Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Radiator died. upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine didn't crack, it blew the hell up. Was driving home from the store and a slow take-off and heard a POP and then steam everywhere. I did the Alradco to be done with it as the dry desert heat probably doesn't help on the plastic.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

summit 189$ alum rad here.
Part number?
Old 12-15-2015, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I upgraded to the alradco if any one needs a stocker that does not leak. what 75$ shipped fair?

I also have the stock fan shroud and fans that i will no longer be using as well. 125$ shipped for that guy.

Shameless plug inserted
Old 12-15-2015, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Thomas
[IMG]https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech.com-vbulletin/540x960/80-busted_radiator_d7729dbbdbcde1bff4fc16a257635eaaf2 d0939d.jpg

Mine didn't crack, it blew the hell up. Was driving home from the store and a slow take-off and heard a POP and then steam everywhere. I did the Alradco to be done with it as the dry desert heat probably doesn't help on the plastic.
Damn! Never seen or heard of that happen before. Was it running hot when that happened or normal operating temp?
Old 12-15-2015, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prior to the pop it was running normal temps in the summer here 210 or so. It spewed dexcool all over the engine compartment and soaked the foam on the radiator cover which never really got clean so I didn't put the cover back on. I was only 0.5 mile from home and probably could have let it cooled and then driven home, but the wifey has AAA, so used one of the tows. That was approximately at 80,000 miles (30,000 miles ago) and the Alradco has been holding up fine and I don't forsee any issues with it.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Why not go with the GM part I used? It was $143+ shipping on rockauto.
I didnt want to get another plastic radiator and it was an excuse to tinker around a bit. This is what i've put together so far i should be done tomorrow. zip ties and bungees are temporary

Old 12-16-2015, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Interesting. Any more info on your new setup?
Old 12-16-2015, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Interesting. Any more info on your new setup?
I used an ebay aluminum mustang radiator was like $120, the ports are on the same side as stock. I had to make little brackets for the bottom since it doesnt have the pin that the stock radiator has to go into the frame. I just made L shaped brackets and put a bolt through it so it would go into the hole on the frame. For the top i used the stock brackets. I also had to trim my fan a bit but I will probably be looking for a better fan seeing as mine is either dying or the stock fan is just weak. all in all it was an easy modification and I didnt have to spend an arm and a leg for an alum radiator. with the plastic shroud that comes on the car you cant even tell its been modified.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another +1 here for the 'V6' radiator. Dealer had it next day for $143. Identical to OEM V rad except for extra tiny tab on bottom that doesn't interfere with anything.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Since this thread was linked from another thread about radiator replacements, I figured I would go ahead and add the pics that azn2dmax had referred to in his post...
Originally Posted by azn2dmax
Part number for the V6 radiator is AC Delco 21512 / GM 89022478

Go to this link as it has detailed pics:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...sv.html#/enter
From that thread...
----------------------------------
Originally Posted by AAIIIC
When I do the parts search on parts.nalleygmc.com it shows that 19259456 is the V radiator. It comes up with 89022478 as the radiator for the V-6 with the manual transmission. ACDelco 21642 is the same as 19259456, and can be had from Amazon Prime for $220; ACDelco 21512 is the same as 89022478 and is $140 on Amazon Prime. If I was in the market for a radiator, I would probably order them both just to see what's the dealio, then return the one I didn't need. I would imagine that the overall dimensions are damn close, but I'm guessing the V-6 part has a thinner core.
So, I finally did what I said I would do and ordered both from Amazon. Interesting how their pricing jumps around a lot - when I posted 3 months ago I said the 21642 was $220 on Amazon Prime, when I bought it last week I paid $262, and now it's $280ish. In another few weeks it might be back to $220 again. I've seen similar price fluctuations when ordering the 2-piece Brembo front rotors for the V2 - anywhere from $200 each to $300ish.

Aaaaanyway...

As I said above, the V radiator is ACDelco 21642, which is GM 19259456. MSRP is $498, GMPD has it for $320 (+ S&H), Amazon has it for $286 (w/free Prime shipping) right now.
The V6 manual transmission radiator is ACDelco 21512, which is GM 89022478. MSRP is $178.95, GMPD has it for $115 (+ S&H), Amazon has it for $131 (w/free shipping).

So, with the V radiator's MSRP being nearly 3x that of the V6 radiator, you would think there would be some major difference, right? Not so much. It would appear the price difference is just a massive V tax, because the radiators are essentially identical. Same core, same upper tank, and just one minor change on the lower tank (a mounting point on the V6 radiator that doesn't appear on the V radiator - see yellow circle below).

I didn't pull out my vernier caliper yet, but just eyeballing it off a measuring tape, I would say the core is 26mm thick (just slightly over 1" on the tape) for both models. Height and width are also the same. I have to say, I was quite surprised to find they were so similar - I figured the V radiator would at least have a thicker core, but it doesn't.

