Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What is the normal battery draw?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSvOH
Here we go.. I unhooked the alternator, the draw went away. Did the diode test from the video Anthony Toal posted. The alternator pasted. Connected the power wire back to the alternator and there is no draw. I disconnected my multimeter, plugged the pig tail back into the alternator, run the test again, there's a draw. I disconnect the pig tail, draw is still there. I unhook the multimeter. Wait a few minutes for the system to shut off. Run the test again, this time only the power wire is connect in the back, I am still getting a draw. I disconnect the multimeter, disconnect the power wire in the back, run the test, no draw. Ok connect the power wire back, run the test, no draw, so I connect the pig tail back while the test is running, no draw. I also ran the test with power disconnect from the alt. but the pig tail still plugged in and there was no draw. WTF is going on? Every time I do something different I get a different result. One thing is for sure though, If the alternator is disconnected from the battery, there is no draw.
Okay, first what equipment are you using (Fluke, Knight, Southwire, etc) and how are you reading the draw with it? From what you shared so far, it may seem that a hot wiring is either shorting or grounding. Next thing you can do is Ohm the lug on the alternator to housing of the alternator, you may be experiencing a float.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Anthony Toal
Okay, first what equipment are you using (Fluke, Knight, Southwire, etc) and how are you reading the draw with it? From what you shared so far, it may seem that a hot wiring is either shorting or grounding. Next thing you can do is Ohm the lug on the alternator to housing of the alternator, you may be experiencing a float.
I am using a craftsmans multimeter. I am using the 10a setting and connecting one end to the negative terminal of battery and the other to negative battery cable. How do I ohm the lug on the alternator?
Old 04-04-2017, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Okay, so just to confirm, you are putting the probes in series with the cable and the battery? Such that battery cable <---- probe <---- DMM ----> Probe ----> Battery terminal. Also, I would use the positive side, electrons actually work backwards then what everyone thinks, the whole negative charge argument and how it should be laid out, though your value shouldnt change if the draw is there. The other problem using the negative side is that if you do have a short, the grounds can act as a float and give you a weird reading. This is all through my own experience, so take it with a grain of salt.

The lug on the alternator is where you connect the power wire to, sorry, but that what I call them, lugs. Take positive probe (red) to the lug, with power wire disconnected, and then the com probe (black) to the housing of the alternator. You may have to spin the alternator some, you should get OL or 0ohms. What I am trying to confirm is if you have a bad winding and it is brushing up against something it shouldn't and that could be why every time you did your test you did or didn't have a draw, although if the diode is good, the alternator shouldnt be in play period, one of the wires could either be shorting or grounding and you plugging and unplugging them can make that change. Time to do the wiggle test! Your next bet is just get another alternator and slap it on their and see what happens, if nothing changes, return it and start over.

Last edited by Anthony Toal; 04-04-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Anthony Toal
Okay, so just to confirm, you are putting the probes in series with the cable and the battery? Such that battery cable <---- probe <---- DMM ----> Probe ----> Battery terminal. Also, I would use the positive side, electrons actually work backwards then what everyone thinks, the whole negative charge argument and how it should be laid out, though your value shouldnt change if the draw is there. The other problem using the negative side is that if you do have a short, the grounds can act as a float and give you a weird reading. This is all through my own experience, so take it with a grain of salt.

The lug on the alternator is where you connect the power wire to, sorry, but that what I call them, lugs. Take positive probe (red) to the lug, with power wire disconnected, and then the com probe (black) to the housing of the alternator. You may have to spin the alternator some, you should get OL or 0ohms. What I am trying to confirm is if you have a bad winding and it is brushing up against something it shouldn't and that could be why every time you did your test you did or didn't have a draw, although if the diode is good, the alternator shouldnt be in play period, one of the wires could either be shorting or grounding and you plugging and unplugging them can make that change. Time to do the wiggle test! Your next bet is just get another alternator and slap it on their and see what happens, if nothing changes, return it and start over.
I am making my connections just as you described. I will try using the positive side of the battery and see what happens with that. I have been wiggling the power wire around and it hasn't had any effect. I wonder if I take the alternator to a parts store and have them test it if it will show anything?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am making my connections just as you described. I will try using the positive side of the battery and see what happens with that. I have been wiggling the power wire around and it hasn't had any effect. I wonder if I take the alternator to a parts store and have them test it if it will show anything?
it is possible, typical symptoms of bad windings is low output voltage, not working or even over heating. I have even seen a light show, real bad case.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm pretty sure the car's brains wake up off and on throughout the first little bot the car has been turned off. I wonder if it also happens when you reconnect the battery. This is a tough thing to troubleshoot on a car like this. I sent my Lincoln Mark VII to auction for something similar and that would've been way easier to find I bet.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well first thought is a connection issue with due inside re alternator of the lead on the harness. Sounds like a new alternator is in your future. Or just always park on an incline but that's mildly inconvenient
Old 04-04-2017, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by isis
I'm pretty sure the car's brains wake up off and on throughout the first little bot the car has been turned off. I wonder if it also happens when you reconnect the battery. This is a tough thing to troubleshoot on a car like this. I sent my Lincoln Mark VII to auction for something similar and that would've been way easier to find I bet.
As soon as the battery is connected the car "wakes up" for a few seconds then goes back to "sleep".

