Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fortune Auto 500 series coilover CTS-V Gen 1 group buy interest

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Fortune Auto 500 series coilover CTS-V Gen 1 group buy interest

Anyone interested in having interest in CTS-V Gen 1 coilovers made in the USA by Fortune Auto in Powhatan, VA. We need ten committed and they will make it happen.

Email: Sales@fortune-auto.net
Phone: 877-227-0260

https://fortune-auto.com/generation-6/

These will be for Fortune 500 series which are for the street and for occasional track usage. They make 510 series for the road racers but I am uncertain if 510 will be included in this initial run. It is highly unlikely but I cannot speak for the organizer.

Interest has been generated by an individual that is the contact for the possible group buy. He has contacted Fortune Auto and as of yesterday, June 27th 2017, the VP and President have approved the potential group buy. They want to do this for us. The organizer is a good friend of mine and I will ask that he join the forums so he can better explain finite points. I have done business with him before for more than one item (including Fortune Auto 500 coilovers) and he is very pleasant to work with. Best of all, he gets a price I simply cannot find anywhere else.

Contact information is:
LS1Tech forum name: Shingouki1
Name: Juan Ramirez
Phone: (323)717-4863
Email: dashin01@gmail.com

Fortune Auto will get a 2006 CTS-V to create a set of coilovers for. That can/will happen at the end of September. Fortune will likely create a prototype and have a working set completed by the end of 2017. Hopefully, by the beginning of 2018, we can begin to collect money and Fortune will create the run of ten units of the very first ever hand-built Fortune Auto coilovers for the 2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Gen 1. Fortunes wants to coilovers paid for in full, up front before they start production but they will have a working prototype by then. I am almost positive the down payments or other pre-payments will not be refundable. The discount is too cheap and since they have never made them before, Fortune does not want excess stock sitting around for years to sell.

I have spoke to Fortune a few times in the past regarding other chassis'. They have done well and accommodated whatever tweak for that SPECIFIC chassis' coilover set may need when lowering a car. For example, when you lower cars, sometimes other components touch each other or could potential hit each other or maybe wrong angles are created when the car is lowered. They listen to folks, they are observant and can make the suspension custom tailored for the car.

This timetable is rough and the deal is a long way away. I have participated in group buys myself and purchased a set of Fortune Auto 500 coilovers for another car I have from this individual. Very impressed with the product from this company and the customer service although not needed for me, has been there to answer my pesky questions. I know getting into technical specs and chassis requirement is an important point and I have no information regards to that. Check out their website.

Fortune Makes some Corvette coilovers and they are seemingly popular.

Been called the best single adjustable coilovers in their class at an affordable price point. Everything is engineered and built in house at the Richmond, VA facility. Here are some of the standard features of fortune auto 500 series coilovers.

• All shocks custom built to order
• Dyno-tested
• Monotube damper with high pressure nitrogen
• 24-step rebound adjustable dampers
• Spherical bearings
• Bright dip anodized, Aluminum T6 6061 mounts
• Height adjustment independent of preload
• Digressive piston technology
5-year manufacturer's warranty
Swift springs upgrade available
• Rebuildable at our VA facility
• Revalvable at our VA facility

This is to generate interest. I hope we can find at least nine other people to make this happen because I want a set. I am in. I am committed, I could post the image of Fry with a fistful of money "Shut up and take my money" because I am all-in. I want something street friendly and nice for my CTS-V and KW is just too much price for the nice that I really do not need. (And I can use that extra money saved to buy a cam or heads or something else)

-KW has a very strict warranty policy, you must purchase the coilovers from an authorized retailer in order to get any warranty credit.
-KW are made with twin-tube design. Fortune Auto will be made in the premium monotube design.
-Fortune Autos will be fully customize-able, from the factory, while KW would require additional parts and do not support out of the box amenities or add-on specific for your application.
-Fortune Auto will be made in the true coilover design to allow the user full adjust-ability of each corner ride height easily without the regret of cutting springs or swapping out springs for other units.

