Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Need help chasing down a noise

Old 08-26-2016, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help chasing down a noise

So I am hearing what was first a not so loud knock noise to the front of the car, near the front left suspension/CA area when I bought this car. It would only happened if I hit a bump or a small pot hole, it sounds like something was loose knocking against something. At first i though it is because the previous owner had the car ridiculously low, but i bought new CA bushings and moog ball joints anyways just because it is nearing the 100k mark. Checked to make sure everything was tight, everything was fairly in good condition, nothing abnormal. So after 3 months or so getting aligned after the bushing install and adjust of the D2 coil overs, the knocking started to get worse and noticed it happened now whether I am steering to full left or full right, along with hitting bumps and pot holes. Its hard to pin point it, but it does sounds like it is coming from the steering rack, but with the column connected, it could just be sending me somewhere false. I went under to see if it was maybe loose, everything is fastened down, pry bar confirmed it for me. Nothing feels loose under the boots and the tie rod ends still feel like they are in great shape. I do have headers installed and its not the column hitting those. It is getting progressively worst as well. My next guess would be the steering assembly, but I was hoping someone else has a clue before i spend the 650 on a new one. Maybe a steering fluid flush? I know that is taboo for some.

EDIT

To add, it does not make the noise with the front end in the air, so it only does it under weight or a load, it did make the noise as I was jacking up the car. Did my best to see and hear where it was coming from, but not a fan to stick anything under a car until its secured.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a similar noise. Sprayed WD-40 on the strut shaft and noise went away.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

If not that, how about the motor mounts? Mine had a similar noise that I thought was suspension, but was actually the motor flopping around. Maybe a long shot, but worth mentioning.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Order new sway bar bushings. Had the same issue and it went away when I put the creative steel polys in. Sounds like a classic case of them going bad, at first it's usually just one side then the other goes and starts making noise as well. Only happens over bumps when it's compressed and knocking around so you will never find it just poking under the car.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
Order new sway bar bushings. Had the same issue and it went away when I put the creative steel polys in. Sounds like a classic case of them going bad, at first it's usually just one side then the other goes and starts making noise as well. Only happens over bumps when it's compressed and knocking around so you will never find it just poking under the car.

I can see that being the case, I went ahead and ordered them just in case. That wouldn't explain the noise happening went turning full left or full right though, I would think anyways. I am going to try and give the power steering a good flush, maybe its more than one issue I am experiencing but sounds the same. I will get my WD Super Soaker out and have it as well. I will take a vid of it next time, maybe the sound will be more helpful.

Thank for the suggestions so far
Old 08-27-2016, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine didn't do it at first when the wheels where straight, they hat to be turned slightly. I would be confident this is the noise you are having, but on the outside chance it's not. It's a cheap part and they are due for replacement I suppose.

What color is your fluid, no system is happy at full lock
Old 08-27-2016, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its a bit on the dark side, I picked up some steering fluid to flush the system, what concerns me, now that I think about it, its sounds like a creaking/knocking. As you turn the wheel to either side, you will get that creaking/knocking sound multiple times. I am hoping it is just trash in the system that I can get out. It could have been the one issue with the sway bar bushings and now this
Old 08-27-2016, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome to the world of v, my front subframe bolts broke and dropped the motor the week after I bought it🙄🔫
Old 08-28-2016, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok so after flushing a quart of power steering fluid, this lovelinees came out, took only 3 more quarts to get it to look clear. then WD-40 every joint I could see and reach.

It helped, but I still have the noise. It was quiet when I first drove it around, but as she warmed up, I could here it as a turned the wheel. Here is the video of me just in the driveway turning the wheel. Its hard to hear over the headers and power steering pump, but its like a creaking popping noise.
Attached Files
Old 08-29-2016, 07:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I will be getting in the sway bar bushings sometime this week, also ordered some moog tie rod ends too just in case. I am hoping just an off chance that will fix it. I will be getting a friend to help me pin point the noise better, maybe from there I can make a discovery or just fold and pay for a new assembly

