Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

H&r vs eibach

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&r vs eibach

been awhile since ive posted. V is running strong, however my eibach springs seem to be sitting too low, dont know if they’be sagged over time. But damn im rubbing all the time, cant even get my fingers between the front tire and the fender.. rears i cut about half a coil, im widened so i had rubbing with peeps in the back. Now its worse, temp fix was spacering the springs, but its not helping anymore.
just bought some h&rs new , front struts, and am going to replace the control arm bushings, already did the rears. But damned if the front h&r arent a tad shorter than the eibachs. Should have bought gc lol. Any difinitive on spring rates between the two and drop rate. I thought h&rs sat higher?
Old 05-14-2018, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought the Eibachs were said to be slightly lower than the H&Rs... I put 3/8" rubber spacers front and rear that I cut out of rubber sheet from McMaster Carr. Rears in the spring pocket on the control arm, and fronts between the lower spring flange and the coil spring rubber isolator. That put me nearly around where I wanted to be, which is closer to flush where the top of the fender is at the top of the tire--not tucking. I think my fronts still barely tuck with stock size tires, though.

In retrospect, I should have just installed an inexpensive set of coilovers to begin with as I replaced all of the shocks, even considering that I bought the car with H&Rs already on it. It would have ridden better and been adjustable. Longevity of coilover shocks could be questionable, though.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Do you have a pic of how your cars sits?
I haven’t fully installed the springs yet, but side by side comparison the eibachs are taller. The tears would have been quite a bit taller had I not trimmed them. The eibachs are also thicker. Got me worried that when I button up the h&rs it will be slammed. I got widened rims and 295 tires to accommodate in the rear. It’s been awhile, but I’ll try to post a pic of mine
Old 05-14-2018, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

The first two pics is how it used to sit. Over time The front is definitely sitting lower now, no fender gap at all and I had them shimmed too

Last edited by tommycompton; 05-14-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Not the best angles for what you're looking for, but it's all I've got for now. I don't take many pictures of the car.

H&r vs eibach-8xqjzqf.jpg

H&r vs eibach-ux6imsb.jpg

H&r vs eibach-h9yfnc8.jpg
Old 05-16-2018, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Why would you cut coils?

Contact the manufacturer for the information you seek.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, wait. Tommy, you installed Eibachs and then cut half a coil off the Eibach rear springs? Was this before your realized the rear Nivomat shocks were messing with the height?
Old 05-17-2018, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

I did this before widening the rears, I modified my shocks to allow for the added drop. I leveled out the eibachs by trimming the rears, might have been only 1/4 coil, it’s been so long I can’t remember.

just realized one of my rears has a leak, I think I’m probably due for an alignment too, could explain the rubbing on that side.. either way I want the front up a tad too. It looks by your pics, that your front is sitting higher, your rear looks about the same as I’m currently sitting.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Considering one of the rear shocks is leaking, I wouldn't look to replace it with a $250 OEM for a nivomat feature you don't necessarily want. I'm not sure what your rear wheel clearance allows, though, so it's tough to make a suggestion. I know if I were in the position to replace the rear shocks (again) I'd be thinking about giving BC coilovers a shot. A full set is like $1k.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I wish they were in my budget. Going through a separation right now, so just trying to get her road worthy until I get back on my feet.
i wish I had the extra funds, I’d be pushing my beast for more power as we speak. Fully built just can’t justify dyno time and a few extra parts.

i think I want to keep the ninovat shocks, I kind of like the feature even if it’s somewhat wasted on my set up.