Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Driveshaft fiasco continues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Driveshaft fiasco continues?

Dorman shaft appears too short. Even fully extended, once installed, it distorts the flex disc. My thinking is this will both remove driveline clunk, likely cause trans and/or diff bearing wear, and possibly cause vibrations. Any thoughts?
Old 05-06-2017, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In theory, it's going to vibrate and eventually destroy the flex disc. In practice, who knows. If it's in the car, may as well try it....
Old 05-06-2017, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I've got a new one and the old one is still pretty good shape. Not worried about the disc, mainly the big expensive bits.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Talked to voodoo, he said NOT to run the part fully stretch as it will ruin the CV joints. Have requested a refund from Rockauto. What I didn't mess up somehow, Murphy is finishing up...in my a**. LOL!
Old 05-06-2017, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Is it possible that with the car on the ground the distance between the trans output and differential input would shrink a little? i.e. could being on jackstands for two weeks cause the distance to creep open a bit? Seems unlikely the trans would move, especially with CS motor and tranny mounts but I wonder about the diff...

Last edited by jmilz28; 05-06-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the axles that pivot the diff is bolted in place to the subframe. While bushings may flex under load they don't have the kind of travel you would need to have that shaft work
Old 05-07-2017, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

Any way to shim it or make an adapter like CS uses to make the shaft an acceptable length?

With out pics and dimensions it's hard to say from a computer screen.

-Byron
Old 05-07-2017, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Well, with the two CVs and both having plunge, it's a chore to get measurements. The one I got is about an inch short. I didn't figure there was a problem until I got it in, stretched it, then just snugged the bolts on both ends. It stretched the shaft enough that it distorted the flex disc, and this is before I even tried to torque it. Every video I checked on a vehicle with a Guibo shows them being flat installed, this looked like a bit of a pringle once snugged. So out it came...and I proceeded to attempt measurements of the new part and the old part...which is in two pieces.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

I will say, our OEM shafts look a LOT like the Cayenne shafts, assuming this is correct: http://coloradodriveshaft.com/porsche_cayenne.htm

I suppose at this point, I may look into calling these guys and see if they will rebuild mine. If yes, will they use my (voodoo) carrier bushing. What a huge win that would be. Long way to go for a balance but oh well.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nevermind. Saw it was shortened for an 8.8
Old 05-08-2017, 01:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Main different between Touareg and V1 prop shaft is the length, you can see, but also different spline and diameter on the rear cv-joint at inlet flange from the diff, you can only swap the outer part, not the inner...

Greetz
Ron
Old 05-08-2017, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Well, with the two CVs and both having plunge, it's a chore to get measurements. The one I got is about an inch short. I didn't figure there was a problem until I got it in, stretched it, then just snugged the bolts on both ends. It stretched the shaft enough that it distorted the flex disc, and this is before I even tried to torque it.
So I take it you didn't even get to the point of bolting the carrier bearing in place? I'm just trying to visualize here - the CVs are both in the back half of the shaft, so all the play in the length is back there. You should be able to bolt up the carrier bearing (without the rear being bolted to the pinion flange) and not have any "pringling" of the flex disk. Or is it the front half that's too short?

I have an intact driveshaft on hand, so I can take measurements on that. I could get a good measurement of the front flange to carrier bearing (which should be a set distance), so that would at least tell you if that part is right on the Dorman unit.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
So I take it you didn't even get to the point of bolting the carrier bearing in place? I'm just trying to visualize here - the CVs are both in the back half of the shaft, so all the play in the length is back there. You should be able to bolt up the carrier bearing (without the rear being bolted to the pinion flange) and not have any "pringling" of the flex disk. Or is it the front half that's too short?
I got the initial impression just the front part of the shaft was short but if you can't even make the carrier bearing mount, you're way short.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

I could mount the carrier, though there is some play there in the carrier bracket holes. I left the carrier not quite finger tight to hold the shaft from falling on my face and alternated tightening rear, then front, then rear, then front, not in any hurry. Once I snugged the front down, the GUIBO pringled noticeably, before even torquing, so I didn't. Only snugged the carrier after the fact. Once all snugged, the GUIBO was pringled and there was NO fore/aft play and only nominal side to side play, comparable to when the shaft with voodoo's carrier was installed. It was TIGHT, tighter I think than a new one should be. I pushed and pulled and stared at this thing for a long time, even talked to Matt and he said DON'T run it like that as it would nuke the CVs in short order.