I hope we can generate positive interest and I wish to promote a healthy discussion where we can all benefit. I do not have social media, spread this if you can and want some Fortune Auto coilovers on your car.

List
1. Prototype donor
2. K. Anderson (kra86)

Last edited by kra86; 07-01-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

It would appear retail would be around $1500. Where is the group buy price going to land?
Old 06-28-2017, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Trying to extract that information is key, I understand.

Last year the MSRP for my other cars coilover set was $1299. I paid $1100.00 for the coilovers from Juan. I opted for Swift springs and paid $250 extra. I had to dig this out from my PayPal account because I simply could not remember. For 2017, I know the MSRP was raised $25 to $1324 for my old car coilover set.

I have not found MSRP for Corvettes but I would believe it should be similar or near that MSRP. Our discount will delve deeper and cheaper than you can find anywhere. Once again, this is all new to me. I just got a phone call last night detailing to me early stages of this deal and I want it to happen so I created this interest/discussion thread.

It is likely Swift springs will be $325 extra. Radial bearings are $50 extra (vs default rubber bits). I will expect that the MSRP of $1500 as you have found @jmilz28 that we could see $1300 or $1325 for our price point. Add amenities and the price goes up. All roughly speaking, don't quote me yet.

Last edited by kra86; 06-28-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to be exact. Swift spring upgrade is $325 and radial bearing upgrade is $50. Final pricing won't be known until they are done with manufacturing. I can say they I expect them to use Corvette msrp which is $1575. My discount on these coilovers is deep, I have the cheapest pricing on Fortune-Auto coilovers through my group buys. You guys have a chance at being the first ones with these 1st gen cts-v fortune-auto 500 gen 6 coilovers. After years of friends such as @kra86 I have finally made it happen. These coilovers will not be made unless I have 10 people in the group buy. As of now I am looking to make sure there is enough general interest. I can promise you guys that the discount will be very good.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kra86
Trying to extract that information is key, I understand.

Last year the MSRP for my other cars coilover set was $1299. I paid $1100.00 for the coilovers from Juan. I opted for Swift springs and paid $250 extra. I had to dig this out from my PayPal account because I simply could not remember. For 2017, I know the MSRP was raised $25 to $1324 for my old car coilover set.

I have not found MSRP for Corvettes but I would believe it should be similar or near that MSRP. Our discount will delve deeper and cheaper than you can find anywhere. Once again, this is all new to me. I just got a phone call last night detailing to me early stages of this deal and I want it to happen so I created this interest/discussion thread.

It is likely Swift springs will be $325 extra. Radial bearings are $50 extra (vs default rubber bits).
FYI: You can get brand new Belltech aka. KW V3's for $1600 if you wait for the right 15-20%off holidays to come around.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:23 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Well I know they can, but will they make custom spring rates and valving for this application? A set for drag racing V1's would be awesome!
Old 06-28-2017, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by barrok69
FYI: You can get brand new Belltech aka. KW V3's for $1600 if you wait for the right 15-20%off holidays to come around.
Yep, I can find those V3 ($2,379.99 MSRP) for around $2,000.00 plus or minus $50.00 now. I am sure some holiday sales to boost dead moving inventory is out there.

I don't know if warranty information is as stout as 5-years, but you can call Fortune-Auto based in VA and speak to an English speaking person. I am sure you can call California branch of the German owned KW company and get an English speaking person as well. I have zero experience with KW anything.

All things to consider. Plus, KW does not make the rear a "true" coilover shock and that is what I am looking for.

I want to support an American R&D company that is building coilovers.

EDIT: I tried to find KW warranty into on their website and could not find anything. I found this on another website. So much for that "warranty" lol....

Last edited by kra86; 06-28-2017 at 01:39 PM. Reason: posted found KW "warranty" info
Old 06-28-2017, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I paid $1100.00 for the coilovers from Juan. I opted for Swift springs and paid $250 extra.
So that $1,100 included the Swift springs or not?
Old 06-28-2017, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BaMaDuDe87
So that $1,100 included the Swift springs or not?
No, do not get caught up in my example from February 2016 as gospel.

