Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Car running like crap in HOT weather, PERFECT IN COLD weather. NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Car running like crap in HOT weather, PERFECT IN COLD weather. NEED HELP

hello all, looking for some help here. I’m stumped. I drive a 2001 Camaro SS and am pretty good with these motors. Did and H/C/I myself came out great anyway, A buddy of mine drives a 2005 CTS V ls6 I’m posting on here for him. Some info about the car is It’s manual, stock exhaust no mods except for k&n intake and filter, stock tune and all. So we’ve tried everything we can think of. The car runs great in the cold weather at all engine temps. As soon as it’s hot outside like 85+ degrees the car runs like crap, breaks up, lags... all that. The CEL goes on and off for the MAF sensor depending on the weather. When it’s cold outside air it runs strong like it should with no CEL. When it’s hot out it runs crappy with barely any power and lags and breaks up, CEL comes on and we check it. It comes up for MAF sensor. We replaced the MAF sensor MULTIPLE times with the oem one and still the same issue. We put on a fresh new k&n intake and still the same thing. Also tried a dry filter and new maf and still the same thing. We’re trying to figure out what it can be, we are stumped!! Really need some help and pointers here!!! The car is getting around 7.8 mpg when being drivin “like it should” not sure if that’s normal mpg for it, anyway. Any help or input is greatly appreciated. Thankyou in advance, Andrew.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like an air leak to me.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by heavymetals
Sounds like an air leak to me.
great Thankyou for the response going to take a look and see if i can find one. Any suggestions on what I can use to find if there is one? Maybe some sort of spray like starter fluid or something?
Old 09-08-2018, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup. Spray starting fluid around the engine bay until you hear the engine stumble.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

You mentioned a K&N intake.

Any chance the filter may have been over oiled? If so have you tried using MAF sensor cleaner to clean up the MAF?

-Byron
Old 09-08-2018, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
Yup. Spray starting fluid around the engine bay until you hear the engine stumble.
Originally Posted by Byron
You mentioned a K&N intake.

Any chance the filter may have been over oiled? If so have you tried using MAF sensor cleaner to clean up the MAF?

-Byron
will do with the starter spray and no as mentioned above in the post. We tried a dry air filter with a fresh maf and still same result
Old 09-08-2018, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Use a propane torch (unlit!) and spray around areas that are suspect.

You might have a crack on the intake tube.

Sounds a bit strange that it runs ok at any engine temp.

There might be some crap floating around in the fuel system that dislodges when warm (?) as that is the only engine related running component away from the engine bay besides the ECM.

Also, the ECM may have become heat sensitive, but highly unlikely.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

you think the IAT sensor is seeing a higher temp than the parameters in the ECU are set up for and its pulling major timing?
Old 09-09-2018, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SE-R Spec
you think the IAT sensor is seeing a higher temp than the parameters in the ECU are set up for and its pulling major timing?
The weird part is the OP says the car is fine in cold weather even after it warms up.

Ergo, my thinking is then it must be something away from the engine bay, the gas tank and the ECM being two.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by heavymetals
The weird part is the OP says the car is fine in cold weather even after it warms up.

Ergo, my thinking is then it must be something away from the engine bay, the gas tank and the ECM being two.
Thankyou all for your input. I will be testing this tomorrow or Tuesday and get back to you guys with answers. I will be trying starter fluid or propane whatever I can get my hands on first lol. Thanks I will let you know what we find!
Old 09-11-2018, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

7.8 MPG is suspect as well. Even driving it without regard to mileage should net you 13+ if you're actually getting somewhere.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah. Fwiw I drive less than 2 miles each way to work and still nearly get 12...