Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Are drive shafts repairable/serviceable or do they need to be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 02:19 PM
tnw
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are drive shafts repairable/serviceable or do they need to be replaced?

I'm experiencing some noise from the driveshaft and a shop I trust says I need to get the driveshaft rebuilt. They can't do it themselves so I'm calling around for some info.

I've been asked, and am not sure, if the driveshaft is even repairable/serviceable or if it has to be replaced. I was told to look to see if the driveshaft has a stake u-joint or friction welds. These are apparently indicators that it cannot be serviced and will have to be replaced entirely.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on this for me? This is for a 2006 CTS-V, by the way.

Thank you!
Old 04-17-2018, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Theres a guy on here who can service it, depending on what the actual issue is. Do you have details?
Old 04-17-2018, 02:29 PM
tnw
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by isis
Theres a guy on here who can service it, depending on what the actual issue is. Do you have details?
The best description I can give is that there's a cover on the joint behind the carrier bearing which has come loose and is losing grease. It's rubbing on something, unsure what, and is scraping the driveshaft a bit. The carrier bearing is also shot and needs replacement.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You need a new driveshaft CV joint and a new carrier bearing.

Both things you can get, rather cheaply. I have purchased both parts. I am waiting to do the carrier bearing for some goofy reason. My CV joint is still good but yours sounds split open to the environment.

Here is the thread for the CV joint. https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...available.html

Here is the thread for the carrier bearing. https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...t-bearing.html
Old 04-17-2018, 03:34 PM
tnw
Staging Lane

Thank you for the info! I think my biggest problem now is just finding a shop which can put those on for me.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Correct. A shop familar with Front wheel drive constant velocity joints should not have a problem servicing the driveshaft.

It is not voodoo, the design is a bit silly, but it functions (mostly). What is Voodoo is the sweet polyu carrier bearing made aka Voodoo chikin bearing. Nice stuff, and supporting a fellow V1 enthusiast is another plus.

He can work on the driveshaft for you if you can afford down time and afford to pay him for his services and time.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

It would be unusual for the CV to be bad. It happens, but not at all common. What is more common is they just lose grease and dry out and get noisy. If the CV is good (probable), it can be repacked while the carrier is being replaced. Voodoochikin is your best bet...by a lot. Your other options are:
buy new OEM
buy new Dorman
rebuild with Colorado Driveshaft
go with an aftermarket single or 2 piece shaft.

I'd suggest you contact Voodoo after taking some pics and sending details. Take it out, send it off, live with downtime. By far the best solution/dollar...not even close.

If you want to drive it and have it be trouble free, buy an OEM for the best price you can and get down the road.

A few have had good results rebuilding, I did not. There are only a literal handful in the US that can rebuild and balance a 2 piece shaft with CVs. If there is one close to you, give it a shot, but I would avoid it. It is shockingly tedious to do it right. I went to SIX drivetrain and driveshaft shops...none of them would touch ours.

Dorman shaft works well for most, mine was too short. I think I was the oddball on this. The Dorman piece had same/better quality components than OEM to my eye and hand.

PST and others (search this forum), make aftermarket shafts with varying degrees of success. Many find it difficult to make it vibration free in practice, compounded by the fact that drivetrain alignment is a major issue for this car anyway. I would only do this if you are WAY over stock power or have money to burn.

There is more to this but I have hit the highlights. You COULD buy a used shaft but it is almost certain that its CV needs replacing anyway.

Voodoo
Dorman
OEM
Only 3 options worth looking at IMO, for my DD use.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send it to Voodoo and never look back
Old 04-18-2018, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok so reading the OP it sounds like the center CV joint is possibly leaking grease. It's unlikely the CV cap has come loose naturally or from the resonator shield rubbing it which is the only thing down there that could rub it. Either someone has jacked with the cap before or it's leaking from a cracked boot which can happen naturally due to aging rubber. Also the carrier support rubber could be torn and allowing the shaft to contact things it shouldn't. The only time I've had issues with joints being actually bad is if they were allowed to run dry for extended time. I've personally had CV boot tear out on the trail and drove 40miles losing grease and getting packed with sand. Still good lol.

We can correct grease loss on those joints and replace that crap OEM carrier with a high quality polyurethane carrier bearing unit!
Old 04-19-2018, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

There is another thread on here showing there is much more wrong with our shafts then just the carrier bearing/bushing. Search for it as it shows a bent shaft which can induce vibrations.

The ultimate fix is a replacement two piece.