Transferring stock outer CVs & stubs to DSS axles - help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Exclamation Transferring stock outer CVs & stubs to DSS axles - help?

I dropped my car off at a shop on Monday to have them install the CS 8.8" kit. I elected to do the non-upgraded outer CVs, as I didn't think I had any need to upgrade.

Shop called me today and said they tried to transfer the outer CVs over and they couldn't do it in-house. They delivered the axles to a local driveshaft/axle shop, and that shop is also apparently having problems ("they're pretty sure they're going to break some clips during the disassembly").

Now, I've never touched a CV in my life - done a number of complete CV axle replacements on my Subaroo, but have never even opened up a CV boot. However, I was not under the impression that it was anything particularly difficult, or that there were any special tricks for our axles vs. other CVs. Guys have done these 8.8" installs on their own, and people have been doing the Gforce/Hendrix/DSS axle shaft swaps for years. Can anyone give me some specific instructions on what the shop(s) should be doing to disassemble the stock axles? Maybe point me to a thread here that walks through it? Am I wrong, is there some special trick to doing the CTS-V's axles?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited by AAIIIC; 10-14-2015 at 08:51 PM. Reason: speeling
Old 10-14-2015, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've opened the CVs on a Subaru to change the boots and there is no voodoo inside. Just the funky tool you need to put the clamps on.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I just went through this on my own and it's not that difficult. Remove the band clamps, pull the boot back and smack the CV with a rubber mallet. The CV will pop off. Keep the CV strait with the axle. I mounted the axle in my vise, held the CV from moving with one hand and a couple smacks it was off. Other things to consider; the new outer CV clamps will rub a spot in the aluminum knuckle so a relief will need to be ground away with a grinder or Drexel. Also my left inner CV boot rubbed the cradle frame but a couple smacks with a hammer gave it some clearance. They give you new CV "spiders" and they are tight to install but when I talked to the manufacture of the axels they said this is fine and I had no problems so far.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

Plus it dosent matter if they break some clips cuz Thare are new ones on your new axels. Also be aware of two different size spiders with your kit and both have a chamfer to help squease the clip into its groove. Hope this helps
Old 10-14-2015, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, I passed your comments along. I was quite surprised when the shop called me today and said they hadn't been able to do it!
Old 10-14-2015, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local shop swapped DSS axles into a set of stock CV's, and charged me book time for stock rebuild. Only issue was wrong size boots and clamps that shipped from DSS, a known problem. No other complaints, he was done in an afternoon. I know nothing of the process myself, but based on my experience, assumed it was a no big deal sort of project.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Man, I did this personally with a rubber mallet. Bent CV joint to one side with boot and grease removed, and then just banged that thing and eventually it loosens the clip inside and falls out. Requires you hit it for real. Some guys have used wooden boards with holes in it, etc. Its not going to come out softly, but its not going to break unless you're a meathead, tbh.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

So, thanks to the advice here, the first shop went and retrieved the axles from the second shop (you know, the one that supposedly specializes in driveshafts and axles, but was unwilling to do the job) and did the job themselves in 20 or 30min.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
So, thanks to the advice here, the first shop went and retrieved the axles from the second shop (you know, the one that supposedly specializes in driveshafts and axles, but was unwilling to do the job) and did the job themselves in 20 or 30min.
Sounds about right for 2 of them. At least its all getting done.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Good news.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:25 AM
TECH Regular

Pics when done
Old 10-16-2015, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Old 10-17-2015, 06:21 AM
TECH Regular

Nice.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice

Quick Reply: Transferring stock outer CVs & stubs to DSS axles - help?