Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Good Price on an 05?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Price on an 05?

I am looking at an 05 CTSV with 103k miles and a salvage title from a fender bender. The car looks to be in good shape with a few mods, fast intake, larger TB, Kooks headers and cats with corsa exhaust, new clutch and a few other things. They are asking $9k. Seems like a good deal if it checks out and there are no real issues. Any thoughts or things to look for when I go see it? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not a bad price and that is low mileage for its age. Condition varies greatly with age, though.

When test driving:
If you notice low speed clunking when engaging/disengaging the clutch it's probably the forward differential bushing.
If you can get under it, you can also check for a lot of aftermarket bushing upgrades and the version if differential it has.
The 4th and final iteration had a part number that started with a 2. The three prior versions all started with 1 and were considerably weaker.
The driveshaft center support may be sagging. You should ask if it's ever been replaced. When you take it out on the highway, pay attention to vibrations in 6th gear at various cruising speeds. It should be a deal breaker, but it's a minimum $500 repair for a remedied driveshaft from a fellow forum member.
Transmission and motor mounts: check for condition, stock or aftermarket. Aftermarket is generally good, but can introduce some vibrations due to the polyurethane.
The stock mounts don't hold up well over time. Motor mounts crack and leak their fluid, often around 30k miles. Trans mount last longer, but tends to sage over time due to the void in the middle. A poly insert is a common remedy shy of replacing the entire mount.
Other things to check are sun damage parts--headlights, wiper cowls, dash vent.
The C pillars plastic mounting tabs often break during some high speed runs with the rear windows down. I'd give them a little nudge to see how well they're mounted.
Water spots on any of the pillars or headliner could indicate a clogged sunroof drain. The front drains are easy to access, the rear drains require lowering the headliner.

I'm sure there's more, but those are right off the top of my head.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I got a reply email back this morning that sometimes the sunroof sticks a couple inches from closing and found out this is common I guess. Nothing else to note the seller said. It did have the differential replaced 11K miles ago and Rev Shift Cradlle and Subframe bushings. Also said it has an anti wheel hop kit.
I know all savage vehicles are a risk but this seems to be a decent deal. The most sketchy thing to me is the sunroof not closing.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, my sunroof has done this from day 1 too. Some plastic arm snapped and sticks in the way of the glass while closing. If I reach up and hold it down as it's closing and remove my hand as soon as the glass has slid over it, it closes fine. I generally only use the pop up feature of the sunroof anyway.