Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V1 + awd + 2 door = success!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rjoffe
Can we get a live web cam
Old 01-07-2017, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EastTnZ28
These cars are super rigid. I thought my garage floor was pretty level til I put it up on 4 jack stands and it would rock without some thin shims. Only thing I can say about your build is, Im subscribing, awesome and geeslus.
I was also surprised by this. Had mine up on 4 stands in the driveway and was on my back underneath wrenching on some jacked up exhaust bolts and didn't realize I had kinda rocked the car "up" in the corner I was under. When the bolt finally broke loose, I got to see the car rock back down toward my face...3 inches above my face. For a split second I thought I was about to be crushed.

Every other vehicle I've had before would always flex enough to make up the difference..And then some.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercier
I was also surprised by this. Had mine up on 4 stands in the driveway and was on my back underneath wrenching on some jacked up exhaust bolts and didn't realize I had kinda rocked the car "up" in the corner I was under. When the bolt finally broke loose, I got to see the car rock back down toward my face...3 inches above my face. For a split second I thought I was about to be crushed.

Every other vehicle I've had before would always flex enough to make up the difference..And then some.

Damn! I would have been shitting bricks if it started leaning toward my face, glad nothing happened to you.

Although it's rigid now, I'm going to weld supports to keep its shape before I cut the B pillar, cut the roof and the car in half lol.

Unfortunately, I'll be finishing up another car I'm working for the next week or two. If anyone here has ever worked on a 300zx, you'll know how much of a pain in the *** this car is to work on.

After that car is done, I won't be taking on anymore side jobs so all my time and effort will go towards this car.

Stay tuned!
Old 01-08-2017, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait!!!
Old 01-09-2017, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

I actually noticed this with my yesterday when I had it up on 4 jack stands in my garage--a fairly flat surface. I even counted the notches in the jack stands just to make sure I had them set at the same height. But the DS rear stand was still 1/8" below the lip it would have been resting on.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most of the new unibody platforms are surprisingly ridged. Even more so on the zeta platform. I remember jacking up the rear drivers side of my Camaro and had a no **** moment when I realized the back end was off the ground and pretty much level
Old 01-11-2017, 03:25 AM
Launching!

side question for you would you happen to have the V cross member?
if so could you possible check if the V cross member would bolt into a cts?
Old 01-11-2017, 04:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hopefully you'll finish this because GM needs to see what their coupe should have looked like.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
Hopefully you'll finish this because GM needs to see what their coupe should have looked like.
No ****. Usually things with power and cool factor grow on me over time but...we're into the 6th or 7th year. Whether I needed the extra doors or not, I would insist on a sedan V2 just on looks alone.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

No ****. Usually things with power and cool factor grow on me over time but...we're into the 6th or 7th year. Whether I needed the extra doors or not, I would insist on a sedan V2 just on looks alone.
Interesting.

after looking at the coupes and the sedans for the past few years, i like the coupe, but it really is less practical enough that if i were in the market i would end up with a vette
Old 01-12-2017, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PLA TME
Interesting.

after looking at the coupes and the sedans for the past few years, i like the coupe, but it really is less practical enough that if i were in the market i would end up with a vette
Yeah; good point. Might as well get the 1000lb weight savings at that point.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:29 AM
Launching!

Yeah; good point. Might as well get the 1000lb weight savings at that point.
but you dont get the back seat though, which for me is the only reason i dont own a vette, i like to dd my car and I have kids.

we do have a family car but I like driving my car everywhere i go and my kids like riding in it

but when it comes to ctsv though i havent decided if i would go coupe or not. To me the V isnt really a sports car so its not an automatic coupe type purchase. When the time comes for me to purchase one ill decided then.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS325ci
but you dont get the back seat though, which for me is the only reason i dont own a vette, i like to dd my car and I have kids.

we do have a family car but I like driving my car everywhere i go and my kids like riding in it

but when it comes to ctsv though i havent decided if i would go coupe or not. To me the V isnt really a sports car so its not an automatic coupe type purchase. When the time comes for me to purchase one ill decided then.
No disagreement here. So far I am not kid-motivated but it is probably coming soon. I like the sleeper aspect of a 6MT sedan and also(didn't mention before) don't like he visibility driving a Vette. I strongly prefer the upright, see-everytbing driver experience of a car with big glass. My $0.02. YMMV.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

Sub'd

Sounds like an amazing project. Wish I had the know-how. Or the space. Or the tools. FML
Old 01-15-2017, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Any updates?
Old 01-18-2017, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

after seeing the photoshop in the first post, the CTS-V should have been a two door. that thing looks pretty slick.

I'm in this for the finished product.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

The new ATS coupe says that someone at Cadillac agrees with this concept and is doing it right. Much better looking than the gen2 CTS coupe IMHO.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmilz28
The new ATS coupe says that someone at Cadillac agrees with this concept and is doing it right. Much better looking than the gen2 CTS coupe IMHO.
I strongly agree. It says to me more like "gentleman that still wants to have a little fun" whereas the V2 coupe seemed to scream at me "out of my way; I am a dick of a kid with the gentleman's money." I lament the smaller size of the ATS but I am relatively tall and getting kinda fat in my old age..and I must admit, I've rarely been called a gentleman. And I am sure only sardonically.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey everyone sorry for the delay! ..no updates on the car yet, because I've been slaving away at the 300zx. Motor/tranny is finally back in and all wiring/plumbing done...Saturday I'll put the radiator and all fluids and get it running (hopefully it starts on first crank). Once the car is running, ill pull it aside and finally get to work on the 2door V.

I need a name for the car, any suggestions? Lol

So yea, next week! More cutting and insanity!
Old 01-18-2017, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

The artist formerly known as sedan.
The Coupinator
The Coupster.
Coop.
Project SOTGOC (star of two girls, one coupe[.com?])

Quick Reply: V1 + awd + 2 door = success!