I also ordered a TYC 2731 radiator. They list it for both manual and automatic cars, so I knew it would have the auto trans cooler in the lower tank; if I decided to use the radiator I was just going to plug the inlet and outlet ports for the tranny cooler. The reason I ordered the TYC was because the specs online show it has a 1-1/16" core, so I wanted to see if it actually had a thicker core (which might make it worthwhile, particularly since it's only ~$100). Turns out that TYC just doesn't know how to use a measuring device , as the core is only 1" (so a little thinner than the 2 OEM cores). It's also apparent from looking at it that their manufacturing technique for the cooling fins is not as good as that used for the OEM radiators - there's about a 1/4 - 3/8" gap at the top and bottom where there are no fins, whereas the OEM fins go right to the top and bottom tanks. A minor thing, but I thought it was kind of interesting:

Here's a shot I took showing how tight the fitment is with the Alradco radiator:

That's looking down the back plane of the radiator fan enclosure, and you can see that the thermostat housing actually crosses the plane. To get the fans out you have to wriggle your hand in there to get to the 2 bolts to remove the thermostat housing. I suppose that's not the end of the world, but it makes an annoying job very frustrating.
----------------------------------

One word of caution is that ACDelco's packaging for the radiators absolutely sucks, so it may be worth ordering them locally (from your dealer) if you can get them to match or at least come close to the online pricing. I've ordered 3 21512s from Amazon - 1 was "used" (never installed but not in the original box), 2 were in the original ACDelco packaging. All 3 radiators I received were damaged to varying degrees. The box is way too big, and they just loosely wrap the radiator in some heavy brown paper wrapping that allows the radiator to move around too much. Here's the last one I got:

Both ends of the core were deformed like that. Again, that was a brand new radiator in the original (shitty) packaging. I returned it to Amazon and picked up a used V radiator here in the Classifieds.

I did 2 track events in June, 1 with the Alradco, 1 with the OEM. Peak coolant temps were the same for both - about 213F while on track. With both radiators, as soon as I got off track and was driving through the paddock, the fans brought coolant temp back down to the low/mid 190s. (Fan setpoints have been adjusted in the tune.) When the two radiators are empty, the stock one is 16# lighter than the Alradco (~8# vs ~24#); presumably the Alradco holds more coolant, so the full weight difference would be a bit larger.

I like the Alradco. The construction appears to be excellent, but I wish it wasn't so fat. The core of the stock radiator is only ~1", while the upper and lower tanks are about twice that thick. It would seem like one could make a radiator with a 2" core, matching the thickness of the upper and lower tanks, which would give you double the core while not affecting fitment in the car in any way. My assumption is that Alradco doesn't make his own cores, that he gets them from a supplier that only makes certain widths, thus he's limited in what size he can make the radiator.

Last edited by AAIIIC; 07-03-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for going to the trouble of posting this!
Old 07-21-2016, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fantastic write-up and explanation, thank you!
Old 07-22-2016, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

FWIW, my V6 radiator was slightly damaged due to loose packaging when it arrived too. One of the top mounting tabs had been knocked off. Not a huge deal and no damage otherwise, but slightly annoying. I guess it fits the POS-V theme.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:46 AM
FormerVendor

We haven't made them before, but if someone is interested in sending us their original (non-aftermarket) radiator, we could build a prototype and cut a discount for helping us test-fit them?
Old 08-11-2016, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RnD Fabrication Radiators
We haven't made them before, but if someone is interested in sending us their original (non-aftermarket) radiator, we could build a prototype and cut a discount for helping us test-fit them?
Location? I just replaced my and still have the old one lying around
Old 08-11-2016, 11:50 AM
FormerVendor

I'm in acworth, ga
Old 08-11-2016, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

I live in Dunwoody and work in Kennesaw. I have my original radiator sitting in the garage if you'd like to work something out.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:49 PM
FormerVendor

Bud, that would work since you're so close. We could get together on a friday afternoon and I could pick up the old radiator to get started.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of the all aluminum Alradco, but for the price difference, the negligible difference in cooling, the added weight, and the extra space it takes, I think I'll stick with a base v6 radiator.

RnD - I'm excited to see what you get cooked up. If you can supply a radiator that allows for a noticeable amount of extra cooling capacity I'd be interested in paying the extra. OR. If you can supply a radiator that's similar to the OEM while still getting rid of the plastics for say $50 or $100 more (Not $300+) I would also be a buyer. If neither of those are met I'd still be a base v6 radiator buyer. Just giving some food for thought. Maybe others feel the same, maybe they don't.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

I could justify a $100 premium so long as there is even small improved performance and factory fit.

...and thanks for posting the kick *** info!

Quick Reply: Radiator died. upgrade?