Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V1 drag pack

Old 06-23-2017, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bio248
when you can get a 275 that'll provide more traction than that 305 will what's the point?
​​​​
ok maybe I'm crazy, but how can the same tire design and same compound 1.5 inch narrower provide more traction?

what would the recommended drag tire be for this size wheel?
Old 06-23-2017, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

10" wheels would probably also require new trailing arms, making them less marketable. You can also fit a 295 on a 9.5" wheel.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BudRacing
10" wheels would probably also require new trailing arms, making them less marketable. You can also fit a 295 on a 9.5" wheel.
completely agree, but at the same time any V1 that requires a drag pack will already be modified, hopefully forgestar is watching. I for one would prefer a 10.5 option even if it requires modification. Trailing arms, rolling/pulling fenders, and even small spacers are all part of the expected package when running big custom wheels.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PLA TME
completely agree, but at the same time any V1 that requires a drag pack will already be modified, hopefully forgestar is watching. I for one would prefer a 10.5 option even if it requires modification. Trailing arms, rolling/pulling fenders, and even small spacers are all part of the expected package when running big custom wheels.
5 lug swap and run supra or vette fitment. it's all there for you. you just have to do it.

my point was that if you're really serious about this you don't buy a drag radial, you buy a slick.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
He's trying to line his pockets, not support the community. If was supporting the community, he'd be working with a vendor to get wheels made that provide a competitive advantage.
people meaning forgestar, not the OP, who decided to make the wheel, and you wanting to call them and try and talk them out of it. who cares, let them make the wheel and if it doesnt sell what did it hurt you?
Old 06-23-2017, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

5 lug swap and run supra or vette fitment. it's all there for you. you just have to do it.

my point was that if you're really serious about this you don't buy a drag radial, you buy a slick.
yes, I know. There are options for sure, for me I already have f14 and racing brake 2 piece rotors, so it would be a bigger investment to change. As I would need daily wheels, drag wheels, and new rotor hats plus the 5 lug conversion, instead of just a more desirable drag wheel.

perfect world they offered multiple widths of the 17in wheels. And for that matter the 19s.

Just hate buying parts twice....oh well.

​​​but you raise a valid point. Could run real slicks on on the drag wheels and just swap them out more diligently when needed.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PLA TME
yes, I know. There are options for sure, for me I already have f14 and racing brake 2 piece rotors, so it would be a bigger investment to change. As I would need daily wheels, drag wheels, and new rotor hats plus the 5 lug conversion, instead of just a more desirable drag wheel.

perfect world they offered multiple widths of the 17in wheels. And for that matter the 19s.

Just hate buying parts twice....oh well.

​​​but you raise a valid point. Could run real slicks on on the drag wheels and just swap them out more diligently when needed.
another company i've worked with, BC forged, was speaking with me about a V1 fitment 17" wheel, but i haven't really made any headway with them yet because no one has really stepped up to buy a set yet. however, that'd be a fully forged wheel with whatever specs we'd want to make up. it's going to be in the weld territory for cost, though.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another company i've worked with, BC forged, was speaking with me about a V1 fitment 17" wheel, but i haven't really made any headway with them yet because no one has really stepped up to buy a set yet. however, that'd be a fully forged wheel with whatever specs we'd want to make up. it's going to be in the weld territory for cost, though.
I mean a couple people have
Old 06-26-2017, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why is is so hard for an aftermarket company to make a damn 18 instead of 17 or 19s?
Old 06-26-2017, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

because 17s fit so why wouldn't you want a smaller wheel? i just got a line on team dynamics, but those are only 18x9.

you could always go with a forged wheel and do whatever you want.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