Last edited by Anthony Toal; 08-29-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:14 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Check the inside of the front wheels, looks for new marks. If there are new marks your endlinks are not adjusted properly. Also go on a bumpy road, if the noise pops up its a bushing, if nothing then lift the car and check all the bolts for the steering
Old 09-06-2016, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok so i changed out the sway bar bushings and replaced the end link withs MOOG, still get the noise when turning the steering wheel. Whats weird though, you wont hear it until the car is warmed up. Which was a day ruiner because I thought that fixed it. Took it around some turns and the noise steadily came back. The pump whines a little, I am wondering if maybe I am starving hydraulic? Such when the oil gets hot and viscosity is loss a little, the the pump is not feeding enough oil to it? Not sure if anyone had that happened before, usually when I have a pump go out, it just dies. Trying to think another route
Old 09-06-2016, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's the power steering system. It has to be. GM didn't do any favors with any part of the system in these cars. They'll turn fresh fluid poop brown faster than my 17 month old can. Watch your fresh batch and how fast it happens. It's unreal. Rebuilt racks go in cars with much less than 100k. That's absurd to me.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea I checked the oil this morning, so far good, but that is probably because I haven't even put 50 miles on it since the flush, worried that the worse may happen when I take her out, but a lot of it has to do with the oil itself and the pressure variances and heat it sees. I plan on doing another flush, this time with flush chemicals, because it will only get that dirty that quick with what is still in the system. If it comes down to it, it is easy to add a cheese cloth filter from the return. Looking at this

I see that maybe the inner rods are serviceable? I pulled the boot off, nothing looked damage, nor yanking, pushing and twisting revealed any slack. Also I see that there are 3 mounting points? I might have missed one that I am not aware off, it be so nice if i just broke a bolt somewhere. That picture may not represent the Vs version if it is any different. GM Direct shows the same picture.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does anyone know the proper torque spec for the pinch bolt on the knuckle to the upper control arm ball joint? I am thinking that they are to tight and could be causing that noise. Search shows from 15 ft lbs to 55 ft lbs
Old 09-07-2016, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Anthony Toal
Does anyone know the proper torque spec for the pinch bolt on the knuckle to the upper control arm ball joint? I am thinking that they are to tight and could be causing that noise. Search shows from 15 ft lbs to 55 ft lbs
44 lb ft according to GM's manual:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/fg2/p3.jpg
Old 09-07-2016, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Toal
This is typical GM. It means tighten it 1/4 turn past "unnh."
Old 09-12-2016, 07:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thnx for the info everyone. So I found the problem of that creaking noise. It ended up being on of the lower control arm bushings. I found out by taking everything off one by one and jacking that side up. It had a dry spot between the bushing flange and the washer and no matter how much grease I put into it, I couldn't get it so stop. So after talking with Creative Steel and making sure cutting a groove to help promote grease flow wouldn't do any harm, I cut a small groove on the outside of the core, only halfway from the grease hole to one of the outsides. So when you install it, the groove travels to the flange of the bushing. So heads up if someone is about to install Creative Steels CA Bushing. The other problem is I am still hearing a metal to metal contact when hitting small bumps. I already got new sway bar bushings in, it might be the tires to, they are a little worn out up front, not entirely to sure. I talked with the previous owner and he said he had that issue and that is why he swapped for the D2 coilovers, thinking it was a bad strut, but that didn't fix it. I noticed to that there are tapered holes for bolts to hold the rotor to the hub, I don't think this is my problem, but would like to get that fixed asap. Getting close to getting this car right... just so many knick knacks
Old 09-16-2016, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

So I think I got the popping noise figured out. My driver UCA Moog ball joint feels considerably loose compared to the passenger UCA ball joint. Surprised, never had an issue of one wearing out after 4 months or so. Hopefully their warranty program isn't a headache. So I think the original owner had issues with the sway bar bushings, and when I changed the ball joints and bushings, one of the bushings went completely dry and the Driver UCA Ball joint went bad on me. So hopefully I get this ball joint fixed, everything will be good. Hell, the steering on this now is sooooooo nice after the tie rod replacements and power steering flush. Some new tires today and another alignment Sunday and I will be set to order the 8.8, get the tranny rebuilt and throw this engine in!
Old 09-23-2016, 11:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your UCA is buggered from balljoint replacement, you may as well get a new one. The Mevotechs are pretty nice pieces and <$70 each.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help chasing down a noise