Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

starter removal help

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter removal help

Hello,
So im removing my starter to replace it and it seems stuck. I have removed the 2 long bolts and disconnected the connector and the positive cable. It moves about 2 inches and then seem to catch, no idea. I have longtube headers but it doesnt seem to be hitting those, although im gonna remove them if i cant figure this out soon. Any ideas?
Again starter slides about 2 inches out of the housing befor it feels stuck, it could be hitting something that i can see of feel like the motor mounts or headers but i though i'd ask for ideas befor i remove those.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

It's been a while since the last time I had mine out, but I think you do need to angle the starter away from the block as you slide it forward in order to clear the motor mount where it's bolted to the block.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by rwarden90
Hello,
So im removing my starter to replace it and it seems stuck. I have removed the 2 long bolts and disconnected the connector and the positive cable. It moves about 2 inches and then seem to catch, no idea. I have longtube headers but it doesnt seem to be hitting those, although im gonna remove them if i cant figure this out soon. Any ideas?
Again starter slides about 2 inches out of the housing befor it feels stuck, it could be hitting something that i can see of feel like the motor mounts or headers but i though i'd ask for ideas befor i remove those.
Just be patient and keep wiggling and it should come out. Sometimes it gets hung up on the engine ground and/or the oil level sensor on the pan so you have to drop the back of the starter downward as your removing.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So... it seemed to just be slightly caught in the teeth. All it ended up needing was for me to rotate the wheels abit and poof poped right out.