That was to illustrate that Juan saved me $200.00 over MSRP and Fortune runs a strict MAP (Minimal Advertised Price) scheme to keep it competitive so prices were not even advertised on the forum.

If these MSRP at $1,500.00, then a discount of $200.00 would get us to around $1300.00 but that is not in concrete yet. The numbers of $1299 and $1100.00 was to illustrate the potential savings that this group buy may allow.

I paid $1350 for my coilovers, WITH Swift springs. That is unobtainable anywhere else I searched on the internet. (once again, this is for a totally different chassis that Fortune has sold more than ten units for)
Old 06-28-2017, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Well I know they can, but will they make custom spring rates and valving for this application? A set for drag racing V1's would be awesome!
Yes they will allow for whatever spring rates you want. They do re-valve when rates drop or exceed their "OEM setting". That has not even been discoverd yet, but rest assured Fortune Auto will find out what they recommend as default swpring rates and valving they need. Then YOU, can customize the spring rates to what you want. They will re-valve if the spring rates you want are much higher (or lower) than what they recommend.

I want to answer all yours question with supreme clarity, I want the answers as badly as you all do. This is for interest.

Last edited by kra86; 06-28-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:51 PM
Teching In

With Fortune Auto you will be able to choose your own spring rate and your dampers will be valved to your specific spring rate. All sets are custom made to order and are not off the shelf stock like kw. Kw does make high end coilovers but they are not customizable. They also have no spring upgrade options such as hyperco or swift springs. Fortune auto is dominating super lap battle and global time attack with a lot of cars running their suspension. This is hands down the best entry level track ready suspension you will buy.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All things to consider. Plus, KW does not make the rear a "true" coilover shock and that is what I am looking for.
I'm curious as to whether or not the stock shock mounting location is structurally sound enough to support the entire weight of the rear without separate springs or further modification. Otherwise, good for you for diving into this so quickly and best of luck.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BudRacing
I'm curious as to whether or not the stock shock mounting location is structurally sound enough to support the entire weight of the rear without separate springs or further modification. Otherwise, good for you for diving into this so quickly and best of luck.
No dog in this fight, but I know LG built their setup around the shock mount without concern.

Also, I second the claim for KW's (belltech) for $1600. I got mine for $1630 just by calling around to different shops.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the shock location is plenty strong to support a true coilover setup, but at the end of the day there's not really much benefit to doing it and just reduces inner wheel clearance instead. there's really no need for it.

i've had coilovers (D2) on my car with swift springs (12/16k) and now i'm on cut springs. i don't regret taking the coilovers off even though they needed a little refreshing, but i do regret going to cut springs. however, stock ride height is the devil and any of the available drop springs are way too soft of spring rate to support the aggressive wheel setups i run. i'll switch it up again in the future i'm sure. i never stick with the same thing for long.

another note, these coilovers will never be long enough travel to be good for drag racing. it's just the nature of their construction and how you'd want the weight transfer to happen. they will be great for road courses, though.

if the group buy can bring these down sub $1000 they'll be worth the investment, but i have a hard time seeing that happening. you really need to know the right people for that kind of price break on them.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bio248
another note, these coilovers will never be long enough travel to be good for drag racing. it's just the nature of their construction and how you'd want the weight transfer to happen. they will be great for road courses, though.
What the hell are you talking about? You barely use any travel during drag racing. Just gotta get the front to rear weight transfer tuned right.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

oh, thank god you're here.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lol...
Old 06-28-2017, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1247
lol...
Oh look, it's the two lowest effort posters in the V1 community.

How much rear wheel travel happened there? Two inches?

How much travel does every V1 coilover kit have? 6 inches?

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 06-28-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

you need travel in the front, dude. and it needs to be slow.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
....Oh look, it's the two lowest effort posters in the V1 community....
when you seem to thrive so much on calling people idiots, it doesn't take much effort to turn the tables on you.

Quick Reply: Fortune Auto 500 series coilover CTS-V Gen 1 group buy interest