Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Anything else I should do, "while I'm in there?"

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Yeah, I've seen that and understand it "shouldn't" affect things on our internally balanced LS engines. One issue is that the fluidampr is heavier by some amount. So we've increased the weight on the front of the crank by more than what GM powertrain designed for. Just the flywheel difference from the dual mass of 45lbs (again from memory) to 28lbs translates to 37% less weight on the back of the crank. I can say for sure that when you hang things off a crank on an airplane (P51s) even internally balanced ones, you change the balance. No reason this shouldn't hold true in cars too. So installing the LS7 kit has cut the weight significantly off the back. I guess it goes to why GM used this POS on our car to start with, when LS6 vettes didn't...? Sometimes there is just variance from what the text books say, which may be why some have problems/vibes while many don't.

Regardless, trying to solve this problem and hate to think the dual mass POS is my only option to do so.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Yeah, I've seen that and understand it "shouldn't" affect things on our internally balanced LS engines. One issue is that the fluidampr is heavier by some amount. So we've increased the weight on the front of the crank by more than what GM powertrain designed for. Just the flywheel difference from the dual mass of 45lbs (again from memory) to 28lbs translates to 37% less weight on the back of the crank. I can say for sure that when you hang things off a crank on an airplane (P51s) even internally balanced ones, you change the balance. No reason this shouldn't hold true in cars too. So installing the LS7 kit has cut the weight significantly off the back. I guess it goes to why GM used this POS on our car to start with, when LS6 vettes didn't...? Sometimes there is just variance from what the text books say, which may be why some have problems/vibes while many don't.

Regardless, trying to solve this problem and hate to think the dual mass POS is my only option to do so.
agreed to some extent, but you looking at the crank like it is a teeter tot (static), also, our cars dont need to be aero balance or even hydro balanced like planes or submarines do, because they have to worry about trim and list from the distributed weight and that is where the teeter tot comes into play, with that crazy level of engineering. If the dampener and flywheel is balanced, your crank wont really see the mass when running, so unless either one is unbalanced, it will be a smooth operation. My recommendation is to check the guys work, mistakes happen. I still think they put the dual mass in the V is because of creature comforts, besides a quiet drive line that behaves predictably, I do not see any performance or monetary gain from having a larger mass flywheel. I hope it is something simple, like the guy dropped his piece of gum on your flywheel or something
Old 04-17-2017, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

I hear ya, I know the theory says this should all be smooth.

Yeah, I keep coming back to checking the work too. Just hate to pay again to do it, about as much as I'd hate to wrestle that trans in my driveway on jackstands. Mistakes certainly do happen, they managed to boff my tick adapter line and just used the one that came on the LS7 slave. Speedbleeder came out OK though. Ugh...mod hell. Just pisses me off that I had an LS7 clutch behind a stock LS1 and a cammed LS3 and it was all buttery. Why all the FUBAR **** behind our LS6s?
Old 04-17-2017, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

know someone with a motorcycle jack? It sucks i know, part of the reason why I dont go to a shop, so I can only blame myself and punish myself with beers. I might be doing a bike run to houston sometime next month, if you still need it, im pretty sure some beers will get you some bikers help of throwing that tranny in and out
Old 04-18-2017, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Harbor Freight also has some inexpensive transmission jacks:
http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ion-jacks.html

Quick Reply: Anything else I should do, "while I'm in there?"