Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Trans fluid, amsoil or redline?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trans fluid, amsoil or redline?

Opinions. Wanting to do a trans flush.
Do u guys prefer amsoil or redline?
Got to change my leaking reverse lockout sensor, want to do a trans flush while im at it.
107k miles, shifts normal and dont make no funny noises, but i dont know how old the fluid is thats in it.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both of those are the top two choices. Can't go wrong with either.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second Bud. Just go with what you can get the best deal on.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

I've used both over the last year.

Redline is nice, but amsoil torque drive really out shines it.

It feels better to me when shifting and is quieter than redline. My synchro seemed overly fast with redline D4( and with Dex 6) but a little slower and easier to live with with the amsoil.

I Also noticed a slight decrease in temps. Dex 6 and redline would keep my trans temps around ~ 98 c and Amsoil torque drive around 94-95 c during the summer temps.

Amsoil also seemed to reduce the noise from the trans in my car a bit also.

I did not use the redline mix that some people recommend. I just used D4 as redline recommends.

I hope that will help you a bit with the small differences.

There isn't a bad choice with either honestly, but with the reduction in heat and me living in Dubai, I'll recommend amsoil torquedrive over the D4 primarily for my environment.

-Byron
Old 10-17-2017, 11:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would never run pure automatic transmission fluid in a manual transmission, regardless of brand, because it’s designed for a totally different application. The synchros in manual transmissions are sensitive to viscosity and friction modifiers. If the oil is too slippery, the transmission will be hard to shift.

Without knowing exactly what the T56 requires, your best bet is either an OEM approved oil or something that has been tested extensively by other drivers, like the Redline D4 + MTL mix. I’ve changed transmission fluid five times in 38,000 miles and the Redline mixture shifted the best and came out the cleanest.

Regardless, pick whichever you want and record your thoughts. Once you’ve tried a few different types, let us know what you think. I’m not really interested in hearing people’s opinions on oil unless they’ve tried a couple different types and not waited 40-100k miles between fills. Surprise surprise, new oil feels better than that syrup you extracted from your transmission. Doesn’t mean your choice in oil is the next big thing.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 10-17-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Redline used to advocate the quart of gear oil with the standard D4 ATF fluid in the T56 more directly on their site, but that doesn't look to be spelled out like it once was on their products page.

I believe when I changed my trans fluid several years ago I used Mobil 1 ATF fluid because it's what I could get my hands on quickly and I had a quart of Amsoil 75/90 Severgear fluid left over from my differential. Point being, use the quart of gear oil along with ATF fluid to slow the syncros down and it should make shift engagement a bit easier.

If I were to do this again, I'd probably take fuzzy's advice and go with Redline since he has a solid back to back comparison of different oils.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Walmart brand Dex III man.. OEM fill is just cheap ATF. That is exactly what Jason at Texas Drivetrain Performance told me when I asked about 1 yr ago. He said anything else is wasted money. He also said he has seen guys put the sycromesh stuff in and ruin the syncro's in 20,000 miles.... The trans was designed to run on cheap ATF, and unless you are racing regularly and getting really high trans temps you should just save the money for something that will actually give benefit.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on the T56 cocktail of 3 quarts Redline D4 ATF plus 1 quart MTL, as per @FuzzyLog1c

Mine was never changed and at 84k miles, it was clearly evident that the OEM stuff is not up to snuff, no way should you believe it is a "lifetime" fill. Change that if you bought it used, if you have no idea, change it now. If you want to use cheap ****, sure. I have used Redline before in transmissions made of sugar glass and I know that Redline is great stuff. I would never hesitate in using this Redline mixture in another T56 transmission and I would recommend that mixture. I only have about 1,100 miles since I have changed but the difference is worldly coming from worn out whatever GM was cheap enough to get.

