Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Would you buy a 150k mile 09 CTS-V?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy a 150k mile 09 CTS-V?

I found an 09 V in my price range. The dealer is asking 15,888 for a stock automatic, it looks to be in decent shape, but are the 150k miles something I should be afraid of ? I know things break, but I don't want to buy something that is constantly going to be needed fixed. This will be more of a toy as I already have a daily. That being said, My knowledge is low of this particular car. Will the trans hold up much longer? Is the supercharger due for a rebuild ? Any knowledge towards anything of that nature is appreciated. And of course would you buy it ? 15k for a dream car seems too good to pass up.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by darkatnight
I found an 09 V in my price range. The dealer is asking 15,888 for a stock automatic, it looks to be in decent shape, but are the 150k miles something I should be afraid of ? I know things break, but I don't want to buy something that is constantly going to be needed fixed. This will be more of a toy as I already have a daily. That being said, My knowledge is low of this particular car. Will the trans hold up much longer? Is the supercharger due for a rebuild ? Any knowledge towards anything of that nature is appreciated. And of course would you buy it ? 15k for a dream car seems too good to pass up.
Lol sounds like a rebuilt title and keep it in mind if it was a manual and ran strait with that milage I would be standing with cash at dealers doorstep tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Putting myself back in those shoes...

I paid $19k for an 04 V with 90k in 2011. 7 year old car, much lower miles. It's at 150k now and with the amount of parts needing to be replaced I would AVOID that one.

While 15,888 is a technically low price for that model, I'd put that money into a different vehicle that could be just as enjoyable and won't eat up as much additional cash. That's just me speaking from a value standpoint. I love a nice V and I'm partial to Cadillacs, but there are other fish in the sea that won't make that money disappear so quickly.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That many miles per year is blatant highway use. Probably high gear coasting. An old ****** going back and forth to business trips.

Get it and run it. When the transmission breaks, upgrade.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah yes, we were discussing this car on the facebook. It has 5 previous owners and 1 reported accident. It's hit or miss. If it were a 1 or 2 owner car, that would be more reassuring.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Where is it...I'm in for that price but you should probably run like the wind. J/K

Are there any maintenance records? Always check the glove box.

Here is a short list of the components that are potentially on the chopping block...
starter, alternator, battery, plugs, wires, waterpump, radiator, belts, hoses, idlers, transmission, brakes/rotors/caliper.

These are things you can count on with any car at 150k....the V2 is probably a bit more specific and the supercharger could be suspect as there have been challenges with them in the past. Although there were factory solutions for these issues, you'd want to try and convince yourself those had been done to this car...How noisy is the supercharger at idle? If it sounds like its got marbles in it, break out your wallet.

The automatic transmission is pretty scary really....not only from a cost perspective but trying to find someone locally that can actually fix it. Are they doing crate replacements for these?? Sounds expensive...

If its been hit in the front, I'd take a close look at the wiring harness. That seems to be a weak point on V1s that have been hit on the left front corner so I'd be wary and PCM/harness repairs are difficult and expensive. Other than that, if it drives straight, I wouldn't worry too much about an accident as long as all the paint matches.

If you don't mind working on the car yourself, you can save yourself some money doing the nickle and dime stuff. If you aren't, the nickle and dime stuff can get expensive. If the car has been well maintained, the engine will go to 300K in my opinion.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Have you test drove the car yet?

Honestly the powertrains are known to go a while but I would detire away from this personally, mainly because of the accident.

Since the 09+ have more moving parts (supercharger) be prepared to pay more when things break.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I own a '09 CTS-V, AT6, highly modified with 49K miles for my daily. 690 RWHP, 630 RWTQ. I would not touch the one you are considering with a 10 ft pole. Too many potential issues, too many previous owners, etc., etc.
Just my personal thoughts.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Post was updated. They took the price down because they realized too many people wanted it.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:33 AM
Teching In

I'm having a buddy run the car fax to see if it's the same car with 5 owners. It is in Nebraska. I've have not driven it, I was trying to make my mind up if it is worth my while to go do so. Thank you for all the replies, it sounds more like this car may be a ticking time bomb.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Save up for another year and get a pristine condition 09.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's 19,800 now. Definitely not worth it at that point.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Man that's crooked for them to raise the price $4k when people want it.

Guess it's economics 101 though.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by darkatnight
I'm having a buddy run the car fax to see if it's the same car with 5 owners. It is in Nebraska. I've have not driven it, I was trying to make my mind up if it is worth my while to go do so. Thank you for all the replies, it sounds more like this car may be a ticking time bomb.
Yeah, Nebraska car, that means its starting to rust underneath. With that many owners and a sketch past, plus the rust, no thanks.

Not to steer you to the dark side or anything, but here is a meticulously maintained E55 AMG Benz on ebay now for about the same price. Supercharged v8 baby, this thing would out-run a C5 Z06 back in the day.

I know people get scared off by what it costs to fix German cars, but if you do the work yourself it isn't bad. In this day and age there is a ls1tech type site for every type of car with DIY threads on how to fix just about anything.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Ben...m=321988785063
Old 01-30-2016, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, those E55s a very very good value. Kind of an old car at this point, but with just a few mods they are real quick and have better technology than a poor V1.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Only grab that car if the price allows you to have a dedicated pile of car repair money from moment 1 and you can do a lot/most of the work yourself. If that's not you, avoid this car.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Ok. If the price is a good value then why not? Lot of nay Sayers here. I'd have the car checked over. I.E. Boost test, compression, cylinder leak down, Trans slippage, etc and then make a decision. None of what was posted other than what I just said would scare me about buying it. And let's be honest, what could possibly cost so much to fix on that car if it did go bad? You don't buy a high mileage car and not expect some repairs or improvements. Point blank. Lastly:

Old 01-30-2016, 12:49 PM
Teching In

^^^^ that picture/ad. Should have been the only thing posted on this thread. But they have now jacked the price up, and it's no longer quite the steal.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:05 PM
Teching In

e55's are fast but don't handle.
V's handle.
i also would stay away from this one. keep watching & you'll find a killer deal unless you gotta have it now.
there was an 09 with under 100k & no accidents that sold last fall for $23k here locally.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

At 16k it should have been bought. That's a V2 for V1 price. 20k though...nahh. Pass.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a 150k mile 09 CTS-V?