LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) (https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-2004-2007-gen-i-68/)
-   -   Time for a motor mount upgrade. Suggestions? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-2004-2007-gen-i/1889406-time-motor-mount-upgrade-suggestions.html)

JPCTS-V04 01-11-2018 10:09 PM

Time for a motor mount upgrade. Suggestions?

Its time to replace the motor mounts on the V. The previous owner bought creative steel poly mounts for it and complained about some vibrations. His fix was to remove the Creative steel mount from the passenger side and reinstall the factory mount and leave the Creative Steel mount in the driver side. The creative steel mount is split and has some movement in it and the passenger side factory mount is significantly dry rotted but not yet busted or separated. There was no heat shield installed on the creative steel mount. Ive noticed the car vibrating/slightly shaking to a halt when i shut it down. Thinking this is due to the split motor mounts. Also with the engine revved to 2k rpm sitting still i have a vibration that stays whether the clutch is engaged or disengaged or if im driving or not. Im thinking this is due the motormounts as well. Thoughts?

The mods on my car are: Long tube headers, x-pipe, no cats, into stock mufflers with QTP cutouts. LS7 Flywheel and clutch kit, CAI, Straub Trunnion Upgrade, 1 piece aluminum driveshaft, g-force axles, poly trans mount (looks like old style creative steel mount), powerbond 25% underdrive dampner, Gen 4 diff with revshift bushing, and a tune. 145K miles. What motor mounts do yall suggest? Ive seen a lot of people running UMI, Creative steel, and Revshift although I was not able to find Revshift mounts online. I plan to install a tsp torquer v2 cam in the near future so ill need a pretty decent mount. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

ls1247 01-11-2018 11:03 PM

We have beat this topic to death. There is literally 10 years worth of info on this. If there was something new, you'd know about it. Please search.

JPCTS-V04 01-11-2018 11:12 PM

I have searched plenty for quite some time hence why Ive stated that I see people run the mounts I’ve listed with pros and cons to them all. Just trying to get an idea of which one is best for my application and which company has come out on top before I drop $200 on some mounts that are garbage and gonna fail me.

Choppy_Idle 01-12-2018 02:12 AM

In summary of all mm mounts threads, cs ones are the best when right installed with heat shield!

If they fail, when right installed, they give u a refund, i'm sure, best customer service worldwide, i guarantee...

Give them another try and u will be pleased, i'm sure!

Greetz
Ron

Byron 01-12-2018 05:55 AM

I am a paticular fan of the Umi mounts.

No additional vibration for me, and the car feels better with them than my car did running the CS mount.

-Byron

BudRacing 01-12-2018 03:21 PM

I'd be tempted to try some of the inexpensive stock replacements from Rock Auto with Creative Steel's redesigned trans mount for comfort's sake. This would also be paired with my wrapped headers which pose less of a heat threat than the cast manifolds.

Byron 01-12-2018 03:25 PM

Stock mounts suck.

Go with the Umi mounts, they won't melt. They actually sit a hair lower than stock, and a stock trans mount with revshift insert.
.car will keep perfect alignment, and be butter smooth.

-Byron

MN_V 01-12-2018 03:52 PM

CS re-designed their mounts about 4 years ago along with a new heat shield. No issues with mine and they look new after 2 years.

vroom_vroom 01-12-2018 05:04 PM

went with the softest (stage 1) mount. no additional vibrations.

jmilz28 01-12-2018 10:02 PM

Safe bet = Creative Steel. Mine installed 2 years ago, look and feel great.
If you do UMI motor mounts, go with a new CS trans mount or OEM trans mount. Mounts that solid will not mask other vibration issues like softer ones will. Always go same hardness on engine and trans or SOFTER on trans than engine.

Byron 01-12-2018 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by MN_V (Post 19809439)
CS re-designed their mounts about 4 years ago along with a new heat shield. No issues with mine and they look new after 2 years.

Mine were less than a year installed when my CS mounts melted.

You absolutely couldn't tell they failed until you removed them, other than the high vibration. Visually they looked perfect and I was swapping just because I had a set of Umi mounts to install, not because I thought they were bad.

Installed August 2016. Removed June 2017.

-Byronhttps://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...e21b462a95.jpg

jmilz28 01-13-2018 03:28 AM

Good info, Byron. YOu have headers?

Byron 01-13-2018 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by jmilz28 (Post 19809721)
Good info, Byron. YOu have headers?

Yep. 1 3/4" cerakote coating and wrapped.

They had failed prior to headers however.

There is no way to inspect it until you remove them. I had scored a sweet deal on the UMIs and had decided to have them installed with the clutch as I was chasing an alignment issue with the drive line.

It's pure chance and a wild hair that made me swap them. I argued with the shop doing the clutch as they swore the mounts were perfect.

I thought that the alignment issue was in the back, never suspicious of the mounts. Turns out it was a combination of the Umi mounts and stock trans mount with instert gave me a perfect alignment between the drive shaft and output shaft. With Umi mounts and cs trans mount I was still 1/2" high, which is within the tolerance of 1 degree, but it's the upper end of the tolerance. With the UMIs and stock mount it's dead nuts perfect.

Every car will be different, so OP be prepared to change them again if it doesn't line up. And always check the alignment after mount changes.

There is plenty of info on how to achieve this on here, caddy forums and Facebook groups, so I won't go through it all here.

-Byron

Choppy_Idle 01-13-2018 10:54 AM

Will, doesn't Jordan give u a fully refund of the melted ones?

Greetz
Ron

Byron 01-13-2018 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Choppy_Idle (Post 19809875)
Will, doesn't Jordan give u a fully refund of the melted ones?

Greetz
Ron

He is aware of it. Don't know why he won't. It's not like I need a new pair.

-Byron

BudRacing 01-13-2018 12:58 PM

Rather than a refund, I'd be more inclined to think he'd send a new set if something failed.

Byron 01-13-2018 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by BudRacing (Post 19809946)
Rather than a refund, I'd be more inclined to think he'd send a new set if something failed.

To be honest it's far down the list of priorities right now.

I'm working on getting that beautiful beast of a tranzilla out of UAE customs. 😎

Then I'll worry about the mounts. International shipping wouldn't be worth a new set both ways, so I just pretty much write it off.

-Byron

vroom_vroom 01-13-2018 07:10 PM

Ooooo how bad is that with customs?

Byron 01-13-2018 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom (Post 19810185)
Ooooo how bad is that with customs?

So it cleared customs in Dubai. No issue there.

Then as the car is in Abu Dhabi, an hour away, they delivered it to Abu Dhabi for customs inspection.

As of an hour ago (it's 0510 am) it just cleared and should be ready for delivery this morning to the shop doing the install.

New taxes are 5% on any thing above $275 USD and if considered luxury goods up to 25%. Plus additional VAT of 5%.

so customs duties will be painful. $3800 for trans, $1200 shipping and whatever the tax is on arrival. I'm estimating $200.

Just the cost of international pimpin.

-Byron

JPCTS-V04 01-13-2018 07:39 PM

I’m going to order the UMI mounts on Monday. I really appreciate everyone’s input. I’ll follow up after installation! Thanks again