Rockauto worked on my return and processed it this morning after corresponding over the weekend, wanting a full story, pics and all. All very professional.

So now I have to figure out what to do next. New GMshaft? $800 from GMpartsdirect. Used CF one piece? Was considering offering the same 800 for it but I would just **** if it gave me vibration issues. Try to DIY Voodoo ANOTHER used shaft? I'd do it for $100 but after the second one having the star suck on the race, I'm a little gun shy. Going to call Colorado Driveshaft and see what they can do and go from there.

I would be grateful for some measurements AAIIIC. I suppose it's possible I'm doing something wrong on the install, but I can't imagine what. The Dorman piece is clearly shorter, every time I measure.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmilz28
So now I have to figure out what to do next. New GMshaft? $800 from GMpartsdirect.

Pricey, and it would come with the same flimsy rubber carrier support.

Used CF one piece? Was considering offering the same 800 for it but I would just **** if it gave me vibration issues.

That's a significant risk considering their resonant characteristics and twist is another consideration. I'm also curious how much it could contribute to wheel hop when they untwist.

Try to DIY Voodoo ANOTHER used shaft? I'd do it for $100 but after the second one having the star suck on the race, I'm a little gun shy.

Why not just send him a shaft at this point?
See Bold
Old 05-08-2017, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Agreed on all, Bud.

Hindsight being what it is, I should have done that third option on my original known good part. I would want him to feel good about taking this on, given how both I and Murphy have screwed me, not him - and that wouldn't work now. Matt doesn't do balancing and my salvage yard shaft is probably good but probably isn't good enough at this point. I would sh*t if he worked the latest one over and it was bent or something from the rollover. I couldn't hang that one on him at all. I have also called and emailed Colorado driveshaft to see what they can do. It really comes down to balancing (I hope). I have my OEM shaft which was together and now isn't, but needs correct assembly and a balance. I also have this junkyard piece which is correctly indexed but has the star frozen on the race which is why IT came apart. I am crying uncle on DIY driveshafting...probably. I need this back in there and to be right, car has been down for six weeks plus AFTER going over budget.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Measuring from the front edge (closest to the tranny) of the driveshaft input flange to the front edge of the carrier bearing:

I also measured from the rear edge of the carrier bearing to the rear of the domed rear CV cover, while fully compressing both CVs. That came to ~35.5" (so would've been 36" prior to shortening the driveshaft). That's a rougher measurement, as it was hard to hold things in position and get my eye lined up to read the tape measure without too much parallax. For the same reason I wasn't able to get a measurement while trying to stretch the CVs to max length - it was just too hard to hold everything and get a reliable measurement.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks brother. I got the measurement you did, actually 24" on dead center of the carrier, so maybe 1/4" difference. Both my old shaft and the Dorman were the same there. Like you said, it was a BITCH getting the rear section measured. I measured a dozen times with both CVs in a "neutral" position, but got slightly different measurements each time. I did what you did and tried the fully stretched method and the fully squished method...I think I got a new hernia trying that ****. I then measured the plunge of each CV, and the OEM ones had a solid inch of total plunge each, the Dorman ones consistently less, about 3/8" each. The delta would put it about 3/4" shorter, which SEEMS to line up with what I saw when on the car.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Measuring from the front edge (closest to the tranny) of the driveshaft input flange to the front edge of the carrier bearing:

I also measured from the rear edge of the carrier bearing to the rear of the domed rear CV cover, while fully compressing both CVs. That came to ~35.5" (so would've been 36" prior to shortening the driveshaft). That's a rougher measurement, as it was hard to hold things in position and get my eye lined up to read the tape measure without too much parallax. For the same reason I wasn't able to get a measurement while trying to stretch the CVs to max length - it was just too hard to hold everything and get a reliable measurement.

The correct length of the complete shaft assembly is 60.5"?

Any chance you can verify that measurement?

-Byron
Old 06-01-2017, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

I can get close. I know from memory the 24" to the carrier is right. Will have to go back and try the rear length again, the plunge in both CVs makes that a 2 person deal. Are you asking for the OEM shaft length or the Dorman? I already returned the Dorman unit.

Last edited by jmilz28; 06-01-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft fiasco continues?