Last edited by kra86; 10-18-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I will really mess your noodle up. Rp syncromax. Would advise against it in cold climates but I love the switch. Holds up to heat light years better than anything else and makes for a nice feeling positive shift
Old 10-18-2017, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I just did the shift detent mod (Anti Venom mod) and I'm wanting to try a better fluid than the standard recommended Dec 3. I've always heard both Red line and Amsoil to be the best, but I've been hearing even greater reviews lately on a trans fluid called BG Synco Shift. Any of of you heard of it? Only problem with any of these is that Tremec will not reccommend them.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

No wrong answer here but Amsoil has strong evidence that it's #1 in most apps...and is priced accordingly. I'd consider Redline #2 but I've seen BG products do some surprisingly positive things over the years, in oil, diff, and fuel injection. T56 requires simple ATF and any will do but better is better (duh) if you plan to keep the car. I wouldn't put any less than the brands I mentioned, adding Royal Purple as a great choice and Mobil 1 as the bottom line option for me. I did a back to back of new Royal Purple and Redline's cocktail and though the RP was good, the Redline seemed to shift a tad smoother. I've had amazing results from RP in my old 4L60e in my burb - stopped slipping after a drain and fill with RP and no it wasn't low. If you're going to sell the car in a year or three, sling Mobil 1 in it. If it's a long termer, upgrade your fluids and/or intervals.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MORLOK
Walmart brand Dex III man.. OEM fill is just cheap ATF. That is exactly what Jason at Texas Drivetrain Performance told me when I asked about 1 yr ago. He said anything else is wasted money. He also said he has seen guys put the sycromesh stuff in and ruin the syncro's in 20,000 miles.... The trans was designed to run on cheap ATF, and unless you are racing regularly and getting really high trans temps you should just save the money for something that will actually give benefit.
i had the exact same conversation with Jason.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Finally ordered my oem reverse lockout solenoid.
Along with a gallon of redline d4 atf and a quart of redline 75w80 gear oil.
Also ordered 3L of ate dot4 typ200 brake fluid for a complete brake system and clutch flush.
I hope 3L is enough to do a complete flush and refill??
Old 11-05-2017, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like thats whats been leaking slowly and dripping on my exhaust, drivers side toward the top at the rear of trans
Old 11-06-2017, 07:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just performed my first brake flush on my own 2006 V. I definitely went overboard and used 3.5 Liters. I have confidence that the system is as clean as it will be until service cycles move fluid around, heating up the new fluid and I believe I will have to re bleed in another 10k miles. Mine was neglected, sadly. So mine is a more worse than typical case.

I like the grocery lister otherwise.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mike ctsV
Looks like thats whats been leaking slowly and dripping on my exhaust, drivers side toward the top at the rear of trans
Mine looks just like that, but I assumed the leak was coming from elsewhere. Lemme know how that works out for you.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Mine looks just like that, but I assumed the leak was coming from elsewhere. Lemme know how that works out for you.
Ok ill keep u informed, that pic was from a few months ago and i asked on here back then and thats what a few said it was, but that pic was takein after i cleaned it up a bit also, i should of took a good before pic, but it looked like it was dripping out of that plug that goes into that sensor, so im assuming the sensor was leaking internally
Old 11-06-2017, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does yours also drip onto your pipe and make it steam if your sitting at a redlight long or at a drive through getting some grub? Thats what made me investigate lol, im like wheres that steam come from every now and then
Old 11-06-2017, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like they also sell the bottom part? But i just ordered the whole thing to be safe
Old 11-08-2017, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mike ctsV
Does yours also drip onto your pipe and make it steam if your sitting at a redlight long or at a drive through getting some grub? Thats what made me investigate lol, im like wheres that steam come from every now and then
I get condensation built up from my Evap that gathers on top of the trans that finds its way onto the exhaust. If it's steam, that's more likely the culprit. I can't see the drain line, but if I drop the trans again I'll be looking for it.

Quick Reply: Trans fluid, amsoil or redline?