Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Revs hang between gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Revs hang between gears

06 V and I have a problem that seems to come and go. When I go through the gears (driving normal) the revs will hold when I let off the throttle to shift, will do that off and on or sometimes after I come to a full stop at a light the RPM,s will hold at about 1500 and slowly drop to idle. Any thoughts? Car is basically stock, magnaflow cat back, K&N intake and a mild tune.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You may have a vacuum leak between the MAF and the throttle body. Check your intake tube and PCV hose for holes, leaks, or looseness.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
You may have a vacuum leak between the MAF and the throttle body. Check your intake tube and PCV hose for holes, leaks, or looseness.
Never thought of that! I'll check that out.. that reminds me of another possibility, my K&N was for a 04-05 and didn't have the vacuum tube in the elbow so I drilled and tapped a fitting to hook it back up, is it maybe to large?
Old 06-03-2017, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodDodge
Never thought of that! I'll check that out.. that reminds me of another possibility, my K&N was for a 04-05 and didn't have the vacuum tube in the elbow so I drilled and tapped a fitting to hook it back up, is it maybe to large?
That's possible. Back when I had my Lingenfelter intake tube (which also lacked a provision for the 06/07 PCV), I sealed the hose barb / intake tube interface with a dab of Permatex Ultra Black. However, don't put all your eggs in that basket--another thing to check is that dirty air PCV breather hose (P/N 12594779) next to the throttle body.

Revs hang between gears-po4q3gb.jpg

Image Credit: Pirate4x4 Article

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 06-03-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:39 AM
TECH Regular

The last Pirate Pic is a LS1 engine, isn't there something different to the LS6 in regards to oil steam lines or was it the gas steam line coming from tank?

I closed the upper hole which is showed in the pic with green arrows and it was definitely a oil steam INLET coming from valve covers, not the opposite of it, this pic seemed curios for me...

Greetz
Ron
Old 06-04-2017, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine seems to do that sometimes also, maybe ill check those two hoses, bone stock no mods.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:18 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The ls6 has a hole from the intake to the passenger side valve cover.

You have a small air leak causing the rom. Check your ltft it should be +/- 4. If its positive in the teens its an air leak.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm looking at mine and It has a tube from the passnger valve cover to the throttlebody and one from the intake to below the intake. Should I pull them off withsome plyers and inspect them? Also do these cars have pvc valves anywhere?
Old 06-04-2017, 01:32 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Be very careful not to damage the hoses when you remove
Old 06-04-2017, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, mine hose broke off at the bottom when i was removeing it, it was brittle, so hopefully i can find a u shaped hose at the parts store
Old 06-04-2017, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Should I just go by a foot of this and replace both of them then? What size do you think the hoses are? Looks like it measures around a quarter inch, the hole inside the hose
Old 06-04-2017, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Went to advance and got two feet of the 3/8 inch fuel hose, seems to be a good fit, hopefully i can make that bend, cause they didnt have nothing that shape in stock
Old 06-04-2017, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
That's possible. Back when I had my Lingenfelter intake tube (which also lacked a provision for the 06/07 PCV), I sealed the hose barb / intake tube interface with a dab of Permatex Ultra Black. However, don't put all your eggs in that basket--another thing to check is that dirty air PCV breather hose (P/N 12594779) next to the throttle body.

Image Credit: Pirate4x4 Article
I checked mine all over today, all clamps tight between maf and throttle body and that small U shaped hose behind the throttle body is still soft and looks fine so I didn't bother pulling it off.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Naf
The ls6 has a hole from the intake to the passenger side valve cover.

You have a small air leak causing the rom. Check your ltft it should be +/- 4. If its positive in the teens its an air leak.
Mine is an LS2, I checked my ltft and it's sitting between 0 and 1 sitting at idle
Old 06-04-2017, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can't make that bend without it kinking up, so could i run it longer and go around the harness? I could make that work without kinking, or does it have to be short like that?
Anyways i ordered an oem one from ebay for 7 bucks. What i did might work but im gonna put the oem part on just incase
Attached Thumbnails Revs hang between gears-image.jpg  

Last edited by Mike ctsV; 06-04-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:42 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Mine is an LS2, I checked my ltft and it's sitting between 0 and 1 sitting at idle
If yours hangs while shiftin, look at your tune, the airflow follower could be set too high
Old 06-05-2017, 06:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike ctsV
I can't make that bend without it kinking up, so could i run it longer and go around the harness? I could make that work without kinking, or does it have to be short like that?
Anyways i ordered an oem one from ebay for 7 bucks. What i did might work but im gonna put the oem part on just incase

GM part number 12594779 make sure it is the orange printed one. It's all of $7.99. You most likely paid more for the 3/8" hose than it costs.

The cool thing is that you have half of what you need to run a catch can now, and 3/8" hose is always handy.

-Byron
Old 06-05-2017, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Naf
If yours hangs while shiftin, look at your tune, the airflow follower could be set too high
I will have my guy check that, just seems odd that it comes and goes. Can be fine for months and then start doing it again for a week or so. I did an idle relearn on it yesterday and it is better but still doing it
Old 06-06-2017, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

I will have my guy check that, just seems odd that it comes and goes. Can be fine for months and then start doing it again for a week or so. I did an idle relearn on it yesterday and it is better but still doing it

​​​​​​Mine did this quiet a bit until I unclogged the pcv system and restored it's function.

The U shaped hose running from the valley cover to the intake had an air leak which caused high idle.

I also installed a new clean air hose which had also been leaking. The clean air hose is the one that runs from the air intake tube, to the valve cover.

-Byron
Old 06-06-2017, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Byron
​​​​​​Mine did this quiet a bit until I unclogged the pcv system and restored it's function.

The U shaped hose running from the valley cover to the intake had an air leak which caused high idle.

I also installed a new clean air hose which had also been leaking. The clean air hose is the one that runs from the air intake tube, to the valve cover.

-Byron
I'll check that out! Thanks for the reply's guys

Quick Reply: Revs hang between gears