Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Overclocked steering wheel...what did i break?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overclocked steering wheel...what did i break?

I pulled the steering shaft off during my engine swap, and am pretty sure in the process of putting it back, the steering wheel got turned much more than it should have. Now the left buttons on the steering wheel have no function, and the cruise control, while it powers on, does not set.

My question is what did I break, and what is the potential fix for this?

I read over on the Cadillac forum about a clock spring? But from my understanding we do not have analog clocks on the V's...

Any help is appreciated
Old 06-01-2017, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Clock spring is located in the steering shaft, it's used to measure the degrees off center that the steering wheel is turned.

Not sure how that's accomplished in the V's. I've only ever taken apart air-cooled vw steering stuff.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The clock spring assembly provides connectivity between the PCM and all steering wheel buttons and sensors.

When you break the clock spring, expect most (if not all) steering wheel functions (including the airbag) to stop working.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Yea pretty sure I broke the clock spring at this point. My airbag service light is on, none of the buttons on the steering wheel work either. I think I heard there was a DIY on how to replace this, is it on this forum or the Cadillac forum?
Old 06-01-2017, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In plain English simple forms... A clock spring is a spiral/circular ribbon cable that is connecting the steering wheel buttons/airbag to the wiring harness down in the steering column. It allows you to turn the wheel left and right while maintaining connections. I also broke mine this way. I was able to replace mine with a clock spring from eBay for a same year v6, however I did have to move two wires from the broken V unit over to the non V unit. All the wires are the same except the missing ones so it will be obvious which need to be moved. One was a ground and I can't recall what the other was but it was orange lol.

Also the clock spring unit contains the entire steering column harness. And thinking back I may have had to add or splice a ground wire inside the steering wheel itself. From what I'm trying to remember, the ribbon cable was missing one ground tracer, so I spliced into the ground for the cruise or something like that. Once you compare the two you'll see what's missing.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:46 AM
On The Tree

Voodoo was there a reason you replaced it with a V6 model? I'm assuming it was probably cheaper?
Old 06-02-2017, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

It was $50on ebay... vs like $290 at the dealer.. at that time.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Its been many yrs since I replaced one but I its not to hard,taking the wheel off is the hardest part. Take pictures and take your time,you'll be done in no time
Old 07-25-2017, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

So a question related to the steering wheel clock spring.
I am getting a code for the clutch pedal switch sensor. I replaced the sensor and still am getting the check engine light for it, I came upon a post that an individual was also having clutch pedal switch problems and once they replaced the steering wheel clock spring it fixed it. Does that sound right to you guys? I haven't replaced my clock spring yet
Old 07-25-2017, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

You need to replace that first..before throwing other parts at it too.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

I already replaced the clutch pedal position sensor.
Are you saying I should have replaced the clock spring first?
Old 07-28-2017, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Have a lead on a complete steering column replacement for a trade in parts. As long as everything comes out and goes in straight, is there any calibration or reprogramming that needs to be done for the car to recognize the key and steering wheel orientation?
Old 07-29-2017, 03:30 AM
TECH Resident

Just swap the harness...that's ten times easier than swapping the dang column and trying to use a different key and ignition.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

10-4. The column was the cheaper route lol since I have heads that I can trade the column for. But you're right, I'll be checking on ebay for the wiring
Old 07-29-2017, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Voodoo was the wiring harness for the v6 model you bought for a manual or auto trans? or does that even make a difference?
Old 07-29-2017, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Get the column if you want,. But just use the harness. Once I had the steering wheel off it literally took me 20minutes to swap the harness. Looked daunting but it wasn't. If I recall correctly the one I got was for an manual I think. I just remember I had to splice a ground in the steering wheel buttons area and swap an orange wire that was obviously missing on the V6 one. Also when you have the standalone clockspring... You'll want it centered. It's basically a round plastic deal with a ribbon cable in it.. I believe it goes like 2.5rotations each way from center. So you'll want it to be centered when you install it. Make sense?

What year?
Old 07-30-2017, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

2005 V...yes that all made sense, I'll probably check ebay for the manual v6 clock spring, swapping wires shouldn't be that difficult to do.

Quick Reply: Overclocked steering wheel...what did i break?