This platform is not worth the cost of a custom set of wheels. Just want a set of wheels that don't look butt ugly (team dynamics 🤢) tired of chasing wheel issues from buying them second hand I always seem to end up with someone else's problems. Not a fan of 19s price of rubber goes up and the selection goes down along with the ride.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
This platform is not worth the cost of a custom set of wheels. Just want a set of wheels that don't look butt ugly (team dynamics 🤢) tired of chasing wheel issues from buying them second hand I always seem to end up with someone else's problems. Not a fan of 19s price of rubber goes up and the selection goes down along with the ride.
Are you saying you want team dynamics or think they are ugly? If you want them, Bio just got a line on them and can get you a new set. He's been talking about it on the facebook page.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are ugly
Old 06-28-2017, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

+1 for guys supporting this platform. fuzzy stfu and delete your profile. You haven't posted anything useful for quite sometime and this is a perfect example of someone talking about wheels right before you say "y'all are f*ucking idiots, don't buy anything anyone develops. Instead buy these 37 parts for $500/ea., do some trigonometry like I did and it will make your POS CTS V, that is the only car on earth I could buy, and GM never should have built, into a kinda tuned race car, you peasants"
Old 06-28-2017, 07:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SE-R Spec
+1 for guys supporting this platform. fuzzy stfu and delete your profile. You haven't posted anything useful for quite sometime and this is a perfect example of someone talking about wheels right before you say "y'all are f*ucking idiots, don't buy anything anyone develops. Instead buy these 37 parts for $500/ea., do some trigonometry like I did and it will make your POS CTS V, that is the only car on earth I could buy, and GM never should have built, into a kinda tuned race car, you peasants"
Attachment 719628

Back up your arguments with evidence or GTFO, you piece of ****. If you think I haven't posted anything useful, you're not reading the forum. It'd take me 60 seconds to gather more information in my post history than you've EVER provided in 5 years here. Also, don't put words in my mouth. "The wheels are a bad business decision" DOES NOT EQUAL "y'all are f*ucking idiots, don't buy anything anyone else develops." You're a moron. Do the community a service and delete YOUR account.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

the amount of money they're going to make in return on these will pay for the development of them at a minimum. from there even a slow trickle of sales equals profit.

typically that's an okay business decision.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

the amount of money they're going to make in return on these will pay for the development of them at a minimum. from there even a slow trickle of sales equals profit.

Really? What's your basis for that claim? Because according to Forgestar, 50 sets of 4 V1 F14 wheels was barely enough to break even. Let's do a little math: assuming they make $400 profit per set (which is a lot once you factor in shipping), that's a mere $20,000 or 1 man level of engineering effort for 100 hours. I keep a folder with all CTS-V1 Forgestar F14 pictures cross-referenced with forum names and there are less than 25 buyers that have posted online.

Anyway, I think the business rationale is that designing the wheels for the V2 market is justified based on the ETs and sales on the V2 side of the wall. They probably slapped together the V1 design since it cost them almost nothing to do so, since they had our information from before. More information and pictures showing brake caliper clearance here:

http://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/90-p...eels-ctsv.html

Old 06-28-2017, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
...I keep a folder with all CTS-V1 Forgestar F14 pictures cross-referenced with forum name....
Awesome....
Old 06-28-2017, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it? Because if you were to phrase it as, "You'll at least be working for free, but once that's done you might get a slow trickle." Doesn't sound like a business decision companies should choose to make. Sounds like an opportunity cost to me when that time could have been spent developing something that would actually sell. Either times are really slow (doubtful) or the previous design work to produce the run of 19s easily translated into this 17" version. My assumption is with the latter mixed with a bit of good will.

Don't get this confused as me opposing this run of wheels. It's certainly welcome in the V community, but it's more of a gift than a monetary business play--building the brand, if you will.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

the V1 19s are still selling out every time they come in. they're not just throwing them out the back door as dead stock...

but yes, i agree that they most likely transferred over the design of the 19s to the 17s and used what they knew would work for a little more market distribution. the V2 sets sell like hotcakes. these won't, but they'll sell them still.

Last edited by Bio248; 06-28-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V1 drag pack