Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Looking for Oil Pump Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Looking for Oil Pump Recommendation

Planning a cam install and while I'm in there... going to replace the oil pump. Questions I have is which you recommend? I have done some research, and most either go Melling 10295 Standard Volume (SV)/High Pressure or 10296 HV/HP, Melling SV/SP or ported and blueprinted stock pump. I found a few threads where people were commenting that the HV pump could run the pump dry in prolonged racing (either at the big end of the 1/4, or in 1/2 mile racing) due to the stock pan not having a ton of volume. It seemed like this was hearsay secondhand information, but have any of you had that happen? Looking for some advice or opinions. Engine is a 120K mile LS2. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-2017, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running an ls6 ported pump here
Old 04-08-2017, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Melling 10296 high volume Melling 10296 high volume
. That'll be the oil pump on my next motor.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:50 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Katech oil pump.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Naf
Katech oil pump.
That's a good choice too. Naf's recommendation and my recommendation represent the two most popular and well-tested options for your motor. I have a Katech ported LS6 pump in my LS2 right now. It's a noticable upgrade over stock, at least in terms of oil pressure (I can't measure flow).

With the standard pressure spring and a 1.0mm shim (small washer), the oil pressure is ridiculous. I need to remove the shim because I'm wasting power pumping. Previously, I was getting 34 PSI during hot idle conditions (~172°F, 850 RPM) with 10W-30 AMSOIL Dominator oil. With the Katech ported pump, I'm seeing 58 PSI during hot/idle (same temp/RPM) with thinner 0W-30 Signature Series oil. After I remove the shim, I expect my oil pressure will be 46-52 psi hot/idle, because the pump is flowing more than stock.

The reason why the Katech option is a little more expensive is because they're taking the OEM part and trying to bring it up to the level of the Melling aftermarket pump. As to the question of why Katech is still selling it, my guess is that it's because it takes a decade for forumites to stop passing outdated information around. If you investigate both options, you'll find information that should give you a better idea of the differences. Supposedly, both pumps outflow the pressure relief at higher RPMs, but the flow from the OEM design (which the Katech pumps are based on) falls off a cliff at high RPM due to cavitation and insufficient scavenge capability.

By the way, if you see anything older than 2011 timeframe, ignore it. Both vendors changed what they were doing that year. The 2011+ iterations of both products flow more the pre-2011 products. My Katech oil pump is the pre-2011 version (KAT-A2390).

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 04-09-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

What's the source of that graph? Is that Melling's advertising, or IR's independent testing? I'd be more inclined to trust it if it's the latter.

I, too, have a Katech pump, but I would've purchased mine in late 2011 (pretty sure), so I assume I've got the "new" version. I will probably be dropping the pan at some point this year to do the IR oil pan baffle and crank scraper, so that would be an opportunity to swap out the pump, too.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
What's the source of that graph? Is that Melling's advertising, or IR's independent testing? I'd be more inclined to trust it if it's the latter.

I, too, have a Katech pump, but I would've purchased mine in late 2011 (pretty sure), so I assume I've got the "new" version. I will probably be dropping the pan at some point this year to do the IR oil pan baffle and crank scraper, so that would be an opportunity to swap out the pump, too.
It's probably Melling, but I've never been able to pinpoint the source. However, the flow values are largely corroborated by the following plot from Katech:

On this plot, the black line is the stock LS7 oil pump and the blue line is the $740 high capacity scavenge oil pump. The cavitation RPM is different because the LS7 pump design is different. However, you can clearly see that the same GM design methodology is being used.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 04-09-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Was in the parts section a minute ago and remembered this post. Hope this helps your decision.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...-oil-pump.html

Derek

Quick Reply: Looking for Oil Pump Recommendation