Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

On The Side of the Road: Regular tow truck or Flatbed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default On The Side of the Road: Regular tow truck or Flatbed?

I'm on stock suspension, can the V be towed with a regular tow truck or do I need a flat bed?
Old 02-17-2016, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

****. i hope i never need an answer to this question. when in doubt go flat bed but i really have never needed a tow on this. my 4th gen fbody could be towed with a regular truck though.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Flatbed. No question
Old 02-17-2016, 10:45 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

We call those rollbacks, flatbeds are a little different in my lingo...
Old 02-17-2016, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regular tow truck no problem. They pick it up around the back wheels.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Then the underside of the front bumper cover and air dam are screwed. Especially if you're lowered.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Plenty of roll-backs out there to do the job. I wouldn't use a snatcher. That front bumper cover isn't cheap to replace.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm stock height like he is. There was tons of clearance he didn't lift the back up very high. I followed him to the destination went up and down some dips and no issues at all, the air damn didn't even touch.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Flatbed absolutely, any car.

No reason to put all the weight distributed to the front or rear suspension depending how they tow it.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Called a flat bed. Still needed small ramps so the chin and mufflers would clear. Made it with about 1/2" clearance.

Back story, was driving to work this morning and pulled up to a light about halfway there. Light turned green, I let out the clutch, and I thought to myself that the engagement point felt a little different. Nothing major, can't say I even noticed it at the next 3 or 4 lights. About 5min after that, I decided to detour around some construction traffic, pulled a lat minute audible to make a left turn onto a side street. I pulled out from behind the car in front of me, car left fine, and then suddenly, no power, as if I pushed the clutch pedal in. Barely made the turn across on coming traffic with the momentum I had, parked it, tried 1st and reverse, no clutch. I still had a proper pedal, no noises, could shift through all the gears. I'm assuming the clutch disc is gone, literally. Hope the flywheel wasn't torn up, or beat up with hotspots prior to the failure. Strange, brand new LS7 less than two years ago, maybe 12,000 miles tops, never abused a single time.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I always prefer a rollback and even with my lowered V we managed to get it onto the tow truck using 2x4s for the front wheels.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:32 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Yup, thats how i get my speed bump grindin girl on the back.

Sometimes they come with an experienced operator, but thats on 10% of the time.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I personally would not trust a regular tow truck to tow a skateboard.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Turns out, clutch is fine. Initial estimate is a popped drivers axle. I installed DSS axles with stock CV's last summer. Not sure what exactly is broken, hoping its just the CV as I never abuse the driveline enough to have broken the inner stub or een the axle itself. Not necessarily a cheaper fix, but quicker none the less.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine's been towed twice on a flatbed both times. Once I broke the diff, and once I broke a DSS driver side axle at the inner CV.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gus_Mahn
Mine's been towed twice on a flatbed both times. Once I broke the diff, and once I broke a DSS driver side axle at the inner CV.
Ha, same side, same axle. Did yours break at/near the splined part of the axle?
Old 02-20-2016, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fweasel
Ha, same side, same axle. Did yours break at/near the splined part of the axle?
It broke in the C-clip groove. I used a PDR puller to get the axle end out of the CV.

My car as an '05 needed the passenger side for no hop and that's what I ordered. I left it on the shelf for almost 2 years until the diff blew. After disassembling the passenger axle, I found out it was mis-boxed and had the proper axle for '06-'07. I put it in anyhow, and it didn't even make it a year. I read that some had the clip groove machined too deep on some.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Mahn
It broke in the C-clip groove. I used a PDR puller to get the axle end out of the CV.

My car as an '05 needed the passenger side for no hop and that's what I ordered. I left it on the shelf for almost 2 years until the diff blew. After disassembling the passenger axle, I found out it was mis-boxed and had the proper axle for '06-'07. I put it in anyhow, and it didn't even make it a year. I read that some had the clip groove machined too deep on some.

I had this happen to me awhile ago too with DSS axles. Look at how deep they cut it, on mine it was way to deep causing it to fail. Stock axles, and geforce axles are only cut to the bottom of the splines and not any further.

I know they had to make a bunch of them this way because my initial set failed, and then they sent me a replacement set a year later that had the same condition. They sent me a new version that was suppose to be fixed, but they completely built it up for me so I never checked. I sold those off and went with Geforce. I am just sad that the DSS axles worked great for getting rid of wheel hop for me, while the geforce axles only worked so-so
Old 02-22-2016, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

I just sent DSS an email inquiring about the C-clip groove issue and if it had been addressed. They responded immediately, surprised, as they were not aware of such a failure in quite some time. I explained that mine were new old stock, bought second hand from the original owner who never installed them.

I'm going to send them pictures of my axle and hopefully find the original box in my garage with a shipping date on it somewhere to shed light on their actual age. Aside from the obvious premature failure, these axles, combined with the RevShift bushings, eliminated my wheel hop in a majority of my driving conditions. I would prefer to use them again vs. switching to another brand.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fweasel
I just sent DSS an email inquiring about the C-clip groove issue and if it had been addressed. They responded immediately, surprised, as they were not aware of such a failure in quite some time. I explained that mine were new old stock, bought second hand from the original owner who never installed them.

I'm going to send them pictures of my axle and hopefully find the original box in my garage with a shipping date on it somewhere to shed light on their actual age. Aside from the obvious premature failure, these axles, combined with the RevShift bushings, eliminated my wheel hop in a majority of my driving conditions. I would prefer to use them again vs. switching to another brand.
If its any conciliation, they have been very fair to work with. Hope they step up!

Quick Reply: On The Side of the Road: Regular tow truck or Flatbed?