Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

TPMS relearn procedure doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default TPMS relearn procedure doesn't work

Key on, hold remote buttons, no horn beep. I've done it a hundred times before. Are my sensors dead? The car has been sitting for a while. The battery did go dead at one point but it's been on a tender since mid last summer. I had to do the relearn for the windows and sunroof after it was charged back up. Is there something I need to do regarding the TPMS system too? I couldn't find much with the search, apologies if I missed something.

It shows pressure numbers on the dash display but they may be from the other wheels sitting by the car. They don't change or disappear when I go driving but I haven't gone far or for very long.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Key all the way on? Or just in acc detente?

It took me a couple tries last time I did it. I don't remember if it beeped or not to start - I may have just moved on to the tires and gotten horn beeps after trying the first one?

You do have to change pressure in tires by about 5-10 psi to get the sensors to activate, or drive over 20 mph. . .
Old 04-06-2017, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a dead sensor and it will beep and enter the learn mode but when you get to that wheel you could let it go flat and nothing will happen
Old 04-06-2017, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

key all the way on. Just never beeps. It definitely would before. Pretty sure it beeps twice to start then once after each tire and then four times after the last tire. Like I said I've done it plenty of times before. It just won't even start the sequence this time. I'll try again in a couple days but I figured I'd see if someone else had this gremlin.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:51 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Does the remote work?

Lock
Unlock

Parkin brake engaged?

Key ignition on engine off
Old 04-06-2017, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by isis
Key on, hold remote buttons, no horn beep. I've done it a hundred times before. Are my sensors dead? The car has been sitting for a while. The battery did go dead at one point but it's been on a tender since mid last summer. I had to do the relearn for the windows and sunroof after it was charged back up. Is there something I need to do regarding the TPMS system too? I couldn't find much with the search, apologies if I missed something.

It shows pressure numbers on the dash display but they may be from the other wheels sitting by the car. They don't change or disappear when I go driving but I haven't gone far or for very long.
Is your e-brake on? that was my issue...
Old 04-06-2017, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Naf
Does the remote work?

Lock
Unlock

Parkin brake engaged?

Key ignition on engine off
Yep to all of that.

Originally Posted by docdrey
Is your e-brake on? that was my issue...
Yeah I thought I nailed it when I realized it wasn't. Still didn't work.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

are you trying to program in the same area as the other tires? I'd recommend going to nearest gas station that has free air to do re-learn (if not already).

have a new battery for remote? Is remote programmed to pre-set one or two, and are you using same pre-set?

Just trying to think of things that may affect since it's remote based.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crazy tarzan
are you trying to program in the same area as the other tires? I'd recommend going to nearest gas station that has free air to do re-learn (if not already).

have a new battery for remote? Is remote programmed to pre-set one or two, and are you using same pre-set?

Just trying to think of things that may affect since it's remote based.
I was a few miles away in a parking lot.

Same remote i always have used #1.

It does everything else its supposed to do, but it isn't a new battery, in fact it's probably pretty old. That's a good idea I'll start with a fresh one next time I get it out. If it's low then maybe pushing two buttons drops the voltage below what it can be and still transmit properly.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gotta chalk this one up under gremlin. I just got it to work in my garage, right next to the stack of other wheels without changing the battery in the remote. In fact I measured the voltage on the battery at 3.27 which is just fine for a lithium coin.

Fyi, it beeps once when it goes into relearn mode then once after the first 3 tires and twice after the fourth. I guess my problem was that I had just been driving and tried a couple times without the ebrake and then when I figured that out the car was just sick of my ****. Not the first time.

thanks for the brainstorming help.

Quick Reply: TPMS relearn procedure doesn't work