Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fuel Tank Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Tank Leak

Was feeling up the V today and got to about half a tank and gas start spewing out at the middle back of the car. I also had an issue this weekend where I was on a road trip and my car started making a weird noise in the back by the gas tank then the car sputtered out. After the car cooled down it ran fine but I smelt gas towards the rear end. The occurred after I was sitting in hot Austin traffic for an hour. I towed it back to Beaumont anyways. I know there is fuel pump recall but I'm not apart of it.

Do you think the leak is coming from the recalled plug? I am guessing I'm going to have to cut a hole under the rear seat to take a look

On a side note. My check engine light is on. EVAP error but that has been on since my longtube install.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you know your car doesn't quality for the recall? If that's happening, there's a good chance it is--or should be. That's just plain dangerous.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea it sounds like your issue. If you cut the hole and need to borrow the lock ring tool I have one just let me know and you can borrow it. I nearly destroyed my lock ring trying to use a pipe and hammer to unscrew it.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BudRacing
How do you know your car doesn't quality for the recall? If that's happening, there's a good chance it is--or should be. That's just plain dangerous.
https://my.gm.com/recalls
Old 10-09-2017, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Leal
On a side note. My check engine light is on. EVAP error but that has been on since my longtube install.
A long tube install shouldn't result in an evap code. Now that you have a fuel leak in addition to an evap code, I'd be inclined to think they're related.

Earlier this summer during a track event I started smelling gas when I came off track. It only happened then, when everything on the car is very hot. Dealership couldn't find any issues, which I kind of figured would be the case. I went ahead and had them replace the evap cannister and purge valve as a precaution, and the problem hasn't come back at the track events I've done since then.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Rear drive shaft has rub marks. It's not rubbing now but it was. Ideas?
Old 10-11-2017, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Here is the problem

and hear is the cause.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

That doesn't make much sense. Lots and lots of guys - pretty much everyone who has owned a V1 - has had that diff bushing go bad. I've seen pics of ones that basically didn't exist anymore by the time the owner got around to installing a replacement bushing. I've never seen someone have a bad diff bushing result in the driveshaft contacting the gas tank and melting a hole in it. Just seems like there has to be something else at play - gas tank isn't mounted properly, rear diff mounts are shot too, something.

Last edited by AAIIIC; 10-12-2017 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

How does the center carrier bearing look? Looks like the driveshaft was flopping around a lot too.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
That doesn't make much sense. Lots of lots of guys - pretty much everyone who has owned a V1 - has had that diff bushing go bad. I've seen pics of ones that basically didn't exist anymore by the time the owner got around to installing a replacement bushing. I've never seen someone have a bad diff bushing result in the driveshaft contacting the gas tank and melting a hole in it. Just seems like there has to be something else at play - gas tank isn't mounted properly, rear diff mounts are shot too, something.
yeah has to be something else too. Unless it’s been bad for 80k miles or something crazy
Old 10-12-2017, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Center carrier bearing was replaced 3 years ago by the dealer but I'll take a look at it again. I plan on replacing the diff bushing, cradle bushing, and fuel pump. Anything else I should replace while I have the rear cradle out?

Car is about to hit 100k.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, replace that driveshaft carrier with a polyurethane unit.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04
Yea, replace that driveshaft carrier with a polyurethane unit.
#shamelessplug
Old 10-12-2017, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My tank has an aluminum shield in that area so that if the driveshaft does hit the tank it doesn't damage the tank. It looks like you made have worn yours off. I am surprised you didn't hear it hitting. You can get tanks pretty cheaply. I bought one from a salvage yard a while back just in case I have any weird issues. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

The base uses the same tank
Old 10-13-2017, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks everyone for the assistance. I took shield off to get a closer look at the tank so it had one. I just purchased and cts tank off of ebay for $120 shipped. Does anybody have a guide on dropping the rear cradle?. Can I loosen the bolts then jack the rear up with the wheels on and roll it out?
Old 10-13-2017, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can I loosen the bolts then jack the rear up with the wheels on and roll it out? No, brake lines need to be disconnected. Obviously the driveshaft needs to be disconnected from the diff and you have the suspension components (shocks, trailing arms, etc.). I can't remember what else might need to be removed. If there is an easier way I don't remember it. Maybe someone else can chime in. BTW mine is a thunder grey 2007.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't have to take the cradle out. Remove front cradle bolts, loosen the rears and just let it droop. That's how they were doing the recalls anyway...
Old 10-13-2017, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

Already purchased cradle bushings.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't have to take the cradle out. Remove front cradle bolts, loosen the rears and just let it droop. That's how they were doing the recalls anyway...
Hmmm. Maybe I will do that new tank and bucket from a V2 after all.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Leak