Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

A/C Compressor DIY Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C Compressor DIY Needed

I have searched this forum, and can't seem to find a DIY for replacing the A/C compressor on a 2004 CTS-V. Mine is cracked and I need to remove and replace, and then I will taken to a shop to vacuum/refill.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-08-2017, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

If it's cracked and all the refrigerant has come out, should be pretty simple. Replace the compressor, orifice, and accumulator. Flush as best you can in case the damn thing came apart internally and put **** throughout the system. Refill according to temp/spec, can get refrigerant at any parts store. Shouldn't be much harder than any other belt driven accessory.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The accumulator is part of the condenser on these cars, which given the fact that the compressor took a dump, probably contaminated/clogged some narrow passages of the condenser anyway--not to mention whatever debris has lodged itself with the fins. It's not overly expensive to replace and will definitely bring the performance of the rebuilt system back to a "like new" status. The old one goes to the recycling bin.

I haven't tackled this system (yet) as a recharge was all I needed to get it back up and running this season. If it leaks down again, I've got dye in it to ID the problem.

Best of luck wrangling that old piece out. I'm not sure if the water pump needs to come off for access, but I'm hoping not.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was blowing cold air, but making a loud noise, so I decided to buy a new one. It should be here mon-Tues of next week, I'll be putting it in myself so I'll let you know how hard or easy it was. Shouldn't be THAT big of a deal, except for clearence issues. I'll take pics.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:17 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may have a compressor and condenser available in the next couple months. I threw the belt two years ago at a track event and had just installed a Ron Davis that was a PITA to get to fit with the intercooler/oil cooler/ PS cooler in the front end. That being said I didn't feel like pulling everything to get the radiator out to get to it, and have gotten used to not having it. Also would kind of like to gain the additional clearance with the condenser out of there.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If you want you can use the new v2 ac bracket and go with a stretch belt like i did.

Gives more clearance for the rad hose
Old 06-13-2017, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

So I just finished replacing my compressor.... pretty easy job if your mechanically inclined.

I removed..
Radiator/fans/condenser
Heater hoses to waterpump (just for space)
Serpentine belt
Compressor belt
Unplug connector on compressor
Removed the ac hard lines from compressor
Removed 4 bolts holding compressor
Pulled it out
Then reverse everything

I know not much of a write up, but you get the jist of it. It's not rocket science. Took me about 2 hrs start to finish and now I got cold ac with no noise from the compressor.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Worst writeup in history.

Lol, just kidding.

Mine just went out, and I just got the compressor at lunch. I'll be tackling this soon. Thanks boss!

Originally Posted by RecklessV
So I just finished replacing my compressor.... pretty easy job if your mechanically inclined.

I removed..
Radiator/fans/condenser
Heater hoses to waterpump (just for space)
Serpentine belt
Compressor belt
Unplug connector on compressor
Removed the ac hard lines from compressor
Removed 4 bolts holding compressor
Pulled it out
Then reverse everything

I know not much of a write up, but you get the jist of it. It's not rocket science. Took me about 2 hrs start to finish and now I got cold ac with no noise from the compressor.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lollygagger8
Worst writeup in history.

Lol, just kidding.

Mine just went out, and I just got the compressor at lunch. I'll be tackling this soon. Thanks boss!

Lmao!!! I know! . It's just really easy to change, just a little time consuming. I didn't have time to take pics, wanted to finish asap since it's the daily.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

While we're talking about A/C, isn't it stupid how the plumbing is run to the A/C condenser? Low on my to-do list, is "find mirror image A/C condenser."
Old 07-03-2017, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BudRacing
I haven't tackled this system (yet) as a recharge was all I needed to get it back up and running this season. If it leaks down again, I've got dye in it to ID the problem.
I spoke too soon and jinxed myself. A month and a half is as long as that charge lasted and I've got green dye sprayed around the compressor pulley in all directions. Great--another $300 in parts and full refrigerant charge plus pretty much a full dismantling of the front end to get to it. Not to mention the sweaty commutes until I can get to it. I'll be doing this along with the ATI dampener, I suppose. At least I finally got my steering and suspension sorted out... for now.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:41 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like you need a priest to bless your ride after the repairs...
Old 07-05-2017, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fn Gremlins!
Old 07-05-2017, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Naf
Sounds like you need a priest to bless your ride after the repairs...
170K and another thousand miles a month will do that to a GM...
Old 07-06-2017, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

170K and another thousand miles a month will do that to a GM...
Damn!!
Old 07-06-2017, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

The 21 MPG average makes it difficult to retire from daily duties--and at this point I may as well keep going. The only bad thing is that it pretty much comes out to a car payment's worth of maintenance every month. ~$300 as a rough estimate.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 21 MPG average makes it difficult to retire from daily duties--and at this point I may as well keep going. The only bad thing is that it pretty much comes out to a car payment's worth of maintenance every month. ~$300 as a rough estimate.
Its a GM vehicle with RWD, a substantial amount of modifiable V8 horsepower, a solid chassis, 4 doors and a manual transmission...I can't help but think they're worth maintaining at the very least.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by budracing
the 21 mpg average makes it difficult to retire from daily duties--and at this point i may as well keep going. The only bad thing is that it pretty much comes out to a car payment's worth of maintenance every month. ~$300 as a rough estimate.
worth it.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ls1247
Its a GM vehicle with RWD, a substantial amount of modifiable V8 horsepower, a solid chassis, 4 doors and a manual transmission...I can't help but think they're worth maintaining at the very least.
All of those points are definitely at the forefront of my perspective, however, there are times when I'm faced with a tedious and/or expensive repair (like an AC rebuild paired with dampener replacement) where my time and effort becomes a factor and I think--man, wouldn't it be nice to not have to do this if the costs are roughly the same?
Old 07-06-2017, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All of those points are definitely at the forefront of my perspective, however, there are times when I'm faced with a tedious and/or expensive repair (like an AC rebuild paired with dampener replacement) where my time and effort becomes a factor and I think--man, wouldn't it be nice to not have to do this if the costs are roughly the same?
I understand where you're at with this. I often wonder if I should just buy a 30K V2 but I know if I do, I'll not only have the car payment but probably the repairs to go along with it...

Originally Posted by Naf
If you want you can use the new v2 ac bracket and go with a stretch belt like i did.

Gives more clearance for the rad hose
Anybody know what he's talking about?

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor DIY Needed