I did the parasitic draw test using the positive terminal on the battery this time. The draw was the same, still getting getting a draw when the alternator is connected and then the draw goes away when it's not. I didn't bother trying to trouble shoot it any further. Now I am just waiting on Rockauto.com to accept my warranty exchange. When I get the new alternator I'll let you guys know if that fixes the problem.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it a gm one? If not there is your problem
Old 04-04-2017, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
Is it a gm one? If not there is your problem
ACDelco
Old 04-05-2017, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sssnake View Post
I cannot swear this is true for the 04 and 05 Vs but I know it is true for the 06 and 07 Vs... the alt needs a PWM signal to the alt to control the charging. Jumpering to a battery hot will likely cause over charging which will kill your battery.
I'm not sure what will happen. I'll keep you posted if my battery dies from this. If it does hopefully it will still be under warranty. I was getting really tired of the Battery Not Charging popping up on my screen.
From your other thread.^^^^^

I still believe that alt needs a PWM signal NOT a battery hot. Connecting like you did would very likely cause the parasitic draw you have now. Also, once you put in the new alt you will likely get a similar result. Now the alt may be bad but the symptoms you are now describing are exactly what I would expect (along with a few others) by using the "fix" you implemented.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sssnake
From your other thread.^^^^^

I still believe that alt needs a PWM signal NOT a battery hot. Connecting like you did would very likely cause the parasitic draw you have now. Also, once you put in the new alt you will likely get a similar result. Now the alt may be bad but the symptoms you are now describing are exactly what I would expect (along with a few others) by using the "fix" you implemented.
I did away with that wire. I am thinking that was probably the cause of my problem since the parasitic draw happened shortly after I added that wire.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I did away with that wire. I am thinking that was probably the cause of my problem since the parasitic draw happened shortly after I added that wire.
Yes, you need a control signal. On my Mechman alternator, I opted for their AVBM II voltage controller, which allow you to adjust the desired output voltage through the same type of 4-pin connector.

Great catch, sssnake.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Yes, you need a control signal. On my Mechman alternator, I opted for their AVBM II voltage controller, which allow you to adjust the desired output voltage through the same type of 4-pin connector.

Great catch, sssnake.
Man this car has had electrical issues since I bought. Slowly and painstakingly I am knocking them out. It's probably one the reasons the person that had it before me let it go.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Man this car has had electrical issues since I bought. Slowly and painstakingly I am knocking them out. It's probably one the reasons the person that had it before me let it go.
To be fair to the V1, any modern domestic or import car will have electrical problems if the alternator control signal is interrupted.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I vote for a one wire!! Lol
Old 04-11-2017, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

My is at Lindsay now to troubleshoot something else, and I asked them to locate the parasitic draw (it would kill the battery in a day if I didn't drive it). They found 2 loads - headlight washers relay and Onstar module - creating a 300ma draw. I don't use either of those, so I told 'em to just leave those disconnected. With those disconnected, it's down to a 13ma draw.

Hindsight being 20/20, wish I had thought to pull the relays/fuses for stuff I never use, on the off chance those components were the source(s) of the parasitic draw - I could've ruled some **** out without impacting my use of the car at all.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
My is at Lindsay now to troubleshoot something else, and I asked them to locate the parasitic draw (it would kill the battery in a day if I didn't drive it). They found 2 loads - headlight washers relay and Onstar module - creating a 300ma draw. I don't use either of those, so I told 'em to just leave those disconnected. With those disconnected, it's down to a 13ma draw.

Hindsight being 20/20, wish I had thought to pull the relays/fuses for stuff I never use, on the off chance those components were the source(s) of the parasitic draw - I could've ruled some **** out without impacting my use of the car at all.
I can see Onstar pulling a load, but why the headlight washer? seems odd to why it would pull a load unless it is used
Old 04-11-2017, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I agree, it seems weird, but it was also pretty small. The total draw was 300ma, and 270ma of that was from the Onstar module.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

My headlight washer weren't working until I replace the fuse. Though the fuse that I took out still works fine. Anyway, I am still waiting on my alternator to be replaced under warranty and of course they're out of stock at the moment.

Quick Reply: What is the normal battery draw?